GF Sandwich Bread Recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please help! I'm recently GF and would like my kids to be as well, but the bread thing has me stumped. My 13 yo son eats french toast almost daily, and takes sandwiches for school lunches. He hates udi's and I hate the price. Anyone? There are a million GF bread recipes, and I really don't want to buy every flour under the sun to try tons of recipes if there is someone who has a great one already!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The easiest thing to do when you first start is find alternatives that don't rely on bread. Like pancakes or waffles instead of french toast. Or scrambled eggs and bacon. Or an omelette. Or hash (any meat and any potato). 

The gluten breads don't stay together that well for French toast, though the ones made with eggs will work better. Buckwehat Pete has some good recipes for pitas and English muffins and such (the recipes cost a little, but not much, and were worth it to me). Do a search for his name and you'll find it. I have a sandwich bread, but it does involve a few different flours. and I've been working on an English muffin recipe as well. There's also a popular gluten free French bread that uses egg white. I wasn't that impressed and my son can't have egg, so we only made it once. King Arthur bread mix is good, but around here it's $7 to make one loaf, so not very cheap. Good, cheap, easy gluten free bread is the bane of my existence. If you go to celiac.com they probably have some tried-and-true recipes that only avoid gluten.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My kids and I really like this bread: http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-bread-20/ My husband doesn't like it. He thinks it's a bit grainy. I disagree. I think it has a texture similar to zucchini bread. You could probably make french toast out of it and probably a sandwich. I'm not a sandwich person so I'm not sure. We eat it with jelly or almond butter and jelly as an open faced sandwich. We also eat open face rice cakes with nut butter and jelly or cream cheese.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I'm going to try it this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

My kids and I really like this bread: http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-bread-20/ My husband doesn't like it. He thinks it's a bit grainy. I disagree. I think it has a texture similar to zucchini bread. You could probably make french toast out of it and probably a sandwich. I'm not a sandwich person so I'm not sure. We eat it with jelly or almond butter and jelly as an open faced sandwich. We also eat open face rice cakes with nut butter and jelly or cream cheese.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Tell that to a teenager! :)  I'm just bread-free and fine with it. However, my son refuses to attempt GF until I come up with something to replace bread. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

The easiest thing to do when you first start is find alternatives that don't rely on bread. Like pancakes or waffles instead of french toast. Or scrambled eggs and bacon. Or an omelette. Or hash (any meat and any potato). 

The gluten breads don't stay together that well for French toast, though the ones made with eggs will work better. Buckwehat Pete has some good recipes for pitas and English muffins and such (the recipes cost a little, but not much, and were worth it to me). Do a search for his name and you'll find it. I have a sandwich bread, but it does involve a few different flours. and I've been working on an English muffin recipe as well. There's also a popular gluten free French bread that uses egg white. I wasn't that impressed and my son can't have egg, so we only made it once. King Arthur bread mix is good, but around here it's $7 to make one loaf, so not very cheap. Good, cheap, easy gluten free bread is the bane of my existence. If you go to celiac.com they probably have some tried-and-true recipes that only avoid gluten.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 PM

we love the food for life g/f english muffins. also, bob's red mill has a really tasty g/f bread mix that we bake at home. easy, relatively cheap (under 4 bucks for the bagged mix, but you have to add ingredients and do the work), good texture, reminds me of my grandmother's speacial thanksgiving rolls. yummy.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

Old 09-05-2011, 02:54 PM

I have been using this recipe:

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/finally-really-good-sandwich-bread/

I use regular yeast and bake it in the oven, as I don't have a bread machine.

I hate bean flour, so I use sorghum flour instead of soy flour.

I also have used part cornstarch and part tapioca starch -- doesn't seem to change the recipe.

We're off eggs, so I have been using Ener-G egg replacer.

This recipe seems complex, but it's really easy.  Use 1/2 cup for each part when you make the flour mix and you'll have just about the right amount for a double recipe (2 loaves).

The bread is a little soft and sticky (certainly less so with eggs than egg replacer), but toasts up really nicely and firms up a bit on the second or third day.  Really nice crust, if you don't like that you can store it in a bag in the refrigerator for soft crust.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM

Food for Life has a pretty good brown rice bread thats fruit juice sweetened and makes a killer french toast, but i dont know if the kiddos would go for that one. Kinnikinik just has no nutritional value whatsoever, so dont bother- unless you are doing hamburgers, then their buns are exeptional. Food for Life also has brown rice wraps that are pretty good.

As for making breads, loaf breads are more my moms department. I've never been good with those, but I can make a killer muffin!

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup flour of your preferance (I like either sorgum or 1/2 sorgum 1/2 coconut or chestnut flour)

1/2 cup Craisins (can be substituted with nuts, chocolate chips, carob chips, or blueberries)

1 egg (or 1 small banana, or 1 small travel cup applesauce)

2 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil

1/2 cup almond or hazelnut milk (I use goat milk or applejuice if I'm doing vegan)

1/4 cup flax meal

2 tsp gluten free/corn free baking powder

1 tsp salt (I sometimes omit this)

3-4 tbsp honey, depending on preferance of sweetness 

Preheat oven to 425. Mash banana if using, mix with dry ingredients. Add nuts/Craisins/chips and mix to coat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Pour into muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until brown. Add maybe five minutes extra if working with banana or applesauce. 

Even my husband will hoover these, and he HATES gf breads!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Can't wait to try these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensMommy View Post

Food for Life has a pretty good brown rice bread thats fruit juice sweetened and makes a killer french toast, but i dont know if the kiddos would go for that one. Kinnikinik just has no nutritional value whatsoever, so dont bother- unless you are doing hamburgers, then their buns are exeptional. Food for Life also has brown rice wraps that are pretty good.

As for making breads, loaf breads are more my moms department. I've never been good with those, but I can make a killer muffin!

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup flour of your preferance (I like either sorgum or 1/2 sorgum 1/2 coconut or chestnut flour)

1/2 cup Craisins (can be substituted with nuts, chocolate chips, carob chips, or blueberries)

1 egg (or 1 small banana, or 1 small travel cup applesauce)

2 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil

1/2 cup almond or hazelnut milk (I use goat milk or applejuice if I'm doing vegan)

1/4 cup flax meal

2 tsp gluten free/corn free baking powder

1 tsp salt (I sometimes omit this)

3-4 tbsp honey, depending on preferance of sweetness 

Preheat oven to 425. Mash banana if using, mix with dry ingredients. Add nuts/Craisins/chips and mix to coat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Pour into muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until brown. Add maybe five minutes extra if working with banana or applesauce. 

Even my husband will hoover these, and he HATES gf breads!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Try this.. Elan modified her bread 2.0 to something more fluffier and with less fancy ingredients and way less flax meal.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakti77 View Post

Try this.. Elan modified her bread 2.0 to something more fluffier and with less fancy ingredients and way less flax meal.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/

How had I not noticed that?! Looks awesome! Will be trying it soon and will post back. 

Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM

I have been using Pamela's bread mix to make GF pancakes and waffles.  With bread, I have had little luck, it falls apart very easily when I make my own using Red Mill flours.  I am going to try the recipes mentioned above. 

User Tag List