Sugar free baking suggestions needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to eliminate refined sugar from my household and STRUGGLING! The stuff is everywhere! Does anyone have suggestions for recipes/blogs/cookbooks/tips for baking without sugar, brown sugar, etc. And I'm not looking to replace it with artificial sweeteners...I'm thinking fruit? Fruit juice? Stevia? But I'm not that great a baker and new to this sugar-free lifestyle.

Enjoying my time with Hattie Beth(8/30/10) and remembering Mizuko Fievel (8/26/09)

#2 of 6 Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Honey is great in baked goods, sometimes I can take a mainstream recipe (cookie, quickbread like banana etc) and instead of sugar use 1/3 the amount in honey. Brownies won't work that way though, they get picky on ratios. If it takes brown sugar add a bit of molasses too.

#3 of 6 Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

you would need to search for what type of item you want to make and see if there is a different version

you can not just sub one for another- honey is an example, the properties do not just switch and you may need to play around with certain things if you do use honey or molasses and re-adjust the "dry" items because both honey and molasses will add more moisture and effect the final outcome

personally I would not bake with honey due to the changes it causes to the nutritional benefits by heating the honey at baking temps

some thing simple -apple sauce can be added, other things you might just want to greatly reduce the amount of sugar called for and still get a great product

depending on what you are making somethings need no sweeter or can be added at the end- pudding/custards can always have fruit or honey added when finished and only a small amount and still be sweet

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are now gluten free, dairy free, cane sugar free due to food sensitivities. I use coconut palm sugar in place of cane sugar. It's still a refined sugar and it has a caramel taste, but it is lower glycemic index.

Many of the baked goods I've been making come from www.elanaspantry.com. Man are they good. She uses agave syrup. If it's just a little bit, I replace with honey 1:1 amount. If it's a lot of syrup, I'm afraid honey will overwhelm food so I replace part of the agave syrup with honey.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 6 Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 PM

I am still learning about alternatives too and have made many disasters!

Here are two sites I’ve tried with some recipes turning out  better than others:

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/search/label/Cake%20and%20Cupcakes

http://www.dld123.com/sweetsavvy/

My family HATES stevia!  Even if there are only a few drops they can taste it and won’t eat it.

That is why the  recipes in  Spunky Coconut did not work for us. I have been meaning to try them using something else like coconut sugar instead of  Stevia.

#6 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM

If you don't mind erythriol and xylitol I would recommend http://www.healthyindulgences.net. She also uses stevia quite a bit. I made her sugar free vanilla ice cream last week and it was really good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page