sodium nitrite vs. sodium nitrate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just ordered milk, eggs and bacon delivery from a local farm co-op. I'm so excited because they are local, don't use antibiotics or hormones, and the eggs are free range. The bacon is advertised as "sodium nitrate free" on their website. Today we got our delivery and the ingredients list "sodium nitrite." I've always used the terms interchangeably, but obviously they see a difference. I looked the terms up and they appear to be similar food preservatives that are both dangerous. I'm trying to figure out more before I call the farm. Is this sneaky advertising or am I missing something?

#2 of 7 Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Very sneaky!  I would be upset.

Sodium nitrite is the most commonly used curing salt.  It is used for short term curing, such as hams, bacon, and corned beef, to give it the characteristic pink color and prevent botulism. 

Sodium nitrate is only used for long term curing, such as for dry-cured sausages.  Sodium nitrate will eventually transform into sodium nitrite over time during the curing process. 

I don't think nitrate is ever used for bacon, unless it is the vegetable form.  So they weren't lying, but it was very misleading information.

I'm not positive on this, but it might be a requirement that all cured meats have some form of nitrite, be it manufactured sodium nitrite or "natural" sodium nitrate from celery seed or other root vegetables (the nitrate changes into nitrite during curing).  Unless you are curing and smoking your own, it will be hard to find absolutely no-nitrite bacon.  But the celery salt cured stuff is good enough for me!

#3 of 7 Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 AM

There probably is some state/federal requirement for meats that are sold commercially. Just like you can't sell raw milk cheese unless it is aged x days or something.

#4 of 7 Old 08-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

this is from the Applegate Farm's web site-   http://www.applegatefarms.com/resources/nitrates_and_nitrites.aspx

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Wow that is very sneaky, I would be very upset and I would demand a refund! 

#6 of 7 Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Wow that is very sneaky, I would be very upset and I would demand a refund! 

no it's not, there is a difference they are not interchangeable terms

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I would avoid them both, and I do not consider either of them natural at all.  A person who is not educated in what the difference is assumes that there is no difference, so they are not likely to check the label for either of these things and instead just trust what the packaging says.  The company plays on this so customers will think it is completely free of preservatives when in reality yes they did tell the truth, but were only talking about 1 of the 2 problem ingredients.  If that makes any sense.  Either way, I would be upset and demand a refund.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page