non traditional non gluten breakfast foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

hi mamas please spam me with non traditional bfast foods please.

i noticed gluten makes dd sleepy and tired.

so gluten is avoided - not a big no no. i find if wheat or other gluten foods are a minor part of her diet she does ok. 

recently we attended a buddhist retreat and dd LOVED, LOVED their bfast and all other meals. we had sphagetti for bfast with soy protein i think.

i made dd some seaweed soup (real seaweed not nori) with rice as the main base and then i throw in different ingredients like either stir fry veggies or straight veggies without frying. 

she does not like milk, she does not like dried fruit or raisin or nuts in her oatmeal. she likes spices like cinammon, nuttmeg, etc.

i also do a potato pepper onion and egg stirfry that she loves.

i am going to get some rice and bean noodles - she loves them for bfast lunch and dinner.

i need recipe ideas. 

any thoughts?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

www.elanaspantry.com has a recipe for blueberry muffins made from coconut flour. Plus tons of almond flour recipes. I have a coconut flour cookbook, you can search it on amazon.com

I got this from someone else and have meant to make it. Maybe soon.

Quick Quinoa Breakfast with Warm Cinnamon Apples

Try making a double batch of the apples (use a larger pan) and save some in the fridge for the next few breakfasts. You can also add fresh or frozen cranberries to the apples or dried fruit such as raisins or currants. Try using other fruit in place of the apples such as fresh or frozen peaches or plums. We make large pots of quinoa but you can make a small pot like I do in this recipe.

How to Make a Pot of Quinoa:

1 cup quinoa

1 3/4 cups water

pinch sea salt

Rinse and drain the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer to remove the bitter saponin coating. Place rinsed quinoa in a small pot and add water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

Cinnamon Apple Topping:.

1 to 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil

3 apples (I used Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and sliced thin

1/4 cup honey or maple syrup

1/4 cup water or apple juice

2 to 3 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

pinch sea salt

Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil. Once the oil is melted add your apples and saute far a few minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the honey, water, spices and salt. Stir and let simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until apples are cooked as desired.

Top each bowl of quinoa with apples and chopped or ground nuts.

Other Ideas for a Healthy Gluten-Free Breakfast:

·                  A bowl of cooked quinoa and cooked lentils topped with a sprinkling of Herbamare. Sliced apples on the side. (our kids love this - it is a favorite)

·                  Finely diced potatoes sauteed with chopped onions and cumin then rolled in a rice tortilla with black beans and salsa.

·                  Leftover cooked rice and cooked garbanzo beans topped with a little Herbamare, green smoothie on the side.

·                  Sweet Rice Cereal (recipe in our cookbook) topped with pure Grade B maple syrup and chopped nuts.

·                  Buckwheat Pancakes (recipe in our cookbook) topped with fresh fruit and pure Grade B maple syrup.

·                  Teff Breakfast Muffin with a tall glass of Green Smoothie.

These are just a few ideas that don't involve gluten, dairy, eggs, corn, or soy, some of the top foods that can elicit a host of health-related issues.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fried rice for breakfast (maybe with extra 5 spice powder in it if she likes cinnamon, etc a lot - with egg, bit of veg).

I also like to top rice leftovers or home cooked indian food leftovers with a fried egg for breakfast, extra excellent with a cilantro or tamarind sauce if we happen to have it.

Custards are nice for breakfast too - we often had pumpkin custard for breakfast, and I've made a 'breakfast flan' before too.

We've also gotten 'rise and shine breakfast cereal' which is well- liked at our house and also gluten free (as it's brown rice grits).  Grits can get cooked sweet (with sugar & butter - or add fried apples or apple butter) or savory (with eggs, cheese, etc).

#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

miso soup w/a good amount of tofu

chana dal-make a bunch ahead of time, and reheat in the morning.  serve alone or over rice.

tacos, using corn tortillas

#5 of 6 Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My favorite breakfast these days is brown rice w/craisins, cinnamon, agave syrup and vanilla coconut milk.

On special days we make "egg pizza" basically egg fritatta...saute some onions, mushrooms, raw spinach, scamble eggs, mix it all together in a large skillet and let it cook. Adding cheese or bacon or turkey sausage is yummy too!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#6 of 6 Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I love having soup for breakfast - just about any kind will do!

Top a corn tortilla with some beans, salsa and cheese and heat it up. Top with an egg and some chopped lettuce and green onion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page