Recipes for Rice Krispie type treats??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am looking for a simple recipe for a gluten free cereal krispie type treat? I was thinking of making hm marshmellows and then making the treats with Berry Berry Kix(gluten free) and extra vanilla...do you think it would work making them like the rice krispie treat way? I thought if it worked it could sub for both a treat/and or cereal bar? L loves berry berry kix and marshmellows..but she won't eat the kix in the regular sense of a bowl of cereal..She just doesn't like it..Anyone ever try this and it came out good and tastey??

#2 of 14 Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

you are avoiding rice-correct?

personally I would not touch the Kix (I don't like the "colors") - http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Corn-Based/General-Mills-Berry-Berry-Kix-Cereal-11-oz/1551

but if you just want "corn" balls there are these (we just eat them by themselves) - http://www.naturespath.com/products/corn-puffs

they also make millet and kamut puffs as well as rice

if you just used regular corn balls you could add dried fruit and the marshmallows and make it that way- but using the Kix with the regular recipe will also work - some use cocoa puffs (balls just the same)

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

You can use any kind of cereal with marshmallows and a little butter/margarine and get the same result. :-) This reminds me, I've really been wanting to do up a batch of these things. So tasty, for an occasional treat. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is gluten-free and we make these with the Brown Rice Crispie cereal from Erewohn and regular marshmallows (they are labeled GF on the package).  Always a hit in our house!

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#5 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 01:25 PM

i just today saw gluten free rice crispies in my store if that helps anyone

#6 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks..We aren't avoiding rice thank goodness...I chose the berry berry kix because they seem to be gluten free and she likes them dry..Plus they have a bit of color..The color is natural.We really try to avoid food coloring if at all possible..I don't like the new gluten free rice krispies because of the preservatives in them but I know that some rice krispies are natural ...I just havne't found them yet around here and my whole foods is over an hour away and I havne't had the money to make the trip..Thanks for all the tips..I might try making some this weekend and see if they pass the L test..I gave her a popcorn ball today and she took one bite made a face and threw it for my brother's dog to catch..LOL She isn't much for sweeties...

#7 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Sometimes herbal shops have small gluten free sections. Mine does and they have a VERY plain rice crispey cereal for half the brand name stuff. It use to be a buck :(   You may ask at the desk or call around. of course we have a healthy grocery store here with lots of brands. Fred meyer also carried GF off brand rice crispeys. ..

btw made some treats with the new GF brand name crispeys and oh so yum! :)

#8 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 PM

I've never heard of berry kix! Now I would like to try them! Anything like crunch berries. I remember I use to love that stuff when I was a kid lol

#9 of 14 Old 09-04-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Berry Berry Kix aren't really as tastey as Captain Crunch..They just reformulated and are making it with natural colors now..The taste isn't as vivid as it was when it had the fake colors and flavors and they aren't in the shape of berries anymore..Just balls..So the taste and look isn't "vivid"...But what is does do that my L loves even though she isn't a very good cereal with milk eater is the milk turns pink and tastes like "strawberry'' milk..She uses rice milk and thought that was just awesome...It isn't a strong berry flavor but it is tastey...I am thinking of making the treats for her birthday treat for school this week..there are several milk allergy kids in her class and these would work for everyone...

#10 of 14 Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Rice Chex are gluten free.  Those would be yummy.  Maybe add a little something else, coconut, dried fruit, etc.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#11 of 14 Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

I make meatless meatloaf with rice chex :) 

#12 of 14 Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 AM

I made one that was a bar with melted chocolate chips and Rice Chex, and marshmallows, that was sort of like a s'mores bar. I think I added a little cinnamon too for that graham cracker flavor... And I used homemade marshmallows as well. Worked just fine.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#13 of 14 Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

I made one that was a bar with melted chocolate chips and Rice Chex, and marshmallows, that was sort of like a s'mores bar. I think I added a little cinnamon too for that graham cracker flavor... And I used homemade marshmallows as well. Worked just fine.

Got a recipe for that?  I suck at "throwing things together" but I know my kid would be all over that. 

Mama of three.

#14 of 14 Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM

I made rice crispys the other day with the plain organic rice puffs and it was so gross.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page