#31 of 41 Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I did some canning this year and got:

14 Pints and 3 half pints of Sweet Pickle Relish

14 Pints of Peaches

7 Pints of diced Roma tomatoes

25 Quarts of Pears. Why so many pears? Well DS loves them and my MIL found a local no spray farm that was selling them already picked for only 30 cents a pound. We canned them together.

I also froze some peas, beets and swiss chard from my garden.

DH picked blackberries but instead of making jam he gave them to his friend who makes his own "hooch" LOL

#32 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM

I did some canning (though it feels like serious canning) and here's what I put up:

4 pints of sliced pears

4 pints of sliced plums

4 pints of sliced peaches

16 qts of sliced apples

16 pints of applesauce (which may become apple/pear butter at some point)

16 pints of salsa

6 half-pints of green tomato relish (I will make it spicier next year)

4 jars of peach jam

4 jars of blueberry jam

4 jars of plum jam

In the freezer:

6 batches of corn on the cob (4 cobs each)

8 1lb batches of zuchinni/summer squash

8 2cup servings of shredded zuchinni

5 4oz servings of pesto (without nuts & cheese)

This goes with the normal staples of my 12 qts of chicken stock, numerous pints of beans and 10 qts of speghetti sauce.  These get replenished on a regular basis. 

Phew I'm tired and now I know why I don't want to see my waterbath canner until next season winky.gif

Next year though I hope to do more and get more preserved to start eating more seasonally vs. what we can pick up in the grocery store.  Already I'm eyeballing a food dehydrator, and possibly another small chest freezer and some new shelves for my basement pantry as many of my shevles look like they are about to fall down. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#33 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 11:12 AM

I am in the minority here with my little bits and batches (gotta start somewhere, right?), but I wanted to add that I also made a batch of caramel apple jam that is very tasty. Mostly I made this for my husband because he loves jams and jelly. Not the healthiest thing ever because it has a ton of sugar but very good flavor.

#34 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

I am in the minority here with my little bits and batches (gotta start somewhere, right?), but I wanted to add that I also made a batch of caramel apple jam that is very tasty. Mostly I made this for my husband because he loves jams and jelly. Not the healthiest thing ever because it has a ton of sugar but very good flavor.

You are not alone with the small batches. smile.gif

I am getting ready to make some pepper relish, and I probably have enough for 3 pints or so. I'm not even sure if it's worth getting the canner out. I might just refrigerate and give them away (minus 1 can for me, of course!).

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#35 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 02:22 PM

I tried to use my grandpa's green gage plum tree to make my grandma's lovely tart golden jam...but my whole batch was brown, not gold! Tastes good though--wish I knew grandmas sercet ;)

#36 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy212 View Post

Small batches are the way to go. I swear, every time I do a double batch of tomatoes in a day (14 quarts) I get blown away by how much work it is, even though I enjoy it. I just don't know how the people who puts up ten times that in a day gets it done! Not to mention our foremothers, many of whom had to do giant batches of preserving at a time in order to feed their families for an entire year at a time. I have so much respect for that!

Also, caramel apple jam sounds really good. :-)

I've still got half a bushel of apples left to contend with, and I have got to get them done tomorrow before they start to spoil, since I don't have them in cold storage. I'm debating which is easier - canning another 7-10 quarts plain in water, or cooking them into my pie filling for the freezer. They're the same amount of work really... well actually, now that I'm thinking about this - it really boils down to storage space. I'm out of pantry space, but my chest freezer is only a third full... so freezer pie filling it is. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#37 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 PM

My grandma called me a few days ago and told me that she had a bushel of apples for me. Last night, I cooked them all and made applesauce. Now my crockpot is full of apple butter that's been cooking down since last night. My house smells so good! The apple butter is definitely getting canned, but I'm not sure if I want to can or freeze the applesauce.

I got 4-5 dozen green peppers from my grandma, too. I didn't count, but there was a TON of them! I cut them all into strips, flash froze them, and dumped them in a freezer bag. The whole time I was cutting them up, I kept thinking that there must be an easier way. headscratch.gif

My next project is lacto-fermenting. I have a couple more things to get to make my own fermenting jars, and then I'm going to try some sauerkraut and ginger carrots. Anyone else do any fermenting? That counts as food preserving, right? smile.gif

#38 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

My next project is lacto-fermenting. I have a couple more things to get to make my own fermenting jars, and then I'm going to try some sauerkraut and ginger carrots. Anyone else do any fermenting? That counts as food preserving, right? smile.gif

Putting up food so you can eat it later - counts in my book. :-)

I've dabbled in fermenting. I did a batch of sauerkraut last year that did not turn out, but I want to try it again and learn to get it right. I love sauerkraut so making my own would be so much more cost effective than buying it, and I could try different recipes. 

What kind of set up do you plan to use? I'd like to get an air lock lid for a large mason, but cash is tight so I think I'm going to try my next batch the low-budget way - I've got a gallon sized glass pickle jar a friend saved for me, and I'm going to use a coffee filter for the lid. Or I might try preserving in pint jars and see how that works out. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#39 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM

This is the set-up I'm making- http://gnowfglins.com/2010/07/16/diy-airlock-fruit-and-veggie-ferments/, except I am using the plastic storage lids and the other kind of airlock (3 piece instead of the 
"s" airlock that's shown). I'll let you know how it goes!

The recipe on the page you linked looks delish... must try!

#40 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 04:48 PM

We just canned a couple dozen jars of pineapple sage flower jelly, and lemon balm jelly. Yum! We're pulling our tomato plants this week, so the green tomatoes will probably be turned into a sort of chile verde.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#41 of 41 Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

This is the set-up I'm making- http://gnowfglins.com/2010/07/16/diy-airlock-fruit-and-veggie-ferments/, except I am using the plastic storage lids and the other kind of airlock (3 piece instead of the 
"s" airlock that's shown). I'll let you know how it goes!

The recipe on the page you linked looks delish... must try!

I had no idea making an airlock was so cheap! If I have trouble with my method, I'll have to spend a couple of bucks on this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page