A Waste Free Lunch Story from a Reuseit Mom + an Offer to Win Her Fav Lunch Pack- Congrats Ell-Bell - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have never seen glass snapware before. We used to use Lock & Lock plastic containers before we switched over to all metal and glass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Reuseit.com has a lot of cute kids' water bottles that would be perfect for a school lunch.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM

I really like the choices of lunch containers and the variety of prices.  Love this site.  The article was great.  Thanks!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

I love the variety of food containers at REuseit! The Lunchbots Stainless steel containers are great...will have to pick up a few of those! Also, I love the Nalgene food containers! We use these at work (a research lab) and they are great, but I've never seen them marketed for food. What a great idea!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM

We are big fans of the Wrap-N-Mat to replace plastic baggies, but now I have my eye on the WasteNot Saks Snack Bags. It would be great to pack snacks and fruit in them, and also to carry them around to put in leftover snacks!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 AM

lunch box.......................$ 15

4 plastic containers...........10

1 aluminum container..........5

Nalgene food jar..................5

spork....................................7

sandwich bag.......................9

organic cotton napkin.........12

nalgene bottle.......................7

camelbak bottle..................19

icepack.................................2

Total..................................$91

I know you can do it for less than this by thrifting, making your own napkins, etc. but yikes! I am not spending that kind of scratch for stuff that is all too easily lost/thrown in the trash by accident/forgotten on the playground, etc. What's wrong with reusing yogurt tubs, bread bags and sending foods which need no wrapper? Obviously, I am not out to win the contest here. winky.gif

Also, everyone should know that ice packs don't keep food in the 'safe zone.'

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM

I ADORE the FABKINS napkins for kids. My daughter might have to fight me for them. they are almost to cute to wipe a messy mug!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM

why have i not found reuseit before now. how exciting to have all the great things in one spot. this totally fuels my obsession with lunch packing. do not tell my husband.  I love the spork and the stainless straws.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM

I love all of the "Plastic Bags Blow" products!  We have gotten rid of all of our plastic, and I hope other households will do the same!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Reuseit.com is new to me. I love that you offer so many different items from different manufacturers, so I can easily compare all the options on one site. 

These bento containers are now on my list:

http://www.reuseit.com/store/lock-lock-leakproof-bento-food-containers-p-2838.html#product_details

It would be nice to pack several things without using several tiny containers (that's what I'm doing now because I don't have a larger container with sections). I know my daughter can open and close this type of box, and the reviews look great. I will be getting some reusable shopping bags, too!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Old 09-06-2011, 12:15 PM

I was most impressed by the glass straws, and bamboo case....what a fabulous find!!!!!!......as ALWAYS. and thru the years raising 11 children, MOTHERING has been my guide, and has always taught the best parenting, nursing, and birth skills ........thank-you....PEACEnamaste.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Liked the large range of products offered under one "roof".  We own Kleenkanteen bottles and Wrap 'n' Mats but would like to purchase other items as well.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM

I didn't realize how many different kinds/types of produce bags there were!  Can't wait to get some!!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Love the GoodByn!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 PM

I'd love to get these spill proof reuseable water bottles. We have a few, but not spill proof and we spend a good amount of $ every month on Capri Suns, not to mention the waste.

http://www.reuseit.com/store/sigg-kids-reusable-water-bottle-p-533.html

Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Some parents do find thrifting to be an economic option, but for those who are looking to buy their kids something new for the school year here are some numbers to consider:

• One year of disposable lunches: Brown paper bags ($26 @$4/50 pk) + snack baggies ($85) + bottled water or juice ($260) = $371
  • One year of reusable lunches: Cloth lunch bag ($7) + reusable water bottle ($12) + wrap n mat ($7)+ snack bags ($2) + hemp napkin ($8) = $36
  • Wastefreelunches.org estimates that eliminating disposable packaging and single-serving items can save families $250 a year.

I personally haven't found many ways to reuse single-serving lunch items like empty yogurt cups or bags of chips, but reuseit does have some resources for people looking to reuse other disposables: http://www.reuseit.com/take-action/diy-resources

reuseit.com
Reusables for every part of your life.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM

That is a really excellent point! My son's school composts food waste, and his lunch is waste-free. So other than dropping his apple core into the compost bin, he never goes near a trash can.

reuseit.com
Reusables for every part of your life.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:20 PM

ooh, love the stainless steel, especially the ones that bundleup!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 PM

i love the glass waterbottles! i've never seen those before and i'm not a fan of drinking out of metal. thanks for the clue!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Wow, you really have a wide and interesting product range!  

I found the Orka by Mastrad Vegetable Keep Sacks interesting. I could use something like that, as I notice many veggies need to be kept separate, and we don't have much counter room in our kitchen. We have a real veggie/fuit organization problem, and this would be one idea to solve that!

As a side note, I already have the Eco Charge Solar/Pull Flashlight, and I use it every day when leaving and going back into our bedroom during and after putting my son down for the night. I sit it on the windowsill to charge during the day. We don't even live in a very sunny area, but even so there have been few times I've actually needed to pull to charge it, and the battery has never died. It's great! Highly recommended.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 09-06-2011, 02:27 PM

I love the lunchskins sandwich bags!  And all the stainless steel containers are awesome too.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:32 PM

http://www.reuseit.com/store/laptop-lunch-bento-p-2971.html I am in love!

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Very interested in the snackTAXI Sandwich Bags...I've been wanting an alternative to all those baggies, baggies, baggies!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:37 PM

WasteNot Saks Snack Bag, Carnival Bloom would be great for all 30 of the little fingers in my house AND I love the fabric design!

Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM

I love the idea of sending soup or pasta to school in a thermos.  The Thermos Nissan 10 oz Stainless Steel Food Jar, looks like it would be a perfect size.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM

I've never considered sipping tea through a straw before, but these fascinate me- http://www.reuseit.com/store/loose-leaf-straw-wisdom-wands-p-2325.html. It's so pretty and look at all the tea leaves my Irish mother-in-law could read afterwards. 

Thank you for this well timed contest. I'd love to win, but even if I don't it was a good nudge. I'd been meaning to go back to reuseit and buy another water bottle for my daughter. Contest entered and shopping done shine.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM

I love the muslin produce bags and ALL the food storage items - it's too hard to pick just one!  The reusable sandwich bags are such a great idea; I hate using so many plastic bags.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM

My daughter went to her fist day of preschool today. I didnt; realize we were supposed to send her with a snack (oops). i haven't had a lot of luck finding the right combo of items to form a  good package for her. I love the choices at Reuseit.com.  I also had never even thought about a glass straw. Brilliant!

Babywearing, Co-cleeping, Child-led Weaning Mom to Esther and Edythe
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM

Cool website! I now have it bookmarked. I like these for the kids and these for me! winky.gif

User Tag List