Chicken Broth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone.  I am new to posting but have been lurking awhile.  I was wondering if you all could help me make some chicken broth.  I have 10 pounds of chicken quarters that I want to be able to pick off the meat to freeze for later meals and also get a broth out of it.  I have been searching for directions on how to make broth, but I usually just see it made with bones.  Can I make the broth while at the same time boiling the meat to pick for later use?  How would I do this?  I would really appreciate any tips you all can give.

Thanks so much!

Ginger

ETA:  I can use crockpot or stock pot, whichever is easier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I generally make bone broth after I've eaten the yummy chicken. I break the bones with a kitchen hammer and add a small amount of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar to the water in which I covered the bones with. I use a crock pot and cook all day. Some cook their bone broth more than a day but I find a day is fine for me.

I think folks who make stock generally leave meat on bones or use meaty bones like wings. Maybe someone else will chime in here.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Put in the chicken with some carrots, celery (I use leaves and all), a halved onion and some bay leaves...cover with water and simmer the daylights out of it.  Then strain the stock, pick the chicken off the bones (it will be falling off) and then - voila!  you have stock and nicely tender chicken meat to use as you wish. :)

I usually use a crockpot.....

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much!  I have it in the pot now and am excited to see how it turns out.  I'm feeling very domestic today thumb.gif

Thanks for the help

Ginger

User Tag List