Immersion blender question - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > Immersion blender question
RainbowTurtle's Avatar RainbowTurtle 10:06 AM 09-07-2011

I've been eyeing them for a while and I think I want one.  I make lots of soup, in a big stock pot (20-30 cups?).  I currently transfer the whole thing, batch by batch, into a regular blender and it's a pain!  Can I use the immersion blender in a pot that size?  I know you only put in the tip of it, 6-7 inches or so but if I stir the soup will it really blend the whole pot?  Thank you!

hildare's Avatar hildare 12:25 PM 09-07-2011

yes!  i've always done that.  you can move the blender around.  they rock. 

just be careful not to splatter.  dal is the worst to give you hot liquid soup burns. 

shantimama's Avatar shantimama 05:16 PM 09-07-2011

nod.gif

LaughingHyena's Avatar LaughingHyena 02:32 AM 09-08-2011

I can do a pretty large pot of soup with mine, though it does take quite a while to get it really creamy.

One thing to look out for in reviews is how long you can run the blender for. I was recently looking at a new one and found the instructions said to only run it for 50 seconds in every two minutes! Not anywhere near enough to blend a pot of soup and probably something I would have ignored. However having read several reviews form people who did ignore it and burnt out their blenders I am paying much more attention.

RainbowTurtle's Avatar RainbowTurtle 04:38 AM 09-08-2011

Thanks everyone!  LaughingHyena, that is very good to know, thank you.  I would never have thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

One thing to look out for in reviews is how long you can run the blender for. I was recently looking at a new one and found the instructions said to only run it for 50 seconds in every two minutes!

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 07:07 AM 09-08-2011

My soup recipes make about 10 or 12 cups. I use a Kitchenaid immersion blender. I find it works well but there are occasional chunks of potato or broccoli or carrot that get missed. I could be a little more thorough to get them all. I imagine that would happen a little more in a bigger batch of soup, but I'd just have to be more patient. I really like the immersion blender for soup making, rather than ladling hot soup into a blender. I had more problems with overfilling/overflowing and burns when I used the traditional blender.

4lilfarmers's Avatar 4lilfarmers 08:10 PM 09-28-2011

i love my kitchen aid immersion blender so much that i got rid of my stand blender (and my food processor, as mine came with that attachment also) 

i use it in large batches (8 quarts +) of soup and tomato sauce as well as smoothies, homemade refried beans and even for homemade soap! 

you'll love it! :)

Up