Immersion blender question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been eyeing them for a while and I think I want one.  I make lots of soup, in a big stock pot (20-30 cups?).  I currently transfer the whole thing, batch by batch, into a regular blender and it's a pain!  Can I use the immersion blender in a pot that size?  I know you only put in the tip of it, 6-7 inches or so but if I stir the soup will it really blend the whole pot?  Thank you!

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#2 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 11:25 AM

yes!  i've always done that.  you can move the blender around.  they rock. 

just be careful not to splatter.  dal is the worst to give you hot liquid soup burns. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#3 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

nod.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can do a pretty large pot of soup with mine, though it does take quite a while to get it really creamy.

One thing to look out for in reviews is how long you can run the blender for. I was recently looking at a new one and found the instructions said to only run it for 50 seconds in every two minutes! Not anywhere near enough to blend a pot of soup and probably something I would have ignored. However having read several reviews form people who did ignore it and burnt out their blenders I am paying much more attention.

#5 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!  LaughingHyena, that is very good to know, thank you.  I would never have thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

One thing to look out for in reviews is how long you can run the blender for. I was recently looking at a new one and found the instructions said to only run it for 50 seconds in every two minutes!

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 AM

My soup recipes make about 10 or 12 cups. I use a Kitchenaid immersion blender. I find it works well but there are occasional chunks of potato or broccoli or carrot that get missed. I could be a little more thorough to get them all. I imagine that would happen a little more in a bigger batch of soup, but I'd just have to be more patient. I really like the immersion blender for soup making, rather than ladling hot soup into a blender. I had more problems with overfilling/overflowing and burns when I used the traditional blender.

#7 of 7 Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM

i love my kitchen aid immersion blender so much that i got rid of my stand blender (and my food processor, as mine came with that attachment also) 

i use it in large batches (8 quarts +) of soup and tomato sauce as well as smoothies, homemade refried beans and even for homemade soap! 

you'll love it! :)

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page