Lara bars snack? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Dsd is 13 & recently moved in with us & doing well better emotionally than before living with us. her doc supposedly said she could lose 10 lbs. She is not active. She is Carb addicted & has food issues.

She wanted Luna bars but we said no due to soy. Now she wants Lara bars for an after school snack. Doesn't want any of the fruit or veggie + humus that she picked out. Wants lasts Lara bars or some other pre packaged snack. Ignoring the cost factor, would you give them? I worry 1 about calories/fat & 2 about her using them as meal replacement. I don't know nutrition requirement for teen girls.

advice appreciated!

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I looked through a few of their bars. I've certainly seen far worse snack foods for kids. What I notice is almost all of their products contain dates as the #1 or nearly #1 ingredient. So that is how they get away with not listing 'sugar' specifically, though the date sugar certainly makes up for it.

I would not think those at all suitable as a meal replacement. The protein seems to be from any nuts it contains so it is not likely a complete protein.

#3 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 PM

I love Lara bars as an on the go or small in between meals snack.  They're really easy to make at home too if you can convince her to go that way.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Dp said he would give making them a try. He also is of the opinion that they are no worse & possibly better than her usual pb&j. Not site sure if he is right our not on that one.

#5 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I carry them with me for emergency food for my little kids. I figure it's fruit and nuts as a snack. If your 13 year old is willing to eat them, I wouldn't fight her over it. She's old enough to make lots of choices. She could make LOTS worse. And she can always eat what she wants when you're not around. You can buy them as subscribe and save at amazon.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I make them all the time, but I make them into little balls.  Dried cherries, dates, cinnamon, and almonds are our fav!  MMMMMM, I just got some more cherries and I think I'll make some today and add coconut!

maciascl likes this.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 10 Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Amazon & small portion sized. Now why didn't I think of either of those things!? Thanks!

#8 of 10 Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

I don't have a problem with anyone in my family eating whole foods. Dried fruits and nuts are a healthy snack IMO. We keep Lara bars in our house for snacks and both my kids (1 and 3.5) love them. I don't worry about sugars in fruit.

I don't give the kids Luna bars because there are way too many processed ingredients in them.

#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Lara bars are the one and only "bar" type of food that I will buy for my kids (and myself).  We usually have a dozen or so on hand, and I will offer it if they need a snack.

#10 of 10 Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Lara Bars are our go-to snack for DS. We stay away from the chocolate variety and stick to the original types. He loves them and they're healthy, what's not to like?

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page