Staying Healthy - Boosting Immunity? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 09-13-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I saw a question like this, asked on a non vaccination group on facebook. Unfortunately, it whizzed through my feed to quickly for me to take any notes.

It did get me thinking though.
I have a 4 month old baby, exclusively breastfed, not vaxed. As we approach fall, and cold/flu season here, I'm wondering about what things we can all do to give our immune systems a boost and what things I can do to pass on to her.

Any vitamins, supplements, foods, you all recommend? I just don't want to be taking her out into the world unvaxed and yet, unprepared! 

We eat very well, local foods, unprocessed, etc. I still take my prenatals, I also take Vit. D but am not sure what dosage would be best while I'm bfing and I take a cal/mag. supplement. I just stuck with what I was doing in pregnancy. 
Still I'm wondering what else I can do and what I can add in foodwise as well. 

TIA!

Dani - madly in love with Neil. Lost our little twins brokenheart.gif brokenheart.gif (6/10). So excited to meet our baby girl Ember rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gif in May!

#2 of 22 Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

As long as your baby is not going to daycare, it is uncommon, IME, for the baby to get sick at all if they are EBF and the mother eats healthy.  And vax does not protect against the cold or flu, not even the flu shot, especially in a child under 1 who can not even build antibodies from a vaccine.

As far as eating healthy, I have found that even after DD was weaned, she did not get sick when other kids did(and she was sharing sippy cups with them!).  She eats A LOT of fresh fruits and veggies, all whole foods, nothing artificial or processed and she drinks raw milk, everything is organic.  I also give her these probiotics, these probiotics you can give starting at 3 months http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Probiotics-Kids-3-4-Ounce/dp/B004H9O4VG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316067230&sr=8-3 

When I was BFing her, and I would get sick(always very mild b/c i ate pretty well too, but I did not drink raw milk at the time which I think was part of the prob), she would never get sick because my antibodies were given to her thru my breastmilk.  So, if you get sick, dont worry about her getting sick after you.

I would make sure you are taking whole foods based supps, so that your body can more easily absorb the nutrients.  Something that has natural antibiotic and antiviral properties is raw manuka honey, I get this http://www.vitacost.com/YS-Organic-Bee-Farms-Raw-Manuka-Honey-Hi-Active-15-Plus   I would not give it to your child til probably about 10 months old, but I would take it if you are concerned about getting sick yourself.  I have heard things about Goldenseal and echinacea being good for illness but have not really looked into it.  Maybe I should do that!

#3 of 22 Old 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM

I also shop with Vitacost and they have a lot of items for every age and person. LOVE their free shipping too!!

#4 of 22 Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith8265 View Post

I also shop with Vitacost and they have a lot of items for every age and person. LOVE their free shipping too!!

thumb.gif

I love vitacost, except it seems like their prices have been going up recently and I do not like that.  Another site with similar items is luckyvitamin.com.  They have less food I think though, and more personal care stuff, baking stuff, bottles, etc.  But still quite a bit of food:)  Some of their prices are quite a bit lower than vitacost, some are higher, I just check both sites for items and prices.  I order from vitacost a lot more though.  I just wish both sites had more sales!  Lol

#5 of 22 Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 AM

i also shop with vitacost for many vitamins and supplements. mostly.

R.gif

#6 of 22 Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 PM

I second raw milk as well as real, whole foods as much as possible. Also, when I feel a cold or any illness coming on I will eat minced raw garlic 3x/day, up my intake of foods rich in Vit. C and do echinacea supplements. If you do end up with the flu I highly recommend Oscillococcinum. 

#7 of 22 Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Sometime ago, a nanny told me she uses oregano extract diluted in water, just a drop or two is more than enough to fend away the common cold.  I also like to drink hot water, lemon and honey when I feel a sore throat coming on, the key is to keep yourself hydrated so it goes away fast.  And I love to make myself chicken noodle soup when it hits, the eating of something opens up our nasal passages and it helps clear it up. 

#8 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM

from an ayurvedic perspective, ojas (vital strength) increasing foods will bolster your immunity ~ coconut, dates, figs, and soaked and peeled almonds are a few examples.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#9 of 22 Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 PM

I have had a lot of luck with Zicam Oral Mint Spray.  I use it at the first sign of a cold with myself and my kids (with a half-dose) and if we catch it right away, we won't even get the cold.  If we started getting sick first, it will fade away within a day or two.  Once in a while it's been a bad cold and didn't make it completely go away, but most of the time it's magic!  It's a homeopathic zinc based remedy.  We also use the homeopathics Pulsatilla and Aconite right away.

#10 of 22 Old 09-27-2011, 06:21 AM

I have a friend who by profession is a licensed clinical nutrionist and by choice a vegetarian. She has a concotion that she swears by to recover fast from colds, flu, and other illnesses. It's crushed frresh garlic, lemon juice, and honey. She told me she doesn't use exact dosages, just a few teaspoons full and gulp it down. I have not tried it yet but I have seen her son recover from being very sick with high fever and vomitting, in 24 to 48 hours. I don't know if this will help boost immunity.

Deepfeet likes this.
#11 of 22 Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 PM

I am an extremely pure person and lactate nothing but wonderfully raw organic breastmilk.  I'll elaborate on what makes me so pure in a moment.  Anyhow, I find my mommy milk to be quite an adequate food for my infant.  A four month old is really too young for supplements.  However, you may be able to give her some vitamin D as some studies suggest that this vitamin does not pass through breastmilk.  While elderberry tincture, echinacea, goldenseal, zinc, thyme, cinnamon and garlic are fine and dandy for us to consume, it can hurt little tummies.  You could take these things yourself, and then breastfeed when you are worried that your baby is coming down with an illness in order to help build her immunity.  You could also do this when you know that she'll be exposed to germs, such as when you take her to the doctor, take her to a crowded mall, airport, etc.

Now, I'm sure you're still wondering about my first statement in which I stated I was pure.  I know a lot of people are curious about this and have a enjoyable time finding out.

First off, I grew up in a household in which my family and extended family ate nothing but pure whole foods that they grew and shared amongst themselves.  Our water was gathered from a creek and we raised our farm animals with respect.  Nobody even heard of chemical pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers!  My parents only *ahem* "knew" each other, so there weren't any oddities being passed onto my siblings or me.  We did not have electricity or running water.  If we wanted to have fun, we played outside.  If we wanted to get clean, we swam in the lake.  We didn't need antibiotics, vaccines, cough syrup, etc.  All we ever needed were fresh herbs, elderberry wine and my grandma's chicken soup!  My clothing was spun from wool that came from sheep and llamas from my cousin's ranch.  Any household cleaners and personal products were prepared with timeless recipes that were handed down from our ancestors.  My parents homeschooled us, and by golly, we received the best education that anyone could get.  I know that some people say that homeschooled children lack social skills, but we all grew up to have the gift of gab and can talk to anyone we meet!

Anyhow, fast forward a few years . . . .  I decided to remain a virgin until my wedding night.  My husband was pure in this way as well.  We did not have any ickiness to be passed onto our children.  I have never eaten anything that wasn't a real food.  In this I mean that my lips have NEVER touched a non-organic fruit or vegetable.  I have never taken a bite of an animal that had been kept in closed filthy conditions.  I have never worn synthetic fabrics.  I have never submerged myself in some toxic substance otherwise known as Proctor & Gamble soap.  Nobody in my family has ever been exposed to toxins found in those cheap plastic toys that are made in China.  No sireee!  Because in this day and age, electricity is a necessity, I power my home with solar energy.  Running water is also required by code in my county, so we have that as well, although it comes from our private well.

Because of this, my mommy eggs are very healthy and fertile.  I know that I'm passing on nothing but the best genetic code to my offspring. 

#12 of 22 Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgRwBrstMlk View Post

I am an extremely pure person and lactate nothing but wonderfully raw organic breastmilk.  I'll elaborate on what makes me so pure in a moment.  Anyhow, I find my mommy milk to be quite an adequate food for my infant.  A four month old is really too young for supplements.  However, you may be able to give her some vitamin D as some studies suggest that this vitamin does not pass through breastmilk.  While elderberry tincture, echinacea, goldenseal, zinc, thyme, cinnamon and garlic are fine and dandy for us to consume, it can hurt little tummies.  You could take these things yourself, and then breastfeed when you are worried that your baby is coming down with an illness in order to help build her immunity.  You could also do this when you know that she'll be exposed to germs, such as when you take her to the doctor, take her to a crowded mall, airport, etc.

Now, I'm sure you're still wondering about my first statement in which I stated I was pure.  I know a lot of people are curious about this and have a enjoyable time finding out.

First off, I grew up in a household in which my family and extended family ate nothing but pure whole foods that they grew and shared amongst themselves.  Our water was gathered from a creek and we raised our farm animals with respect.  Nobody even heard of chemical pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers!  My parents only *ahem* "knew" each other, so there weren't any oddities being passed onto my siblings or me.  We did not have electricity or running water.  If we wanted to have fun, we played outside.  If we wanted to get clean, we swam in the lake.  We didn't need antibiotics, vaccines, cough syrup, etc.  All we ever needed were fresh herbs, elderberry wine and my grandma's chicken soup!  My clothing was spun from wool that came from sheep and llamas from my cousin's ranch.  Any household cleaners and personal products were prepared with timeless recipes that were handed down from our ancestors.  My parents homeschooled us, and by golly, we received the best education that anyone could get.  I know that some people say that homeschooled children lack social skills, but we all grew up to have the gift of gab and can talk to anyone we meet!

Anyhow, fast forward a few years . . . .  I decided to remain a virgin until my wedding night.  My husband was pure in this way as well.  We did not have any ickiness to be passed onto our children.  I have never eaten anything that wasn't a real food.  In this I mean that my lips have NEVER touched a non-organic fruit or vegetable.  I have never taken a bite of an animal that had been kept in closed filthy conditions.  I have never worn synthetic fabrics.  I have never submerged myself in some toxic substance otherwise known as Proctor & Gamble soap.  Nobody in my family has ever been exposed to toxins found in those cheap plastic toys that are made in China.  No sireee!  Because in this day and age, electricity is a necessity, I power my home with solar energy.  Running water is also required by code in my county, so we have that as well, although it comes from our private well.

Because of this, my mommy eggs are very healthy and fertile.  I know that I'm passing on nothing but the best genetic code to my offspring. 

Where did you grow up anyway?

#13 of 22 Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM

Iowa :)

#14 of 22 Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM

we use Eskimo Oil - a fish oil supplement that our family doctor recommended - available in the UK - not sure about the States,  (and she also recommends a healthy organic diet and regular bedtimes.)

www.joyfulparents.co.ukjoy.gifSimple, Fun, Creative ways to put the Joy back into parenting

#15 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM

this is awesome! but... what kind of utopia did you grow up in? sorry for de-railing the convo, but i'd love to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgRwBrstMlk View Post

#16 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinasMommy View Post

this is awesome! but... what kind of utopia did you grow up in? sorry for de-railing the convo, but i'd love to know... 

Lol I agree!  Obviously this is the most ideal way to grow up but so very few of us had the good fortune to have parents who gave us that opportunity....

#17 of 22 Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

Lol I agree!  Obviously this is the most ideal way to grow up but so very few of us had the good fortune to have parents who gave us that opportunity....

That's because we were raised in reality (as was the poster as well, I am quite sure). Iowa, awesome! 

#18 of 22 Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM

:) :) 

Quote:
 That's because we were raised in reality (as was the poster as well, I am quite sure). Iowa, awesome! 

#19 of 22 Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM

When it gets to cold season, I make lots of soups & try to include lots of garlic, shiitake mushrooms, And throw in some astragulus root for immunity boost. Also I take echinacea tincture when I feel something coming on, and also in advance of any time we'll be out & exposed to alot of people, to protect LO through what gets passed to him via my milk. So far so good! I also have elderberry tincture ready to go.

#20 of 22 Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

LOL! Even parents who would love to give their kids this kind of life (such as myself) would be hard pressed to achieve this level of purity... like someone said, we live in "reality" or what passes for it anyway... but more power to you, if you do get to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

#21 of 22 Old 10-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinasMommy View Post

LOL! Even parents who would love to give their kids this kind of life (such as myself) would be hard pressed to achieve this level of purity... like someone said, we live in "reality" or what passes for it anyway... but more power to you, if you do get to! 

thumb.gif

#22 of 22 Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM

I take my prenatal but I eat a lot of greens. To help my immune system I add all kinda of spices to my foods, my main are garlic, ginger and basil. These are known to be antioxidant, antiviral and antimicrobial.  

Wife partners.gif  mama to our son (01/03/2012) babyboy.gif  for bf bfinfant.gif & familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page