How to budget and still eat healthy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lurk.gif This is a great thread!

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Watching and learning. Thanks for all the good ideas! lurk.gif

I just started making my own sweet potato fries - one of the only veggies I can get into my little girl. They are almost as easy as grabbing from the freezer - take the same amount of time. I just peel and cut into julianne pieces. Spread on a cookie sheet (I use parchment paper, but that stuff IS expensive! I need to use it more sparingly) then lightly toss with olive oil and bake. My daughter likes them even more than the frozen kind.

I am going to try and make my own chicken nuggets, but I am not sure if I will save any money there.

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#33 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Depends on what kind of frozen ones you normally get, I suppose.  They are certainly easy!  And home made are so much more tasty, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyalily View Post
 for television

I am going to try and make my own chicken nuggets, but I am not sure if I will save any money there.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#34 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyalily View Post

I bet you could - use dark meat and try to get it on sale. You could also make your own bread crumbs for the coating. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#35 of 40 Old 11-03-2011, 04:49 PM

What she said.

Also, I've dumped odds and ends out of boxes of cereal (unsweetened), crackers, bread bags, rice cakes, etc, added some parmesan cheese, and a dash of Old Bay and whizzed it up in the food processor and used that to coat.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#36 of 40 Old 11-06-2011, 02:55 PM

coatings for meats....veggies.....I use part ww flour/white flour/baking powder......dredge....let rest and then coat again......makes a good batter for meats & veggies.......walked into just the end of a program on LARD.....does anyone have info????....just heard this guy counting off the benefits...???.....peace

#37 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-features/put-lard-back-in-your-larder

and one on making your own..... http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/makeyourownlard

I have started making mine because we raise pigs.  I will be making more in 2 wks because we are butchering our last 2 pigs.  I do not scald and scrape the hide--we just skin and then I take the fat off of where ever I can and use that.  I expect to get at least 2-3 quarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv Vetrono View Post

coatings for meats....veggies.....I use part ww flour/white flour/baking powder......dredge....let rest and then coat again......makes a good batter for meats & veggies.......walked into just the end of a program on LARD.....does anyone have info????....just heard this guy counting off the benefits...???.....peace

#38 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM

thank-you for the info.....I STILL remember frying potatoes in lard, and how good the taste was...as we evolve and grow, so much of the things my grandparents used....both the Sicilians and Cherokees...were not bad for us, as today's manufacturers want us to believe....I wish to have all my ancestors knowledge....peace to all~~~~~~~

#39 of 40 Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv Vetrono View Post

thank-you for the info.....I STILL remember frying potatoes in lard, and how good the taste was...as we evolve and grow, so much of the things my grandparents used....both the Sicilians and Cherokees...were not bad for us, as today's manufacturers want us to believe....I wish to have all my ancestors knowledge....peace to all~~~~~~~

I save the fat from when I fry bacon in a mason jar in the fridge. I use it on my oven roasted potatoes and to do scrambled eggs and omelettes in. So delicious!

Also, just wanted to let everyone know that the November issue of Saveur is featuring some good recipes utilizing onions (a super cheap ingredient!) and soups. If you want to check them out - 

Onion & Bacon Tart

Beer Battered Onion Rings

Parsley & Onion Salad

Roasted Vidalia Onions with Herbed Bread Stuffing

German Barley Soup

Paprika Spice Cauliflower Soup

There are a ton more, but those are the ones that I thought sounded especially good. I've actually never eaten cooked cauliflower and it never really occurred to me to, but that soup sounds really good! And I'm going to try out the tart this weekend I think, to see if it's worthy of the Thanksgiving table. :-) But what I really love is that humble (cheap!) ingredients can made into such amazing sounding recipes. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#40 of 40 Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM

I know this thread is a few months old but Trader Joes is WAY cheaper than my big grocers and even my Walmart for about 80% of the things we buy. That being said we do shop mutliple places within reason to save a few bucks on certain items.

We are dairy, egg, tomato, strawberry, sesame, and grape free for DDs allergies. Pasts is cheap but not very healthy when you can't even use tomato sauce! I bake any and all processed things myself. We do get meat cheap from our local co-op.

I never find useful coupons b/c all the coupons I find are for processed food...We only drink water unless we juice it ourselves.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page