Dr. Oz Show 9/14/11 - Arsenic in Apple Juice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did anyone else see the Dr. Oz Show today? I'm really worked up over his findings that the apple juice sold in America contains unacceptably high levels of arsenic. He explained that a lot of our apple juice is packaged in the USA but the concentrates used for those products are often coming from places like China and Argentina. A combination of higher levels of arsenic in their water supplies and arsenic in pesticides used on the apples before pressing is resulting in high levels of arsenic being present in apple juice here in the USA. He stated that the EPA has set a maximum limit for arsenic in our drinking water at 10 parts per billion; it is regulated. But when he had dozens of apple juices tested by an independent lab, they found that several of the juices contained well over 10 parts per billion and in fact Gerber apple juice was tested with as much as 36. Juicy Juice was another one that had higher than acceptable levels. There were more. We're talking big name brands that are fed to our children in high quantities because they're promoted as healthy!

Dr. Oz expressed that this shouldn't be too alarming to people drinking an occasional apple juice here and there. Adults don't *typically* drink tons of it every day. But it should be very alarming to parents of children who are likely drinking it regularly. I know that my 4-year-old nephew drinks a ton of it. His mother, my sister, has a few jugs of it in the fridge at any given time. The quantities that children drink it is why the arsenic levels should be regulated. Apparently back in 2008, pear juice was already found to have unacceptable levels of arsenic and the FDA issued a "level of concern." I'm not sure if they actually acted beyond that and regulated it, but this is just unacceptable in general...

I am agreeing with Dr. Oz when he says we should use organic apple juice products (which he tested and showed arsenic levels less than 10 parts per billion - OK) or else stop purchasing regular apple juice at the grocery store until this has been properly addressed. We have enough toxins around us, and to think that parents don't even know that they're potentially giving arsenic to their children in this manner is very upsetting. greensad.gif

I am going to be a first-time mother soon and I'm angry that it seems like there's always something new and dangerous that we're finding out we're being exposed to... Sure, some people might laugh and not care about things like this. But for someone like me who has food intolerances and a high sensitivity to chemicals and other health concerns, it's a scary world to live in. And arsenic isn't just something that a highly sensitive individual would be affected by. It affects everyone.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/arsenic-apple-juice

Thoughts?

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am glad you shared, thanks!  I buy everything organic, and we pretty much stick to whole foods so we dont buy processed store bought juices.  The apple juice that you buy in the store has been pasturized(exposed to heat that kills most vitamins and minerals and anything else beneficial in it), filtered, etc, leaving only the taste of apple, a little color, and the SUGAR.  The only juice I will drink or let my kids drink is juice that I make myself, that is not lacking every beneficial aspect of a real piece of fruit.

You might find my posts on this thread informative, I highly recommend watching the videos and looking at the links http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1321919/reasons-to-go-organic-and-tips-to-make-it-affordable 

Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 AM

It troubles me that the majority of the concentrates used for making apple juice come from China. There are entire regions there without any honey bees because of the high pesticide use. Apples must be pollinated by hand, one by one. I don't normally buy any juice aside from orange juice, but when we do it is usually organic. While I feel that the show can be a little alarmist, it does point out how unaware we are of our food sources or the safety of our food chain.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Arsenic is in apples. We have to watch our dog when we take him to DH's families place. He will eat all the apples on the ground snorting like a hog. The levels are high, however you can combat that by not drinking any but organic. Even then you'll find it. Quite a few things have stuff in them that in large quantities is not good. Rhubarb leaves were eaten by the confederates when they didn't have anything else and was considered acceptable until people started dying. Rhubarb leaves are edible but in small quantities.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM

There are actually two forms of arsenic. Organic arsenic and inorganic arsenic. Organic arsenic exists in soil, and in most foods. It is really high in seafood. This kind of arsenic is non toxic to humans as we can not metabolize it and we pee it out. Inorganic arsenic is toxic becuase it invades our cells and rapidly causes cell death. 

I find it hard to believe that the apple juice has inorganic arsenic, and I feel like Dr Oz is trying to create panic over a substance that is inert. Prop 65, the California law requiring labeling of unsafe levels of chemicals in food, does not have any limit for organic arsenic. Prop 65 is the highest standard we have in this country, they have to label very minute amounts of things like lead. If organic arsenic was a problem, I feel like Prop 65 would say so.

http://unreasonablefaith.com/2011/09...d-apple-juice/

Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

it's ALSO the high levels of fluoride that I object to in the juice-YUCK! uhoh3.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by askew View Post

There are actually two forms of arsenic. Organic arsenic and inorganic arsenic. Organic arsenic exists in soil, and in most foods. It is really high in seafood. This kind of arsenic is non toxic to humans as we can not metabolize it and we pee it out. Inorganic arsenic is toxic becuase it invades our cells and rapidly causes cell death. 

While reading about arsenic being added to chicken and turkey feed in order to keep pests to a minimum, I read that in the body organic arsenic gets converted to inorganic arsenic, and therefore both are toxic, although it takes awhile for the body to convert it so you are likely not going to die from the organic because not all of it has a chance to be converted....   Dont know where I was reading it, but I saw this info on several sites when I did a Google search awhile back, and I dont just go to any site and read and believe anything it says so it must have been a fairly reliable source.

User Tag List