ground beef recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-14-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anyone have any recipes they like for ground beef?

Anyone ever make soup with ground beef?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've made pasta fagioli (or something like that...lol) with ground beef.

Taco pie is a fav here

nachos

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM

meatloaf

enchiladas

pasta sauce (and stuffed shells, lasagna, regular pasta with the sauce, etc.)

burgers

quiche (like a cheeseburger quiche)

pizza

tacos

sloppy joes

beefaroni (goulash?) -- i am craving this with pregnancy, it's just mac n cheese (i use the organic but store-bought boxed kind, ground beef, and tomatoes of whatever kind you have on hand & like (but i think the stewed ones are best-- i like the chunks)

my grandma used to make a soup with ground beef, i swear i remember this, but my dh is SO SURE that you can't do that.  i mean to try to prove him wrong sometime, though.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Quote:
my grandma used to make a soup with ground beef, i swear i remember this, but my dh is SO SURE that you can't do that.

Italian wedding soup (meatballs)- just as one example

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 22 Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM

I mix taco seasoning into ground beef with a diced onion and serve it over lettuce for taco salad in the summer. And in a baked acorn squash in the fall or winter.

You can also google recipes for Shepard or Cottage pie which is ground beef mixed with diced carrots, onions and peas then topped with mashed potatoes and baked.

Some people use ground beef instead of stew meat or steak for stroganoff.

Ground beef is also in Mousaka along with eggplant, mushrooms and a creamy bechemel sauce.

#6 of 22 Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i've made beef barley soup with ground beef.

#7 of 22 Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM

I love a Skillet Greek Lasagna from Cook's Illustrated... though this recipe looks very similar:

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1657138-Greek-Skillet-Lasagna

Just substitute the ground beef for the lamb.  And we use penne instead of the broken up curly edged lasagna pasta they recommend (it's what's in the pantry).

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#8 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Lots of good ones above! The mention of sloppy joes is making me crave some! I like to make salisbury steak. Sometimes I form the ground beef into patties (or use leftover burgers) and sometimes I leave the ground meat loose. I serve it with either egg noodles or mashed potatoes. The version I do most often and that's great this time of year is pumpkin ale and onion salisbury steak

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#9 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 PM

tacos!

sloppy joes ( we do BBQ sauce) on whole wheat buns 

mini meatloaves (in muffin tins)

cabbage rolls, or asian-seasoned beef in lettuce cups

quesadillas (beef +cheese melted between two tortillas, or one folded in half) with sour cream, etc.,

SOS (my mom made this when we were dead broke as kids)- ground beef + cream of mushroom soup over toast. Not healthy but cheap as can be

meatballs with spaghetti

mac and cheese,homemade or store-bought, with hamburger meat (better than hamburger helper at least)

Super-cheap hamburger casserole (another childhood between-paychecks meal)- rice, rotel or canned/stewed tomatoes, hamburger meat, bake and top with cheese

hamburgers of course

#10 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 04:54 AM

How could you forget chili??!?!?!? eat.gif

It's also good in other stews, bean soups (like the pasta fagioli or this friendship soup).

I also make it "latin-style": cook it up with some onion, garlic, shredded carrots and diced tomatoes (to stretch it and make it healthier), cumin, curry, and ground oregano and serve it with rice and beans. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#11 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM

This is similiar to a "country cabbage" recipe I have tried recently and liked (from an obscure "wheat-free" cookbook i have) http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Country-Cabbage-Soup. The cabbage flavor is not strong, and it's very good, warming comfort food. It's so economical too!

This is a ground turkey recipe, but I think you could substitute. I have made it several times now--it's such a great sloppy joe-type recipe with no sugar! http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3052

#12 of 22 Old 11-01-2011, 12:04 PM

This chickpeas, ground beef, and cilantro skillet recipe is one of our favorites (though I make it with ground turkey). It's super easy and fast to make:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2008/03/spicy-sauteed-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans.html

Joe's Special is another skillet meal with ground beef, eggs, and spinach. Another very fast one!

http://www.google.com/search?q=joe%27s+special

I used to mix ground turkey with a bunch of Mediterranean spices (look up kafta recipes for the spices), form it into logs, and saute in a pan. Then you put a couple in a pita with tzatziki sauce, hummus, and lettuce and eat as a sandwich. I don't make this often anymore simply because I currently only cook things that are *extremely* fast to make.

I've made soup with ground turkey plenty of times!

#13 of 22 Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Cabbage and ground beef filled pastries (also known as bierrocks)

saute 1 pound of ground beef, 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped, diced onion, season to taste (salt and pepper, caraway seeds, etc.) in skillet.  Use bread/roll dough of your choice.  Make bread dough according to recipe through first rising.  Punch down dough and roll out into 8" rounds and fill with cabbage mixture.  Fold the dough in half and pinch edges together.  Brush with egg wash.  Let rise for 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Makes anywhere from 8-16 pastries, depending on the amount of bread dough and how big you make them.  Good warm or cold.  Good for packed lunches for school, work, or outings.

Allrecipes.com has a number of bierrocks recipes.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/bierocks-german-meat-turnovers/detail.aspx

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#14 of 22 Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

Cabbage and ground beef filled pastries (also known as bierrocks)

saute 1 pound of ground beef, 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped, diced onion, season to taste (salt and pepper, caraway seeds, etc.) in skillet.  Use bread/roll dough of your choice.  Make bread dough according to recipe through first rising.  Punch down dough and roll out into 8" rounds and fill with cabbage mixture.  Fold the dough in half and pinch edges together.  Brush with egg wash.  Let rise for 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Makes anywhere from 8-16 pastries, depending on the amount of bread dough and how big you make them.  Good warm or cold.  Good for packed lunches for school, work, or outings.

Allrecipes.com has a number of bierrocks recipes.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/bierocks-german-meat-turnovers/detail.aspx

This sounds good and really affordable. Going to have to give this a try.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#15 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM

You're welcome.  I use a roll recipe for the dough instead of a bread recipe.  And I do make them with different fillings.  If I make a pizza type filling, I use pizza dough for the crust.  Think of them as healthier (and cheaper) than store bought hot pockets.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#16 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM

i love cabbage/ground beef soup.  it's one of my winter staples.  :)

heartbeat.gif

#17 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Recipes I make with ground beef are:

Tacos: spices are onion, garlic, oregano, cumin

Sheppard’s pie, actually I make a Lebanese version so it is the same as regular, but spices in the meat are cinnamon, coriander, allspice, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, paprika and black pepper, and of course onion and garlic.

DH and I are eating low glycemic so when I make I Sheppard’s pie, I use the same type of meat mixture over eggplants and tomatoes baked in the oven

Lebanese Style Green bean stew with the same spiced meat as above with green beans and tomatoes.

Vegetable Meat stew inspired from my time living in the Arabian Gulf: Meat spiced with cinnamon, coriander, allspice, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, paprika and black pepper AND curry. The vegetables are cauliflower, potatoes, green beans, peas and carrots

Pasta Sauce

Chilli

I have never made a soup with ground beef

#18 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

You're welcome.  I use a roll recipe for the dough instead of a bread recipe.  And I do make them with different fillings.  If I make a pizza type filling, I use pizza dough for the crust.  Think of them as healthier (and cheaper) than store bought hot pockets.

I think I came across a great dough to use to make these. I'm making bacon pain d'epi and the dough is gorgeous. The best bread dough I've worked with this far. And the pizza filling idea is a good one too! Or maybe ham and spinach in a bechamel sauce... 

#19 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

my grandma used to make a soup with ground beef, i swear i remember this, but my dh is SO SURE that you can't do that.  i mean to try to prove him wrong sometime, though.

I make vegetable beef soup all the time with ground beef.  I brown a pound of hamburger, add onions, celery, carrots, broth, and anything else I have on hand.  Season it with salt, pepper, garlic, etc., and it's good to go.  Fast, easy, and filling.

#20 of 22 Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM

I have a child who is supposed to avoid eating tomatoes....so i have tried making homemade pizza with ground beef /broccoli / cheddar cheese  as a topping....instead of sauce and pepperoni

i also started making meatballs with half ground beef and half black beans - my 14 month old is loving those! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#21 of 22 Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Pesto sauce makes a good substitute for tomato sauce on pizza.  I also make what I call a Greek pizza--I spread the marinade from marinaded artichoke hearts on baked pizza bread, sprinkle Italian herbs over that and top with the chopped up artichoke hearts, red onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and feta cheese crumbles.  Bake for 10 minutes.

#22 of 22 Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't think I've seen stuffed peppers suggested. I made some for dinner last night. 

Stuffed red peppers

6 large red bell peppers

1 lb ground beef (I use extra lean)

1 onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup parsley, chopped

1 tbsp. paprika (I used 1 tsp. smoked paprika and 2 tsp. sweet)

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 cup fine bread crumbs

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup + 1/2 cup or more tomato sauce

Remove about 1/2 inch of the tops from peppers and set peppers aside. Dice the tops (minus the stems). 

Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Remove and drain. 

In the same skillet, saute the onion, garlic, diced pepper tops, and parsley until soft, about 5 minutes. Add spices and stir for 1 minute. 

Return meat to the pan, mix well. Mix in the bread crumbs and then the egg. 

Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce. 

In a 13x9 in. baking dish, spread the remaining tomato sauce. Fill each red pepper with the meat mixture. Bake at 350 F for about 30 to 40 minutes, until the peppers soften. 

I think most recipes suggest filling the peppers with an uncooked ground beef mixture and baking longer - an hour or more. I prefer to brown the meat first, but you may prefer to skip this step. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page