Gluten, Dairy, and Cane Sugar Cookie Decorating - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We do Halloween at the local library. About the only junk food they have is sugar cookie decorating. That's fine for my son, but not my daughter. What can I take so she can decorate her own cookie? I have a recipe for coconut flour sugar cookies that I make with coconut sugar so that's okay. It's the decorating part I'm not certain of.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 6 Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

color raw coconut

use nuts

cereal?

do you chocolate? dark nibs are good

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 10-16-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

But how do I stick all this stuff to the baked cookies? I need to take it with us to the library so she can decorate at the same time as the other kids.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 6 Old 10-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

how about cream cheese? peanut butter or other nut type butter? melted dark chocolate?

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm...almond butter might work. Though I wonder how it would taste. I was thinking something more colorful like the icing everyone else will use. We can't use cream cheese because she can't do dairy and we can't do the tofutti cream cheese because it has sugar in it. Otherwise that would be a great option. It can even be colored.

I wonder if I could thicken and sweeten coconut milk to make a frosting. Interesting thought. Anyone done that?

#6 of 6 Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a recipe for a coconut frosting you can pipe. Except it uses powedered sugar, which we can't use (assuming it's cane sugar.) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vanilla-Bean-Coconut-Cupcakes-with-Coconut-Frosting-352095

And here's a way to make an alternative to powdered sugar. I could try doing this with coconut palm sugar. 

This could maybe work. Though it's a bit of work to do it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page