healthy casseroles - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any healthy casserole recipes?  All of mine have cream of whatever soups, cream or a ton of butter.  DH needs to start watching his cholesterol and I need to come up with some lighter, more veggie filled recipes.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 10 Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 PM

You could make this vegan macaroni and cheese http://vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10 Maybe even eliminate some earth balance. Then add in veggies. I like carmelized onion, tomatoes, mushrooms, maybe broccoli. Maybe some cauliflower that was cooked to beyond soft then blended.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 10 Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 PM

We don't really eat casseroles much. However, my kids do like this one from http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Vegetarian-Kitchen-Nutritious-Wheat-Free/dp/1557885109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319000546&sr=8-1

Cellophane Noodle Casserole with Mushrooms, Ginger, and Peanuts

vegan

MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS

Cellophane noodles or bean thread noodles, are a popular Chinese pasta made from gluten-free mung bean starch. When cooked, they become clear and slippery and easily absorb the flavors of this delicious casserole.

3 (3.75-ounce) packages bean thread noodles

1 tablespoon peanut oil or light sesame oil

1 bunch scallions (white and green parts divided), thinly sliced

I pound cultivated white mushrooms, quartered (I used 8 ounces.)

I tablespoon chopped fresh ginger

4 large cloves garlic finely chopped

1 ounce dried shiitake or oyster mushrooms soaked in warm water to cover for 15 minutes drained, rinsed and chopped (I used 1 package fresh shitakes from Trader Joe’s.)

Broccoli, edame, or whatever veggies you like (I added these.)

4 cups gluten-free low-sodium vegetable broth

¼ cup low-sodium tamari sauce

2 tablespoons toasted (dark) sesame oil

1 tablespoon Chinese chili paste, or to taste (optional)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

½ cup unsalted chopped peanuts (We used cashews.)

Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch casserole and set aside.

In a medium stockpot, soak the noodles in boiling water to cover until soft and transparent, about 10 minutes. Drain well and rinse briefly under cold running water, discarding any white bits. Return the noodles to the stockpot, pulling them into long bunches and tearing into 6-inch clumps with your fingers as you go.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the peanut oil over medium heat. Add the white parts of the scallions and cook stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white mushrooms, ginger, and garlic; cook stirring often, until the mushrooms begin to release their liquids, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and the green parts of the scallions; cook stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the broth, tamari sauce, sesame oil, chili paste (if using), salt, and pepper, stirring well to combine. Add to the stockpot with the cellophane noodles and toss well to thoroughly combine. Transfer to prepared casserole and bake for 20 minutes. Serve at once, in deepsided

plates or soup bowls, garnished with the peanuts.

PER SERVING

Calories 401 | Protein 2og I Total Fat 14g,

Sat. Fat 2g,  Cholesterol 0 mg,  Carbohydrate 53g

Dietary Fiber 8g, sodium 1,731mg

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I don't do a ton of casseroles, but two old standbys can be quite healthy - tuna noodle casserole and scalloped potatoes with ham. I use soymilk and chicken stock for the liquid in them instead of whole milk/cream (we're a lactose intolerant household) and I usually add sun dried tomatoes and scallions to both to add some more veg. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 10 Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I have heard that the whole high cholesterol thing does not actually matter and that high cholesterol pretty much means nothing because it does not actually cause heart disease?  I would however watch trans fats, which are partially hydrogenated oils, found in processed foods like donuts, muffins(store bought), all those fruit pie and cream filled cookie things at the store, etc.  Trans fats are horrible for you, and they do raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, if there is anything to it.  Also drinking raw milk instead of pasturized/homogenized milk is supposed to be better. 

#6 of 10 Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love4ever View Post

I have heard that the whole high cholesterol thing does not actually matter and that high cholesterol pretty much means nothing because it does not actually cause heart disease?  I would however watch trans fats, which are partially hydrogenated oils, found in processed foods like donuts, muffins(store bought), all those fruit pie and cream filled cookie things at the store, etc.  Trans fats are horrible for you, and they do raise bad cholesterol and lower good cholesterol, if there is anything to it.  Also drinking raw milk instead of pasturized/homogenized milk is supposed to be better. 

Where did you hear this? I dont think its true. Almost everyone I know who has suffered from heart attacks has high cholesterol.

Subbing, because I too would like healthy casserole recipes. All mine include Velveeta or cream of mushroom bag.gif

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 10 Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Where did you hear this? I dont think its true. Almost everyone I know who has suffered from heart attacks has high cholesterol.
Subbing, because I too would like healthy casserole recipes. All mine include Velveeta or cream of mushroom bag.gif

DH's doctor told him to stay away from saturated fat.  And I love Velveeta, even though it's not even real cheese.

obstruct livery vehicles

#8 of 10 Old 10-25-2011, 09:53 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

A few articles worth reading after a quick search.  I've read this elsewhere too, but here are a few.  You might have to enter your email to read them but its fine

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/10/making-sense-of-your-cholesterol-numbers.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/05/Does-High-Cholesterol-REALLY-Cause-Heart-Disease.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/05/28/cholesterol-heart.aspx

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/20/the-truth-about-statin-drugs-revealed.aspx

It looks like cholesterol levels matter a little, read what it says about that under the heading "Ninety-Nine Out of 100 People do Not Need Statin Drugs" in that last article.  Hope this helps!  As far as the OP goes, I am a believer in eating whole foods so we dont do the cream of whatever soups, velveeta cheese, etc.  We eat organic raw milk cheese tho.  And I like to make casseroles out of butter, milk, veggies, rice, cheese, spices, eggs, meat, whole grain noodles, etc, although I dont really have a recipe, oftentimes I just throw stuff together and it usually turns out lol.  I do think that it is best to eat food raw, but we dont do that for every meal, I think its a bit boring:)

#9 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM

You can make your own cream soup with skim milk, organic chicken base, and flour or corn starch.  Sub broth or skim milk for cream, olive oil for butter.... and use your old recipes.

#10 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 AM

That's what I do.  I usually substitute home made gravy and white sauce for the cream of soups.  It works out great.  And if you like casseroles, look in old cook books (prior to the 1950s).  One pot meals and casseroles are old and a great way to use up left overs.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page