A good soure of iron and are supplements ok for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello to the mothers here, Im new here, I think this is a very awesome place for everything related to mothering but also very natural oriented and its definetly  what i need and care for, very happy to have suscribed.

I was just wondering if  raw beet juice is not harsh for baby or i should wait on that, for my 9 mos. daughter, to me it seems fine and healthy.  Of course i wont give her more than an ounce even.

I thought it would be a good way to make her have beets since theyre a good source of iron but she doesnt do to good on solids yet, shell have very little, but she did acept the beet juice. 

and im not so sure about supplementing with iron (ferinsol) as my ped adviced and also polivisol.

So, ive been really doubtfull on these supplements, he didnt even know to answer me if the vitamins were natural.

Anyway i apreciate any advice.

peace.gif peacefull mother  lol  ...  I try. 

loving nature mommatreehugger.gif of mi little flower.gifblossom, born december 2010.

thumb.gif to selectivevax.gifornovaxnoIRC.gif ,    lactivist.gif familybed1.gif

namaste.gif

#2 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Why are you worried about iron? Did your baby have a low level or is your pediatrician just pushing supplements?

In general I avoid juice with my kids (though a little bit is okay.) Kids can fill up on juice and not eat the nourishing foods they need. Have you offered your little one a good sized chunk of a roasted beet? Cut into a shape that's easy for her to hold and gnaw?

If you're not using baby led solids, here's some info: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm

They even have info on beets and beet recipes: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/beetsbabyfoodrecipes.htm

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I would give a 9 month old raw beet juice that I made myself from organic beets.  Did your doc actually recommend polyvisol like the stuff made by Enfamil?  Nasty stuff, all synthetic.  I gave the ACD drops to DD for a few months when my ped recommended it but then I realized what nasty stuff it was, and that my baby did not need it as it was the middle of summer and we went outside without sunscreen so she was getting her vitamin D, and since breastmilk is perfect for babys she did not need the A and C either!  So irritating.  Anyway, during the winter I give DD D drops only that are just D3 and olive oil, thats it!  The brand is NSI

Another good source of iron is organic spinach!  You could make a beet and spinach juice.  My DD didnt like solids for awhile either, some days even at 9 months she would only drink breast milk and just a tiny bit of food.  I would try to include some pulp in the juice that you make tho if possible.

There is something called Floradix that is a iron supp but it has other vitamins and herbs as well.  I would not give it unless you get your DD tested and find out for sure that she is low, and you try giving other things such as the juice and it does not help. 

#4 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Thanks for your tips, ill have to try the roast beef one day.

And i was wondering why do you do a gluten, dairy, tomato etc. free? and do you always do it with kids to? i hope im not to nosy :)

And thank u so much  1 love, thats all i needed to know about it beeing synthetic, now i like them less.

and ill try those spinach and beet mixes, but i hate that i cant really find to much organic produce cause i live in Mexico, Im going to start planting my own stuff.  

and ive never understood what does dd d and hd  stand for? lol

loving nature mommatreehugger.gif of mi little flower.gifblossom, born december 2010.

namaste.gif

#5 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 03:41 PM

O sorry, DD means dear daughter.  Basically daughter.  DH is dear husband.  DS is dear son.  With the one D that I mentioned above, I was referring to vitamin D drops, which use vitamin D3.

Planting your own stuff would be awesome, good idea!  I've never really heard much about tomato free diets.  DD loves tomatoes, we have no prob with them.  Quite a few people are allergic to gluten, dairy, etc, so thats why many avoid it.  I have no problem with whole grain gluten products(like whole grain noodles), but when you get refined, processed stuff like donuts, cereal, cookies, etc they are made with white flour(not whole grain) and sugar, both of which are not good for you and they have no nutritional value.

And, we do not drink store bought juice because it is pasturized and usually filtered so all that is left is the sugar and flavor, no nutritional value, completely destroyed.

jadebutterfly likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebutterfly View Post

And i was wondering why do you do a gluten, dairy, tomato etc. free? and do you always do it with kids to? i hope im not to nosy :)

We experimented with gluten free to see if it would help her speech delay. Three weeks later her speech was markedly improved. Don't know if it was related or coincidence, but we figured we'd just stay that way.

The others give her diarrhea. From 6 months to her 3rd birthday she had diarrhea 4 times a day. We did blood tests and took her off all sensitive foods. After 6 weeks still diarrhea. Then we stopped dairy. Three days later she was having solid poops. We were able to reintroduce some sensitive foods. Cane sugar and tomatoes give her diarrhea. Gluten could cause her diarrhea but we don't know and we're not interested in giving her gluten to see. The diet is great. As long as we avoid processed gluten free foods it is forcing us to eat even healthier than we were. Eating out is hard, though. And right now we are on a car trip to San Diego. Had to make and freeze ahead all our food since we can't risk eating in a restaurant.

Probably more info than you were seeking. Regarding Floridax. I called the company awhile back and for some reason they said not to give it to kids (don't remember age range, though mine would have been around a year when I called.) Can't remember why, but there was a good reason.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Liver would be great for iron too!

#8 of 14 Old 10-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightgoddess View Post

Liver would be great for iron too!

if it was organic and grass fed then absolutely, but I wouldnt touch one that came near a feed lot with a 10 foot pole :)

#9 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM

Dr Ron's  you can buy online, freeze dried powder capsules. http://www.drrons.com/  I just stirred it in savory foods/meals for the babe.

#10 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't give an iron supplement straight to a baby unless the child's iron levels were persistently low and an iron-rich diet pairing iron foods like spinach, beets, and beans with vitamin C foods to aid absorption was not helping. Though my toddler has never been anemic, her iron levels did need boosting at 12-13 months, so in addition to providing iron-rich table foods I began, on the pediatrician's recommendation, to take an iron supplement (Ortho Molecular's Reacted Iron) that is thought to increase iron levels in breastmilk more than many other supplements do. Since I began taking the iron, my daughter's iron levels are up and I am feeling better too.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#11 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightgoddess View Post

Dr Ron's  you can buy online, freeze dried powder capsules. http://www.drrons.com/  I just stirred it in savory foods/meals for the babe.

cool, so is this liver powder? does it say its organic ? might be good to try 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner04 View Post

I wouldn't give an iron supplement straight to a baby unless the child's iron levels were persistently low and an iron-rich diet pairing iron foods like spinach, beets, and beans with vitamin C foods to aid absorption was not helping. Though my toddler has never been anemic, her iron levels did need boosting at 12-13 months, so in addition to providing iron-rich table foods I began, on the pediatrician's recommendation, to take an iron supplement (Ortho Molecular's Reacted Iron) that is thought to increase iron levels in breastmilk more than many other supplements do. Since I began taking the iron, my daughter's iron levels are up and I am feeling better too.

I know i feel bad to give her those ferinsol, shes only had small doses like 6 times, and it tastes terrible.  I know its not so good but i gave it to her cause she wouldnt eat much iron food, now shes getting better.

I think im just gonna go get a blood test to check out her hg,   How low was your baby , when he needed boosting ? and how low is low without anemia? cause they do exagerate sometimes.

Oh and that orthomolecular option sound real good,  I wonder if it works, my ped told me iron supplements for  me didnt give it do dd, but this om iron might work

Thanx ladies

namaste.gif

#12 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

ok why arent my answers on the thread, ill quote and ask and reply stuff,     and they will tell me this has to be supervised by a moderator because im new here ????

How long till they appear or till i have to be checked ??

namaste.gif

#13 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebutterfly View Post

ok why arent my answers on the thread, ill quote and ask and reply stuff,     and they will tell me this has to be supervised by a moderator because im new here ????

How long till they appear or till i have to be checked ??

Hmmm, I thought they only did that for your first post?  This one showed up tho.  I would email mothering.com and ask about it.  What was it that you had a comment on or wanted to reply too?  Maybe you could PM the person who said it?

#14 of 14 Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 PM

I give my daughter spirullina mixed in with a mashed up banana...she loves it, and it is a great source of iron (not to mention a whole bunch of other minerals and vitamins!!) .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page