Is it a battle to feed your child healthy food in a junk food culture? (bit of a rant, sorry) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She said corn syrup was natural!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#32 of 35 Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 AM

Awww, it's so disheartening isn't it how many people just "accept" and choose to ignore the evidence that food is medicine/poison?

Sorry Rosebud. This is so tough.

My in-laws and my own mums favorite saying is "you had juice all the time and you are fine" HA. RIGHT.

Anyways, hugs. Sorry you are dealing with this!

#33 of 35 Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovemama View Post

"you had juice all the time and you are fine" HA. RIGHT.

I get this all the time about EVERYTHING.  Candy, vaccines, etc.  Ugh

#34 of 35 Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovemama View Post

"you had juice all the time and you are fine" HA. RIGHT.

I get this all the time about EVERYTHING.  Candy, vaccines, etc.  Ugh

you need to learn some come~back lines -

"we use to have lead in gasoline/paint and they found that to be dangerous"

"we now know asbestos is harmful to you-haven't you learned anything in all these years? I have"

"some people live and learn and other choose to remain ignorant"

etc

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#35 of 35 Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM

We haven't had any issues, but I think part of this is we've maintained fairly controlled environments for DD since birth.  We're vegetarians (mostly vegans), so DD's exposure to outside food sources is limited by virtue that we don't go to chain restaurants, fast food places or do much shopping in a regular grocery store.  DD was in a no-share/bring-your-own-lunch/snacks school for three years, and now she goes to a school that requires all students to eat from the school menu (which is largely an Italian/Greek menu because of the neighborhood and the vendor who provides the food) (no tator tots!).  In her former school, a lot of the parents were super crunchy, so DD didn't see a lot of Cheetos, etc.

I know this will sound weird, but we got DD a puppet when she was very small which has become DD's "sister" by default.  The puppet is this character who doesn't take very good care of herself.  She eats junk and doesn't exercise and watches too much television.  DD has learned a lot about healthy eating/living through the use of this puppet.  DD likes to tell relatives and friends that "Abby" looks terrible because she eats junk (in reality, Abby hasn't been washed in a few years but I'm not telling).  The use of Abby has been a great way to put "junk" into context. 

Another thing which I don't regret is that we do allow DD to have sweets and the occassional junk item at a party or the like.  When I was growing up (and my own parents were sort of health food nuts and thus we don't have any issues with them), we were permitted to have candy after lunch and dessert after dinner.  I think that in learning that certain things have a time and place allowed us to develop overall healthy eating habits. 

I would say that my biggest problem thus far has not been in connection with DD's eating habits, but those of her neighbor friends.  Whenever they are over to visit, they can't comprehend that we don't have juice.  "Why don't you have any juice????"  I tell them that we have good clean water, but they always decline.  :(

That all being said, and to keep me humble, I do like Cheetos and will buy them for myself on occassion.  There's something about that color.  It's wrong, but satisfying.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page