Low blood sugar in the AM - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 25 mos, and he goes to bed about 8 with a bottle.  He takes another bottle around 4 (which is as far as night-weaning has gotten).  He usually gets up between 6:30 and 7.  First thing in the morning, within minutes of getting up, he's a screaming mess from low blood sugar.  To where I've resorted to immediately giving him a bowl of cut up fruit to eat, since he can't last long enough for me to make breakfast.  Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions for something that I can feed him either at bedtime, or at 4 am (to replace the bottle) that isn't too messy, that will help keep his BS stable so he isn't a screaming mess every morning?  I can't deal with the daily scream-fests anymore. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 3 Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM

I don't have any brilliant, mess free suggestions that would be better than a bottle of milk but these are my suggestions anyhow.

How about oatmeal porridge for the night? It takes longer time than the milk to digest and therefore should hold him over better throughout the night so he is not starving come morning.Serve with a bit of fat milk and non sweetened apple sauce, and just a tiny bit of sprinkled cinnamon if you son wants some taste to it.

For adults, I would recommend some nuts before going to bed. Like a handful of almonds or walnuts. Since the fats and proteins in nuts really do make you feel full longer without giving that much energy, but for a little one...perhaps some peanut butter and veggies or bananas? Though...messy to be sure.

As for breakfast, how about cold, unsweetened rice porridge served with the fruit? It is easy to cook up a batch to last you at least three days or so and a good foundation to start the day on. Perhaps not the very healthiest and certainly not mess free, but it does have the advantage of being fulfilling and gentle at the same time. The blood sugar will start to rise, but not fuelled by just the sugar in the fruit but by the slightly slower digesting rice porridge too.

This means you will have time to prepare a proper breakfast (or brunch/early lunch), with plenty of proteins, fats and slow digesting carbs for a bit later to help your son get a truly good, stable start to his day.

#3 of 3 Old 11-03-2011, 06:29 PM

We had to feed my DS in the middle of the night at that age.  He was simply hungry, and I had night weaned him to get pregnant again, and he had a dairy allergy, so he was on rice milk which is not very filling.

We co-slept, and DH would feed him either banana or oatmeal in the middle of the night.  He was still pretty hungry when he woke up though.  It sucked, but it was what he needed.  He's 8 now and sleeps well, though still wants to eat pretty much the minute he wakes up.

Can you give him some dry cereal, yogurt, hard boiled egg or something else quick while you are preparing the rest of breakfast?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page