Make-ahead Honey Baked Lentils? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm bringing over dinner for a friend who just had a baby - several of us are making meals that can be frozen and I'm delivering them all early next week.  I was thinking of doing Honey Baked Lentils with rice and diced carrots baked right in, and then salad on the side so it's a complete meal.  Should I bake at home and freeze?  Just refrigerate, since they'll eat it within a few days?  Or, put all the dry ingredients in a covered casserole (including rice and diced carrots, so they'll need to refrigerate because of the carrots) and say "add 2 cups of water and bake".  Thanks in advance for any replies!

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#2 of 6 Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you're going to freeze it, make a batch now, freeze it, and try before delivering. Otherwise I'd give all dry ingredients in a container, carrots in another container, have her refrigerate carrots, and give her directions for making it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 6 Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM

BTW, can I get your recipe?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 6 Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 AM

YES I want the recipe too! YUM 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#5 of 6 Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

The link where I originally got the recipe isn't working anymore, but here it is...

Honey Baked Lentils

1 cup dry lentils
2 cups water
2 Tbsp. honey (you can substitute maple syrup for strict vegans)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. dried minced onion (You can use fresh onion, but it all floats to the top and gets a soggy consistency.  I use 2 tsp onion powder)
½ tsp. ginger
1 clove garlic, crushed, or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

1/3 cup rice, (optional, for a more casserole-like consistency… I’ve found brown rice doesn’t work well so I stick to white)

Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish.  You can let it soak for a while before baking, if convenient—this makes the lentils and rice softer and may improve digestibility.  Bake, covered, at 350F until tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.  When it’s too hot to use the oven, I’ve also had success making this in the rice cooker.  The only modification is that I add an extra 2/3 cup water for the rice.

When I want to add carrots, I just chop up a bunch and add them in with everything else. 

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#6 of 6 Old 11-01-2011, 12:59 AM

Thanks. It's on my menu for the week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page