Dairy free without soy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What a bummer!  We eat a ton of avocado and guacamole.  I'm actually surprised that we haven't started having a problem with it.

During our last visit to our Natural Doc, we discovered that my 9yo dd is struggling with citric acid.  We knew she had some issues with citrus but I never dreamed how many things have citric acid in them.  We took her off half of her supplements because she was reacting to the citric acid in them.  We're also supposed to be avoiding sulphur containing foods like garlic and onion because she's reacting to those now.  Doc said to watch lotions, shampoos and conditioners, too.  I have no clue where I'll find a shampoo and conditioner without citric acid.  I looked into making my own once but it wasn't as simple as I thought.

Ugh!  And cooking with out onion and garlic?  What kind of food is it without those things?  This is going to be rough but worth it I hope!

I've seen recipes for "cream cheese" using the coconut cream that rises to the top of the can when it's chilled.  It was more like sour cream, IMO.  It called for 2/3 of a cup of coconut cream, 1/2 t of lemon juice and 1 t of nutritional yeast.  You mixed it together and chilled it.  When it was chilled it was slightly stiffer.  I've had the Uncheese cookbook recommended to me but I have yet to purchase it. 

Don't forget to check the label on fake cheeses.  Many of them have casein (dairy protein) in them.  Unless they say Vegan on them check to be sure.  We had an experience with Almond cheese.  It tasted pretty good but later I realized that it had casein in it.  Did you know it takes 21 days to get dairy out of your system?

Good luck!

Seana

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 06:38 PM

We're on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet/GAPS diet which is dairy-free except for 24-hour yogurt and certain cheeses.  However, we make our yogurt out of coconut milk, and we make almond milk for drinking (usually mix it with coconut milk for a creamier taste and smoother mouth feel).  For the coconut yogurt recipe look at http://odddlycrunchy.blogspot.com/2011/10/quick-and-easy-coconut-milk-yogurt.html.  The books for the SCD and GAPS diets have a good ideas on going sugar-free, grain-free and (mostly) dairy-free, and you'll find a lot of recipes online if you google-search the diets.  Soy is forbidden by both diets.  Good luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odddlycrunchy View Post

We're on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet/GAPS diet which is dairy-free except for 24-hour yogurt and certain cheeses.  However, we make our yogurt out of coconut milk, and we make almond milk for drinking (usually mix it with coconut milk for a creamier taste and smoother mouth feel).  For the coconut yogurt recipe look at http://odddlycrunchy.blogspot.com/2011/10/quick-and-easy-coconut-milk-yogurt.html.  The books for the SCD and GAPS diets have a good ideas on going sugar-free, grain-free and (mostly) dairy-free, and you'll find a lot of recipes online if you google-search the diets.  Soy is forbidden by both diets.  Good luck!

I was excited about getting a coconut yogurt recipe but the link doesn't work. It says Odddlycrunchy blogspot doesn't exist. Maybe one too many ds in there?

What is GAPS?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

would you all believe i'm allergic to avocado? greensad.gif i wish i could eat it because everyone raves about it.
i hadn't thought of non cow cheeses. i guess i thought it was all the same. i love goat cheese. i don't care for american cheese at all. i like cheddar and stilton.
i think i may need to get myself to walmart. i've been told the commissary here has more and more free foods so i need to check there, too.
i'm trying to be ok with cutting out what i can here and there rather than being able to do it all at once.
oh, i want to go dairy free because i have digestive problems. i don't know if i'm allergic. i was told once by a naturopath that dairy isn't good for my type, whatever that is.
GF for the same reason plus my 7yo has eczema.

If dairy is causing your problems, not eliminating it completley won't do anything.  To see if dairy is the actual problem, you need to remove all traces of it from your diet.  For a month at least.  Otherwise you won't get a good result.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post

If dairy is causing your problems, not eliminating it completley won't do anything.  To see if dairy is the actual problem, you need to remove all traces of it from your diet.  For a month at least.  Otherwise you won't get a good result.

Yes, I know that. It's just not something I think I can do completely all at once. I'm eliminating what I can a step at a time until I can, hopefully, eliminate it completely.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Well good luck then.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I mainly want to eliminate gluten and dairy because I have digestive problems that I haven't been able to fix any other way.

I'm thinking I won't be able to do it, though. I do not cook. I don't like it.

I totally hear you.  I originally went GF for my 5yo son, then a couple years into that I went soy free for myself (it resolved most of my seasonal allergies), and now with DD 8mo she reacts to dairy and many other foods I have tried (including corn, tomato).  I LOVE dairy and also was using cheese as a protein.  It is hard but you can do it!

I was also going to recommend GAPS protocol and diet, I am planning on doing this myself but it is slow going and I'm trying to use up some GF baking mixes (kind of a splurge also) before me and the kids go on the diet.  Actually the 8mo is still EBF but she will be weaned onto GAPS to hopefully heal her gut so she will quit reacting to so many foods.  I believe both kids inherited my bad gut (I have a history of birth control pills, long term antibiotics, SAD and candida which all mess up the gut).

I hear you on the cooking too.  I was SAD all my life until DS was born, sugar cereals and everything, I still don't like cooking but have gotten used to it.  Just try and go with easy recipes and slow cooker recipes.

Info on GAPS:  http://www.gapsdiet.com/Home_Page.html

Quote:

I'm eliminating what I can a step at a time until I can, hopefully, eliminate it completely.

What type of dairy do you think is holding you back, what is the most difficult to eliminate?  Is is the cheese?  Then I would find some recipes you can use for meals that are vegan and soy free, or recipes that don't have cheese in the first place (like pizza and pasta).  Before I had to go corn free, I was using the Earth Balance soy free butter replacement as others mentioned.  I don't think it's THAT great health-wise but it's nowhere near margarine.  Perhaps only use it as a condiment, not where a recipe would call for a lot of butter.  I use olive oil now instead.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM

If you are seriously interested in GAPS, Cara at Health, Home, Happiness is a great resource.  For one, after one month on the GAPS intro diet, she cured her 20 some year dairy sensitivity.  For Two, she developed an eBook for how to do the intro diet to simplify it with step by step recipes, etc.  It isn't free, but it's worth it if you are serious about going down that path.  The book is also a wonderful resource.  Many, many people have cured things from Autism to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and lots of other things on the spectrum with GAPS.  There is an extremely active Yahoo group and a helpful Facebook group too. 

For us, I haven't done intro yet as it can be too much for a nursing baby, but just the full GAPS diet has already helped my thyroid so I've cut down my medicine twice in two months.  Anyway.  It is worth giving serious consideration too.  Once you have to cut out lots of things from your diet anyway, it makes sense to do it in such a way that you can heal yourself to go back to eating those foods eventually. HTH.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 AM

This is the url copied from the webpage address:

http://odddlycrunchy.blogspot.com/2011/10/quick-and-easy-coconut-milk-yogurt.html

(it does have 3 d's on purpose)

But just in case you still have problems I'll copy it here:

Quick and Easy Coconut Milk Yogurt

I revised my coconut milk yogurt recipe. It's much faster, much easier. No heating, no cooling down, no watching temperatures.  No lactose, no casein. 

The coconut milk I use is the Aroy-D in 1 litre TetraPaks.  It lists only coconuts and water as its ingredients, has won awards, is really delicious, and as far as I know, the TetraPak packaging contains no BPA, which canned coconut milk (like most canned foods) does contain.

The dates are added to provide food for the microorganisms (Lactobacillus, Streptococcus, etc).  Dates are said to be very easy to digest, but if you prefer you can replace the 5 dates with 1 Tablespoon of raw honey.  I would still process on high for 10 to 15 seconds to blend in the starter and gelatin thoroughly.

The unflavored gelatin sets the yogurt to a soft gel as it cools.  One pack of gelatin typically sets 2 cups liquid to the firm "Jell-O" consistency we all know.  Here we're doing 4+ cups, so it won't be as firm, but a gentle consistency that blends in a heavenly way with the coconut milk's creaminess. 

Keep refrigerated, like any yogurt.  Should keep well for at least a week but in my house it's gone within about a day, so it's a good thing it's quick and easy to make again!

COCONUT MILK YOGURT

Ingredients:

4 cups coconut milk (1 quart or 1 litre),  at room temperature
1 dose yogurt starter for 1 quart
1 package unflavored gelatin
(e.g.,Knox)
5 dates, pitted and plain (NOT coated with honey)
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Directions:

1. Plug in your yogurt maker.  Assemble all the ingredients near your blender except the vanilla. Pour coconut milk into the blender jar.  Start the blender on a low speed, take off the lid, and sprinkle the unflavored gelatin and the yogurt starter into the middle of the swirling milk.  TURN OFF blender, add dates, put the lid on, and process on high for 1 minute or until dates are liquefied.   Pour into yogurt maker and allow to incubate 6 to 8 hours.

2.  After 6 to 8 hours, the yogurt will be “done”, i.e. fermented, although it will still be liquid and the cream will have risen to the top. Add the vanilla, mix well, and taste the yogurt to see if you prefer to let it ferment longer.  If it's got that great yogurt taste, cover and refrigerate. 

3.  After refrigerating 1 to 2 hours (if in individual cups, less than 1 hour), mix again. The gelatin will be starting to set, which will keep the yogurt from separating again. Cool 2 to 3 more hours before serving.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I was excited about getting a coconut yogurt recipe but the link doesn't work. It says Odddlycrunchy blogspot doesn't exist. Maybe one too many ds in there?
What is GAPS?

GAPS stands for Gut And Psychology Syndrome, but also for Gut And Physiology Syndrome.  We have billions of microorganisms living in our intestines.  They are like a little ecosystem in there,living in colonies somewhat like coral reefs, and their varieties and numbers have a huge role to play in our mental and physical health. The "good" bacteria provide many vitamins, and protect the gut lining.  The "bad" ones like Candida and C. difficile excrete toxins including neurotoxins.   A newborn "inherits" its first gut flora at birth, from the mother, so if the mother has gut dysbiosis (improper balance in the mini-ecosystem), the baby will have it too, leading to autism, ADD, etc, in childhood all the way to adulthood depression and schizophrenia, on the mental side, and Crohn's disease, asthma, allergies, and food intolerances on the physical side, and those are just a few of the conditions that dysbiosis can bring on.  Antibiotics destroy the ecosystem, as do other medicines we give our babies for fever, teething, etc.  Vaccinations can then be the straw that breaks the camel's back, whereas in a gut-healthy child they would not be a problem.  The other factor that can affect the ecosystem is our food: sugars and starches feed the bad bacteria.  So the GAPS diet cuts out all sugars except those in fruits and honey, and all starches (so it's also gluten-free).  Lactose is a sugar so GAPS is also dairy-free, except for those products in which the lactose has been "digested" for example certain cheeses and yogurts. 

So maybe you don't have to cut out ALL dairy.   The GAPS book, Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride, has the list of cheeses you can eat.  To me, this book is a "must-read" even if you're not going to do the diet.  I think it should be taught in high school!  It explains so many things about our health, through the generations.  You'll find yourself putting 2 and 2 together in the family history, that you never thought were related.  And this knowledge will help you prevent horrible damage like autism and IBD just by tweaking your food choices, if you're starting from a pretty healthy position. 

Without buying the book, there are some excellent articles online:
http://gapsdiet.com/uploads/Probiotics.pdf  and http://gapsdiet.com/uploads/GAPS.pdf

Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Are you wanting to be free of all animal milks or just cow milk products? My dh is lactose intolerant for cow milk products but just fine with goat's cheese and foods baked or cooked with goat's milk.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama View Post

Are you wanting to be free of all animal milks or just cow milk products? My dh is lactose intolerant for cow milk products but just fine with goat's cheese and foods baked or cooked with goat's milk.

i hadn't really thought about that. i guess just cow milk products for now. i'm more concerned with the protein than sugar.

i got myself all worked up and confused over the cheese for a protein snack and didn't think of anything else. i can use that daiya cheese for recipes that call for cheese, right?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Daiya doesn't act exactly like dairy cheese - I don't put it IN things, but use it as a topping, and usually add it at the last on something baked. If a recipe calls for cheese, I use about half the amount it calls for when using Daiya. A little goes a LONG way, and if you use too much, you get a greasy blob of waxy yuck, but if you use the right amount, it's great. In a quesadilla with an 8 inch tortilla, I use one ounce (and load it with beans and veggies), on a 14 inch pizza, 8 ounces is plenty. I tend to think of it like mayonaise - an accent, not a focus.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

Daiya doesn't act exactly like dairy cheese - I don't put it IN things, but use it as a topping, and usually add it at the last on something baked. If a recipe calls for cheese, I use about half the amount it calls for when using Daiya. A little goes a LONG way, and if you use too much, you get a greasy blob of waxy yuck, but if you use the right amount, it's great. In a quesadilla with an 8 inch tortilla, I use one ounce (and load it with beans and veggies), on a 14 inch pizza, 8 ounces is plenty. I tend to think of it like mayonaise - an accent, not a focus.

well, i thought of subbing daiya after i saw it in a frozen pizza at the health food store. too bad the pizza crust was made with wheat flour.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

Personally, I don't like the taste of Daiya, it tastes chemically to me. Although we allow our daughter to eat it, we only serve it when she asks for it as it has some sort of yeast that is a glutamate (essentially MSG.)

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:34 PM

I've generally found that if you mix it into something, like the inner layers of a lasagna or mixed into a potato-veggie skillet for example, it sort of vanishes, though I've had good luck making biscuits with it mixed in. It does pretty well as a pizza topping, as long as you don't use too much. There's a chart on the website that recommends the right amount for different sizes of pizza, don't use more than that.

It does not taste like a good dairy cheese, no, more like Kraft singles. Nor does it really have any nutritional value. But I can eat it without getting sick from it, and when I find myself missing cheese, it's better than nothing at all.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

when I find myself missing cheese, it's better than nothing at all.

This is what I'm hoping for because there seem to be a lot of recipes that just wouldn't work without cheese.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I also like to sub yogurt for mayo.

Homemade mayo is super healthy as long as the egg yolks are from local chickens who weren't eating un-chicken food.  It's awesome...doesn't keep and I have to make it each time I eat it, but still, it's awesome.

User Tag List