What goes in your green smoothies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am new to this green smoothie thing, but it is working okay for me. Right now I am drinking baby spinach, frozen peaches, frozen strawberries, a squeezed orange, and some water to make it go round. Yummy!

Yesterday I used baby romaine with orange juice, banana, and strawberries. I drank it, but I think the romaine I used made it bitter.

I am not a green-eater, except for broccoli and some salad. My midwife really wants me to get more greens, and this seems to be the best way to do it for now.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#32 of 35 Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM

notes.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#33 of 35 Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM

So this whole green smoothie thing sounds like a good way for my dh and I to get more greens in the diet. eat.gif

I'm seeing a lot of comments about bananas being a "must" to cover the taste of some of the stronger green flavors and that will work for dh, he loves bananas, but I can't stand the taste or smell of them.

Anyone know anything else that will cut the green taste? Also any more recipes out there that don't contain citrus??

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * rainbow1284.gif 40 * * *

#34 of 35 Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookahjade View Post

So this whole green smoothie thing sounds like a good way for my dh and I to get more greens in the diet. eat.gif

I'm seeing a lot of comments about bananas being a "must" to cover the taste of some of the stronger green flavors and that will work for dh, he loves bananas, but I can't stand the taste or smell of them.

Anyone know anything else that will cut the green taste? Also any more recipes out there that don't contain citrus??

Pineapple is EXCELLENT for balancing and masking the green flavor. If you can get lilikoi (passion fruit) it is also very good. Basically anything sweet/tart will work. I don't use much citrus either (definitely no oranges), but if you can do a little squeeze of lemon or lime, that helps too.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#35 of 35 Old 11-24-2011, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Pineapple, or softened dates sweeten things up and are strong enough to cover the greens taste. (Also raw honey adds some good sweetness.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page