What's a really good mapley-tasting recipe for Thanksgiving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We're having a sort of faux-Thanksgiving this year with a few families with connections to the USA. I'm bringing a few kinds of homemade ice cream to go with the pumpkin pie - probably butterscotch pecan with caramel ripple, maple and wet walnut, and French vanilla (or cinnamon; not sure yet).

The maple walnut ice cream uses about a cup (gulp) of real maple syrup, so I'm going to splurge on a big jug of the baking-grade stuff. So while I'm at it, are there any other really delicious maple syrup-containing recipes I can make? Cupcakes, maybe, or cookies? Nothing too desserty like cheesecake or pie, that's taken care of; more like something to nibble on after the meal? I've made recipes before where the maple flavour has baked right out, which is very disappointing; I want something where the flavour really shines through. Anyone?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you guys eat meat? I would make a maple glaze for ham. Other than that, I dont really know any other things to make with maple syrup other than deserts.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM

You could make a spicy carmelized nut of some sort, eg: maple cayenne pecans/walnuts.  I also once made an oatmeal cookie (those lacy ones that spread a ton and are crispy) with maple syrup.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#4 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 04:50 PM

KAF Yankee Pecan Pie no corn syrup instead it uses maple syrup yummmm, best pecan pie I've ever made. I use my moms pie crust recipe though, not theirs. 

Maple Roasted Butternet Squash this is so good I make it year round. I've also made it with prosciutto instead of pancetta and also tried it with regular smoked bacon but you have to precook it if you use bacon.

#5 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For sweet nibbles, how about  Maple fudge or Maple brittle?  I don't have recipes, sorry. I don't like fudge and don't often make candy. I'm sure you could find them on-line. 

Here is recipe for Maple Caramel Popcorn. A friend gave it to me, but I haven't tried it yet.  

Use  deep saucepan of about 16-cup (4 L) capacity is the perfect size so the caramel does not boil over. You'll need the full 10 cups (2.5 L) of popcorn to get it evenly coated.

10 cups (2.4 L) freshly popped corn, 2.5 L (about 1/2 cup/125 mL kernels)

1-1/2 cups (375 mL) pecan halves

1-1/3 cups (325 mL) granulated sugar

1 cup (250 mL) butter

1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup

1/4 cup (50 mL) corn syrup

1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt

1 tsp (5 mL) maple extract

Place popcorn in large shallow greased roasting pan. Break pecans in half lengthwise; add to pan. Set aside.

In large heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring sugar, butter, maple syrup, corn syrup and salt to boil over medium heat; boil, stirring constantly, until candy thermometer reaches hard-crack stage of 300°F (149°C), 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in maple extract.

Pour over popcorn mixture; stir to coat evenly. Let cool. Break into bite-size pieces. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.)

#6 of 6 Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for the ideas! I really like the idea of maple fudge, although I'd need to hunt around for a no-fail recipe... the only fudge I can successfully make is microwave fudge. :p And wasting a cup or so of maple syrup would be a minor disaster! That maple pecan pie sounds amazing too.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page