Making thin homemade corn tortillas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My homemade corn tortillas turn out well and tonight I experimented with tortilla chips that also turned out well.

However, I can't get them very thin. I think they'd be a totally different beast if I could just get them thinner. However, when I try to get them thinner, they break. Any suggestions?

I cut three sides of a ziplock freezer bag and put that in my press. What do you do?

And detailed info on tortilla chips would be helpful as I made it up as I went along.

I use Bob's Red Mill Masa Harina.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How thin are you aiming for?  How thick are they turning out?  With a press, I would think they'd be about as thin as you could get them.  But if your dough is breaking before the limits of the machine, you probably need a touch more water.

As for chips, it's not difficult.  Cut up the finished tortillas and fry. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM

I agree with pp. I use the same masa, and a press covered with plastic wrap, but having the dough nice and soft is essential (the formula on the bag isn't quite right). I go for something about the consistency of fresh soft play dough, maybe even a little softer. But be careful, it is too soft, you wont be able to get the tortillas off in one piece. Also, let the dough sit for a bit to really absorb the water before forming. Hope this helps.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#4 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

But be careful, it is too soft, you wont be able to get the tortillas off in one piece. 

This is the problem I'm having. I follow the recipe (and adjust water as seems necessary) and let set for an hour, as the recipe states. I use 2 Tablespoons dough and I think I get a 3 inch tortilla. Any thinner and I can't get it off the plastic. I can make them ultra-thin, they just tear when I peel them off the plastic.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Y'all just inspired me to try making my own! :) YUM!

#6 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maself View Post

Y'all just inspired me to try making my own! :) YUM!

Mine are softer than store bought and not as deep a corn taste. My 5 year old presses them and I grill them. He's figured out how to get them the right thickness so they don't stick to the plastic when we take them off. (I cut the seal end off a ziplock quart-size freezer bag and slit two sides so it's sort of like a book with a closed seem on one end. Then put the dough in the middle and press them. You could use a roller instead of a press if you don't have one, but they're a lot easier and more consistent with a press.)

#7 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 09:10 PM

A trick I've seen used is that instead of pressing them on plastic, press them on parchment, peel one side off, and put the free side down on your griddle with the paper still on the other side.  Once it starts cooking, the paper on the other side will come off much easier.

orvis likes this.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#8 of 12 Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

A trick I've seen used is that instead of pressing them on plastic, press them on parchment, peel one side off, and put the free side down on your griddle with the paper still on the other side.  Once it starts cooking, the paper on the other side will come off much easier.

That sounds great. I'll try it. 

Any suggestions for making them thin for tortilla chips?

#9 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 AM

I've had problems with getting the tortillas thin enough but the way they turned out were fine, just more like a torta, I find it much easier to make flour tortillas. 

#10 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM

If it's thin enough to be moderately pliable, it's thin enough for chips.  You may have to turn your heat down a little bit and cook them a bit longer if they're burning before they get crisp though. 

#11 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 12:40 PM

SundayCrepes, are you trying to make chips by cooking the tortillas like you normally do and then just cutting them up? Or are you frying them afterwards? They do need to be precooked, cut and fried if you want them authentic. Chips are really just a way to use up stale tortillas.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#12 of 12 Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess in hawaii View Post

SundayCrepes, are you trying to make chips by cooking the tortillas like you normally do and then just cutting them up? Or are you frying them afterwards? They do need to be precooked, cut and fried if you want them authentic. Chips are really just a way to use up stale tortillas.

Interesting. That may be it. I was using raw dough. I'll try them this way.

Thanks so much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page