ISO Wholesome Easy Side Dishes for the Holidays - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am looking for easy side dishes with "real" ingredients. If it were up to me I would make and serve plain sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli (season your own). We love them as is. Holiday family meals are not at our home so instead it is casserole this and that loaded with butter and prepackaged things and who knows what else. I am looking for some side dishes I can whip up and enjoy for us and hopefully others with like as well. I am hoping to come up with a  dish or two that we can choose to fill our plates in place of the "junk" without totally remaking the meal. Any ideas welcome. TIA. Happy Holidays.

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

#2 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Welcome to Thanksgiving with my family.  The only prepackage item on the menu is the stuffing and the green bean casserole.  And except for the turkey and gravy, everything is lacto-ovo vegetarian.  We have mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with apples, carrots with horseradish, raw cranberry relish, home made rolls, tossed green salad with pears (the pears are canned in juice and the dressing is bottled), the above mentioned green bean casserole, home made macaroni and cheese.  The desserts are as plentiful as the sides and are home made from scratch (exception is the mince pie).

There are upwards of 26 people at our Thanksgivings and everyone brings a dish.  Mom bakes most of the desserts and I do the mince pie (home made crust with boxed/jar mince meat).  One of these days I hope to afford to make mince pie totally from scratch but it's just not feasible right now.  I do the rolls from scratch.  Usually potato rolls which will make 30 rolls per recipe.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deborah Madison has a great recipe - I'm sure it's online somewhere - for a squash, onion and sage gratin that is hearty and delicious. Braised red cabbage and apple looks pretty with it and you could add a green salad.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#4 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How about roasted vegetables?  Just cut up an assortment of veggies that you like, toss with olive oil, place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and roast in the oven at about 400F until browned and caramelized.  They tend to travel well too.  Mushrooms and onions are a nice combination, but a mix of "hardier" seasonal veggies -- carrots, parsnips, radishes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, turnips, shallots, broccoli and/or onions -- in whatever assortment you like can be a nice addition.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#5 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post

How about roasted vegetables?  Just cut up an assortment of veggies that you like, toss with olive oil, place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and roast in the oven at about 400F until browned and caramelized.  They tend to travel well too.  Mushrooms and onions are a nice combination, but a mix of "hardier" seasonal veggies -- carrots, parsnips, radishes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, turnips, shallots, broccoli and/or onions -- in whatever assortment you like can be a nice addition.

Roasted vegetables is just what I was looking for. Thank you for triggering the reset button on my brain :) I have some broccoli, sweet potatoes, and maybe butternut squash. I am thinking the broccoli and should be done on its own. I'm not sure how they would taste together. If I do broccoli on its own I will add some garlic. I just picked the broccoli up at the store yesterday. I am not sure it will stay fresh until Thanksgiving. Can I freeze it then roast it? I remember reading somewhere once that veggies should be dry when roasting. Opinions???

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think it's a little too far away for broccoli to maintain it's freshness. I've never roasted frozen broccoli, but a friend does. She tosses the frozen florets with olive oil and herbs and roasts at 425F, I think, for about 30 or 40 minutes. I know it's a fairly hot oven. 

I also like roasted cauliflower, in case you are still seeking ideas. 

If you'd like something a little more colourful, roasted beets are wonderful, but take a little bit more work. Wash beets and wrap them individually in foil. No need to peel. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast them at 400F for about an hour. Wearing rubber gloves, remove the foil and peel off the skins (they should just rub off). Cut into quarters or eighths, drizzle with some balsamic vinegar, fresh chopped basil or oregano, salt and pepper and toss with some goat cheese or feta. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page