Can a 2 y/o eat TOO MUCH? Could that mean anything? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Nutrition and Good Eating > Can a 2 y/o eat TOO MUCH? Could that mean anything?
sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 09:23 AM 11-16-2011

My DD is 25 m/o and eats a ton! She is still nursing as well and nurses round the clock still...I try to feed her satiating foods as well.

 

Yesterday this is what she ate:

 

Morning:

 

banana

coconut yogurt (full fat, 1/2 cup)

2 eggs pan fried in cast iron with lard

 

Afternoon:

 

15 baked french fries

2 all natural pork hot dogs (I know not the best meal here, not proud of that)

1/2 cup peas

 

5 crackers

1 mini bag of pretzles

banana

raisins (handful or so)

 

Evening:

 

1 chicken leg

1/2 cup of rice with non-dairy butter (she has a dairy allergy)

1/2 cup mixed veggies

 

She finishes her plates at meals, she doesn't pick through them. She also drank about 10 oz of water and nursed about 10 times.

 

Does this seem like a normal amount of food for a 25 m/o? Could this indicate anything health wise if it's abnormal?

 

 



hildare's Avatar hildare 12:34 PM 11-16-2011

that doesn't seem like a whole lot to me.  dd is close to that age, she has phases where she eats a ton, and then some days she won't eat much.  my dd is weaned at this point though.  as long as your kid seems to be running it all off, i wouldn't think twice about it, honestly.


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 01:34 PM 11-16-2011


Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

that doesn't seem like a whole lot to me.  dd is close to that age, she has phases where she eats a ton, and then some days she won't eat much.  my dd is weaned at this point though.  as long as your kid seems to be running it all off, i wouldn't think twice about it, honestly.



She's not overweight at all she's actually only in the 25th percentile....I guess I just feel weird b/c everyone elses kids I know won't eat anything or take bites here and there and everyone always comments about how much DD eats. Someone said she could be diabetic but I have no reason to think that besides she eats a lot and drinks a lot and doesn't sleep well.

 

I'm glad someone thinks it's normal! I don't limit her food at all and just go with the flow. She is always whining for food though always. If I make muffins she eats 5 of them in one day. I bought bananas after not having them a week and she had 4 in a row. IDK everyone keeps telling me it's not normal.


Momo123's Avatar Momo123 01:54 PM 11-16-2011

I think it's within the range of normal, some toddlers eat more than others of course. My DS (he's almost 2.5 yo) eats similarly (maybe not as much for snack but the rest yes), though he no longer nurses. He always finishes his food, unless he doesn't like something. One thing I noticed, since I started eating grain-free, is that I seem to eat a lot more food because I don't have grains to fill me up. My DS does eat some grains (he's gluten-free) but I limit it so I was thinking that's why he may eat more of everything else. I just mention it because your DD didn't eat grains at two of the meals you listed.

 

Your DD's diet seems very healthy and as long as she is happy and healthy it doesn't seem like there's anything to worry about.


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 01:59 PM 11-16-2011

Aren't rice and potato grains? We try not to do too much carb wise, I think paleo is an ideal type of diet but we are really tight financially right now so potatoes and rice are needed right now...

 

DD is very physically fit, energetic, and muscular.


ASusan's Avatar ASusan 02:04 PM 11-16-2011

Seems normal to me. People comment on how much DS eats, too, and what you've posted looks about what he would eat at that age. He would eat an ENTIRE Chipotle burrito bowl (rice, 2 kinds of beans, meat, corn, salsa) when he was 2.5-3 yrs old. Other kids at Chipotle pick at their bowl of plain rice and eat a few crackers.

 

My only concern *might* be that she isn't metabolizing all of what she eats, so she needs more. With a food allergy or sensitivity, my concerns turn to that.


Momo123's Avatar Momo123 02:10 PM 11-16-2011

Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you for eating grains because that wasn't my intention! Yes, rice is a grain and potatoes I guess is technically non-paleo but I don't cosider it a grain... I was just pointing out that not having grains could be a reason your DD eats a "big" breakfast for example, as most SAD breakfasts involve some sort of grain like toast, cereal, pancake etc... I don't eat grains now because of my own health issues but my DS does eat rice or potatoes as does DH. Anyway, it seems like your DD has a balanced diet and is healthy which is the most important thing!


Momo123's Avatar Momo123 02:22 PM 11-16-2011

ASusan, that is really interesting what you said about food allergies, since my DS has many food allergies/intolerances. I wonder if that is why he eats a lot more, to make up for the fact that he is not absorbing nutrients as efficiently? He seems to be growing normally now though (although he was almost off the growth chart at one point during infancy). Thanks for the new perspective!


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 02:23 PM 11-16-2011


Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo123 View Post

Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing you for eating grains because that wasn't my intention! Yes, rice is a grain and potatoes I guess is technically non-paleo but I don't cosider it a grain... I was just pointing out that not having grains could be a reason your DD eats a "big" breakfast for example, as most SAD breakfasts involve some sort of grain like toast, cereal, pancake etc... I don't eat grains now because of my own health issues but my DS does eat rice or potatoes as does DH. Anyway, it seems like your DD has a balanced diet and is healthy which is the most important thing!



I didn't take it that way! I thought you were telling me to give her grains and I was confused b/c I had. She has never been a big grain eater, she won't even touch bread or cereal. She will eat pancakes if they are home made and she has a waffle sometimes. She won't even eat oatmeal (with sugar even!). She just always wants eggs and if I give her something else 10 mins later she's at the fridge crying for eggs!


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 02:24 PM 11-16-2011

Right she is corn. soy, and dairy free. We are GMO free as well.


ASusan's Avatar ASusan 02:50 PM 11-16-2011

Well, then, I put money down on my post in your other thread. The difficult  behavior is food-related - a food you haven't taken out/figured out yet.

 

My DS has food allergies/sensitivities, too. He has always been in the higher percentiles (above 97th for height and around 60-80%tile for weight). Has always grown well. Has always been a "good" eater. But, at times, I can't help but wonder if he isn't getting all that he "needs" from food. (especially when I see some of it coming out undigested at the other end! Normal for 8 mos, but not for a 4-yr-old).

 

When his behavior gets a little crazy (and he's normally cheerful and easy-going) - tendency toward meltdowns, uncooperative, even combative - I give him Focus Factor for Kids. There is SOMEthing in that supplement that he is NOT getting through his typically-quite-good diet (better than the average preschooler, but not as good as some children here on MDC), that his brain NEEDS for him to feel and act well.

 

Sorry that I write in parenthetical notes.


mommy212's Avatar mommy212 07:51 PM 11-16-2011

Sounds normal to me, maybe a growth spurt or just passing into a larger, kid-sized appetite. Personally my DS doesn't eat close to that much most of the time but when he does I let him eat until he says he is full. If she keeps eating overly-large amounts (in your opinion) you may want to mention it to a doctor as she may not be digesting it properly or something.


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 05:57 AM 11-17-2011

She has been eating this much since about 14 m/o. I mentioned it to the Dr and I think they thought I was crazy b/c she is tall and lean. She only weighs 24lbs and is 33.5 inches. She's 25 m/o.


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 05:57 AM 11-17-2011

Her bowels are very regular though and always soft. I give her probitotics as well.


ASusan's Avatar ASusan 01:27 PM 11-17-2011

Have you played with digestive enzymes? helps the body digest what it's getting.


Learning_Mum's Avatar Learning_Mum 01:21 AM 12-04-2011

Just stopping by but my take on it is if she's not overweight and has lots of energy and seems otherwise normal, I wouldn't really worry about it.


Megan73's Avatar Megan73 11:46 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_Mum View Post

Just stopping by but my take on it is if she's not overweight and has lots of energy and seems otherwise normal, I wouldn't really worry about it.

I agree. My (tall,slim) DS, age three, can eat incredible quantities of food. I assume it's because he never stops moving! I try to make sure it's mostly healthful but other than that, I don't worry about it.
I just wanted to warn you, though, that those "all natural" hotdogs may be even worse than you think:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/business/02hotdog.html
Wolfcat's Avatar Wolfcat 10:20 PM 12-04-2011

Both my kids eat like they will never see food again. DS will ask for a snack 5 minutes after a meal. Once he asked DURING supper. We call him Famine.

DD isn't so bad, but sometimes she puts away more food than the adults. It's crazy.


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 04:29 PM 12-08-2011


Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post


I agree. My (tall,slim) DS, age three, can eat incredible quantities of food. I assume it's because he never stops moving! I try to make sure it's mostly healthful but other than that, I don't worry about it.
I just wanted to warn you, though, that those "all natural" hotdogs may be even worse than you think:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/business/02hotdog.html


I did know this but figured nitrates from celery were not harmful? The article doesn't really say...just says it's in there. I mean synthetic anything is harmful but if it's natural is it OK?

 

We don't normally have them in the house, honestly I bought them on a whim b/c they were half off at $1.99 and we are broke.

 


Megan73's Avatar Megan73 04:42 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post



I did know this but figured nitrates from celery were not harmful? The article doesn't really say...just says it's in there. I mean synthetic anything is harmful but if it's natural is it OK?

We don't normally have them in the house, honestly I bought them on a whim b/c they were half off at $1.99 and we are broke.

The nitrates from celery extract are just as harmful - they're just from natural sources. From what I've read, the "natural" dogs can contain 10X the nitrates, which increase the risk of colorectal cancer, as conventional hotdogs. Unfortunately, natural doesn't always mean healthful.
I WISH that wasn't the case - I adore any kind of cured meat. I try to avoid it but I'm still serving my usual ham for Christmas Eve and I don't stress if my three-year-old has an occasional hotdog at our street party or something.
sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 08:19 AM 12-09-2011

EEK OK duly noted :)


Norabella's Avatar Norabella 12:32 AM 12-22-2011


Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post


The nitrates from celery extract are just as harmful - they're just from natural sources. From what I've read, the "natural" dogs can contain 10X the nitrates, which increase the risk of colorectal cancer, as conventional hotdogs. Unfortunately, natural doesn't always mean healthful.
I WISH that wasn't the case - I adore any kind of cured meat. I try to avoid it but I'm still serving my usual ham for Christmas Eve and I don't stress if my three-year-old has an occasional hotdog at our street party or something.


Do you have a source you could share for this statement? I would love to know more about this issue.


Megan73's Avatar Megan73 07:26 PM 12-22-2011
The director of nutritional epidemiology for the American Cancer Society makes a statement to that effect quoted in the New York Times article I posted upthread.
Norabella's Avatar Norabella 11:40 AM 12-23-2011

offtopic.gif

 

The statement in the article is that they are "virtually identical" but doesn't cite any research to support the contention that the health effects are the same. I personally don't tend to agree with the assumption that natural substances and synthetic substitutes which are "virtually identical" have the same health effects. And, I am inclined to remain skeptical until I see evidence of research to support that premise in a specific case. Someone in a position of authority saying so doesn't qualify as evidence IMO. After all, we've all seen the statement on dairy products that "the FDA has said there is no difference between milk from cows treated with rBGH and those not treated, and no test can differentiate between the two" (or something like that). Does that mean we shouldn't be worried about rBGH/rBST? I don't believe so.

 

 

OP, I apologize for going off topic. The issue of natural nitrates/nitrites is one that I haven't fully settled for myself and I was really hoping to get some additional information.


Megan73's Avatar Megan73 01:21 PM 12-23-2011
I trust the Cancer Society more than the meat industry. YMMV.
faroutmomma's Avatar faroutmomma 08:45 PM 12-24-2011

To be frank, I would avoid 'noticing' or documenting what she eats like this- at two, if she's eating, and it's mostly healthy, you're good.

 

Trust your child  :)


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 02:27 PM 12-27-2011

Oh man it's gotten 10x worse!

 

Today she's eaten

 

8 blueberry mini waffles

3 bananas

2 apples

1/2 cup of tomatoes

1/2 broccoli/carrots/cucumbers

1/2 of a very large egg salad sandwhich

a granola bar

 

we haven't even had dinner yet. I have just accepted she eats a ton but DH gets weird about it and thinks we should be limiting her like only 1 banana a day (her obsession food) but I disagree...she eats healthily in my eyes (even though I have some friends that would be horrified she is eating 3 bananas in a day b/c of all the sugar)

 

She still won't really eat meat so I think that maked her eat more of other things b/c meat is more satiating....?

 

IDK!


Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 02:52 PM 12-27-2011

She sounds an awful lot like all of my kids at that age.  And now, really.  They all eat way more than either I or my dh!  It's insane some days.

 

Seems like all my kids ate like horses until they were 3.  Then for some reason the next 6 months were picky months, followed by chronically chowing down anything not nailed to the floor for the rest of their childhoods.

 

Oh, and when they were toddlers I never ever limited the amount of any healthy foods they could eat.  5 bananas in one day?  Sure.  As long as they also ate plenty of protein.  Toddlers usually get their foods needs met in different ways than older kids and adults.  They'll get what their little bodies need in the way of say, bananas, and then move onto something else.  One of my kids went thru a phase where tomatoes were the 'it' food for like 3 months.  If there were any in sight, they would be cried for.  Same with swiss chard, raw from the garden, almonds, spoons full of peanut butter, string cheese.  I notice most of the things my kids would want a whole lot of were higher fat usually.  They really, really need that fat when they are little!


sosurreal09's Avatar sosurreal09 09:59 PM 12-27-2011

Good to know the obsession thing is normal! I thought it was b/c I know so many kids obsessed with goldfish crackers LOL At least DDs are always fruits and veggies.

 

She didn't eat that much for dinner anyways just 1 cup of kale, onion, and cabbage. She won't eat rice or grains anymore. shrug.gif

 

I guess I just get nervous b/c everyone always says something about it. It's not like she's fat or anything. Maybe people keep saying something b/c of all the childhood obesity propaganda that has been going on the last couple of months. We have a ton of it all of a sudden on tv commercials and radio. She really doesn't eat sweets though like hardly ever. I am lax on holidays really and that's about it. Even then the sweets are home made.

 

Thanks for all the reassurance parenting can make you doubtful sometimes!

 

I also have another question about the nitrate thing. Someone told me to watch out for sausage but the sausage we get just says pork, spices, salt, and water on them. DD loves them and eats them like daily they just say all natural but don't say anything about nitrates and don't say anything about celery. Do you think they are ok? She is up to 3 eggs a day and one or 2 sausages for breakfast IDK what to replace them with if they aren't!


Chicky2's Avatar Chicky2 08:55 AM 12-28-2011

I personally wouldn't have a problem feeding those sausages to my kids.  I usually make our own sausage (breakfast patties), and once a year we make links. 

 

Sounds to me like she is one of those "good eaters" ya hear people wishing their kids were...We just always offered lots of variety and have no problems w/our kids eating well.  Now, I currently have 4 other kids for the week, and they are a pain at mealtimes.  I had one yesterday try (she's 12!) tearing her sugar snap peas up into bits and fake eating them (I was watching out of the corner of my eye), thinking that making the pile change shapes would make me think she ate them.  I asked her to eat THREE of them--it's not like I asked her to eat a whole bag.  I made her eat them and let her know I knew what she was trying to do.  Kids...Should've seen her w/roasted beets!  LOL! 


1 2 

Up