Looking for a dairy, coconut, soy, corn free pumpkin pie filling recipe *simple* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mother in law wants to make us a pie we can eat for Thanksgiving. Dd loves pumpkin pie and has requested it and heck I would like some too :)

I only need the filling part since I can get a gf frozen pie crust locally. We will be using canned pumpkin. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#2 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM

i wanna say the only dairy in pumpkin pie filling is the evaporated milk right? i used a can of evaporated goats milk to make a pumpkin pie my dairy allergic son could eat. however, i dont remember the whole recipe, so i dont know if the regular recipe (i use the one on the back of the can of pumpkin, lol, and add a whole lot more spices smile.gif ) has any of the other things you need to avoid. i dont think so, but they might be hidden somewhere

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#3 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Here's a pumpkin custard recipe. I haven't tried it. I wonder how it would be in a crust. (You should check out her crust. Totally amazing. Not sure if online or in book.) http://www.elanaspantry.com/pumpkin-custard/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Here's a pumpkin custard recipe. I haven't tried it. I wonder how it would be in a crust. (You should check out her crust. Totally amazing. Not sure if online or in book.) http://www.elanaspantry.com/pumpkin-custard/

I did come across that one in my search and it looks good but I don't think we should try cashews at this point. I've made a few things from her cookbook and they are amazing. Yum!

#5 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Can you use eggs?  If so, it should be fairly simple to come up with something.  Maybe almond milk as the "dairy" component?

#6 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 PM

you could just sub in Hemp milk

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#7 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post

I did come across that one in my search and it looks good but I don't think we should try cashews at this point. I've made a few things from her cookbook and they are amazing. Yum!

In some recipes I've substituted sunflower seeds and, yes, pumpkin seeds for cashews. Maybe that would work for you.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 15 Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 PM

There's one on the gluten free goddess blog that I make. Im not able to link it for you right now, sorry.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#9 of 15 Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

We make a pumpkin pie that can be made without any milk at all, just skip the milk.  (For obvious reasons, it works better with homemade pumpkin puree than the packed canned pumpkin.)  It tastes a little different not having the milk in, and I tend to cut the ginger in half, and watch the cinnamon.  Adding extra liquid mutes the spice flavors.  Actually, we bake this in a chocolate cookie crumb crust.  We make our own oat chocolate cookies since my daughter is wheat-free.  Really, really yummy, but not traditional.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#10 of 15 Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM

This is the one I'll be making this year...looks awesome to me, and really simple!!

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/10/four-ingredient-vegan-pumpkin-pie.html

#11 of 15 Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsamom View Post

This is the one I'll be making this year...looks awesome to me, and really simple!!

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/10/four-ingredient-vegan-pumpkin-pie.html

That looks delicious. Wish we could do the cashews.....

Going to check out GF Goddess one. 

#12 of 15 Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Why not just use a standard pie recipe, and sub a dairy-free milk such as almond or hemp?  I think that the only dairy in my recipe is from the evaporated milk (I never use that, I use cream).  I've made it dairy-free in the past by using an alternate milk.  Worked just fine.  I may have used an extra egg, to help with thickness and set.  

#13 of 15 Old 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

Why not just use a standard pie recipe, and sub a dairy-free milk such as almond or hemp?  I think that the only dairy in my recipe is from the evaporated milk (I never use that, I use cream).  I've made it dairy-free in the past by using an alternate milk.  Worked just fine.  I may have used an extra egg, to help with thickness and set.  

I second this suggestion. We're a dairy free household and egg sensitive (husband can have egg replacer but not actual eggs) so we use a standard recipe, and instead of milk I just put in soy milk (you could easily use rice or almond milk instead) and egg replacer instead of the eggs. It always comes out great in flavor and texture. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I second this suggestion. We're a dairy free household and egg sensitive (husband can have egg replacer but not actual eggs) so we use a standard recipe, and instead of milk I just put in soy milk (you could easily use rice or almond milk instead) and egg replacer instead of the eggs. It always comes out great in flavor and texture. 

Will try this thanks!

#15 of 15 Old 11-24-2011, 11:00 AM

I third the just sub some alternative milk for dairy. My family loves pie this way. I am egg free and dairy free so I use a tablespoon of tapioca starch for egg and basically follow the same recipe with a few modifications. I am also grain free so I make a almond four crust and a rice crust for the rest of the family. GF crust always comes out better than wheat flour crust.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page