Food processors: cuisanart 11 cup or kitchenaid 12 cup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering making a food processor purchase.  I'd like to experiment with gluten-free pie crust, among other things, and I think that it might be easier with a fp, especially since I'm not that great at making pie crust to begin with, lol.  So, if you have an opinion on cuisanart vs. kitchenaid, please share it!  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

#2 of 16 Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 AM

I love my KA.  I've used Cuisinarts in the past, but I've had trouble with their customer service being totally clueless. 

Whatever you get, I highly recommend getting the one with more than one size of work bowl.  I use the small work bowl far more than the big one. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 16 Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM

I just purchased a brand new Kitchenaid 12-cup processor - I love it already!

I chose this one because Consumer Reports gave it a higher rating over the Cuisinart.  And most online reviews seem to share this preference. 

#4 of 16 Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Gah!!  I've been reading reviews all day, and it seems to be either love or hate for both brands.  I'm thinking that maybe I'll size up to the 14 cup.  I just can't decide.  In your experience, is a more expensive machine equal to a higher quality?  I know that more $$ does not always = better quality, but sometimes you get what you pay for.  

#5 of 16 Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 PM

My grandmother has the Cuisinart (not sure what size, but it's one of the large ones, a new model) and I found the lid and safety features obnoxious and excessive. 

But it worked just fine.

After using each model just twice, I vote for the Kitchenaid!

#6 of 16 Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 AM

I've had both over the years, now I have the Cuisinart Elite 16 cup which replaced my KA one I broke. They have really improved FPs with the Elite. 

#7 of 16 Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Arduinna, is that the one with the sloping sides, nesting bowls, and the gasket to keep it from leaking?  I'm really torn now between that one and the KA 13 cup.  Lol, I really can't decide, I wish someone would just buy me one.

#8 of 16 Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantams View Post

I just purchased a brand new Kitchenaid 12-cup processor - I love it already!

I chose this one because Consumer Reports gave it a higher rating over the Cuisinart.  And most online reviews seem to share this preference. 

I have this one and I love it!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#9 of 16 Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM

I had that KA processor linked previously for about 4 years, until I broke it. Honestly for 50 dollars difference there is no comparison to the Cuisinart Elite. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post

Arduinna, is that the one with the sloping sides, nesting bowls, and the gasket to keep it from leaking?  I'm really torn now between that one and the KA 13 cup.  Lol, I really can't decide, I wish someone would just buy me one.

Yes it is. Here is the link to it

Features listed on their site

• High-capacity, heavy-duty processor with an ultrapowerful motor.
  • Three interchangeable bowls (16-cup, 13-cup and 4 1/2-cup cap.).
  • Easy-to-clean electronic touch-pad controls feature a pulse function.
  • Separate setting dedicated to kneading bread dough.
  • SealTight™ system creates a spillproof seal between the bowl and lid, allowing you to fill to maximum capacity without leakage. * This is a really nice improvement*
  • BladeLock feature locks each blade securely in place while you're pouring ingredients from the bowl. * as is this, no need to stick your finger in the bottom of the bowl*
  • Blades and discs are made of durable, easy-care stainless steel.
  • Redesigned adjustable slicing disc lets you customize size and thickness (up to 6mm) when you're chopping and slicing. * love the adjustable slicing disc, one disc does it all*
  • Reversible shredding disc allows you to quickly grate thick or thin shreds of ingredients.
  • Dough blade makes fast work of kneading. * I really like the new metal dough blade*
  • Chopping blade processes foods or thoroughly mixes ingredients.
  • Extra-large feed tube eliminates need to precut most ingredients.
  • Retractable power cord.
  • Rugged die-cast-metal housing ensures stability and years of use.
  • A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

#10 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Arduinna, how is it to clean?  I've been researching that model, and it seems that reviewers either love it or hate it.

#11 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM

I have no problems cleaning it. I read the complaints too. Honestly, some people will complain about anything. I have gotten stuff in the top between the lid and the seal. It's simple to get out though, just run water through the little holes they put in the lid just for this purpose. 

#12 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Ya know, I was drooling over that list of features in the Elite... right up until I got to the last one.  That honestly kills it for me.  But I will say that the 3 different bowls would be really nice, as would the blade lock - I hate that particular fact of life with my KA. 

I have the one that was linked above, and I've been perfectly happy with it.  Got it as a wedding present.  I may not use it as much as I used to - but that's just life with a toddler (less complex cooking).  I use the small bowl much more often than the big one - sauces and marinades and the like do nicely in there.  I will say though that it can't handle making mustard from seeds... I was very disappointed, next time I'll try the blender. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#13 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 PM

eyesroll.gif Feel free to buy the smaller 14 cup version of the Elite from another seller then. Whatever. 

#14 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Is the Elite not available on Amazon?  I thought I saw it on there the other day.  Off to check.

Edit:  I just looked that up, and looks like the difference is the bigger bowl size on the WS one.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#15 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Yes, Williams Sonoma has the exclusive on the 16 cup version only. From Cuisinart's website the bowl sizes on the 14 cup version are 14-cup Large Bowl, 11-cup Medium Bowl, and 4½-cup Small Bowl with Pour Spouts & Measurement Markings. There is also a 12 cup version of the Elite with 12-cup Large Bowl and 4-cup Small Bowl with Pour Spouts & Measurement Markings. 

#16 of 16 Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Ya know, I was drooling over that list of features in the Elite... right up until I got to the last one.  That honestly kills it for me.  

What's wrong with WS?  Am I missing something?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page