ideas to use up leftover spaghetti? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I accidentally made twice as much spaghetti as I needed.  The sauce is gone, although I could get more.  Any ideas for using this up?

Thanks!

-Dancy

p.s. I have not checked archives yet - I'll check back later and if no one replies I can give that a try.  This must happen to others, doesn't it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Freeze it and use it later. I use tinkyada rice pasta, though I'd think wheat pasta would work as well. Spread it out on a wax paper covered cookie sheet or two. A thin layer. Put it in the freezer. When it's frozen put it in freezer container. When you need a small amount (for a kids' lunch, or whatever) pull out the amount you need and heat. The tinkyada needs a light coating of water during heating. Not sure about wheat.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 01:29 PM

I haven't made one myself, but I have seen recipes for a spaghetti frittata.  Basically you are adding some eggs and a little milk/cream and cheese - plus any other leftover bits of meat or veg you want to add - and bake it up.  If you do a quick google search you'll find a bunch of versions!

Here's a simple one:  http://www.slashfood.com/2005/11/28/got-leftover-spaghetti-make-a-frittata/

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Cincinnati chili! It's so good. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, you guys!  I really appreciate these ideas.  Not sure about whether they fit for me or not...I'd rather use it up than have it take up room in my freezer, not sure my family would eat a frittata, although I really appreciate the link and am thinking about that one.  Not sure what Cincinatti Chili is...

Either way, it feels  so nice to have answers and a kick-start to my thought process here.  Thank you again!

-Dancy

#6 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM

1) Re-heat; add in butter or olive oil; stir; toss w/ some parmesan or other cheese

2) Make a white sauce; melt some cheese in it; put on  re-heated spaghetti

3) Saute some garlic & onions and some veggies; add the spaghetti, stir thru; throw on some parmesan or other cheese

#7 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dancianna View Post

Not sure what Cincinatti Chili is...

Sorry, thought I included a link!. This one at Allrecipes is pretty close to the one I use. I also add dark red kidney beans to mine, and leave out the chocolate. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#8 of 11 Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Honestly, I love pasta scrambled eggs.  Melt some butter, toss in some cold pasta, warm it through, add your scrambled eggs, toss it until the pasta is coated - cook until just about done and add cheese.  Super simple and delicious for either breakfast or dinner.

What's your meal plan for the rest of the week look like?  Is there a meal where the pasta could serve as a bed for something else (like a stir fry?), or a side (maybe cooked up like chow mein?)... if all else fails, a cheese sauce turns it into "mac" and cheese. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

This is one of our favourites...

chop tomatoes into small chunks (about a cup of chopped tomato/adult, maybe slightly less)

quarter an onion and then slice 

finely chop a couple of cloves of garlic

block of fetta, cubed

parmesan, grated.

Fry onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add tomatoes and fry until warm and releasing juices. Add cooked pasta (I usually add the pasta hot so it may be worth dunking it in some boiling water for a minute) and toss to combine. Toss through the cheeses and serve with a grind of black pepper.

This recipe also works well with capsicum, broccolini or spinach instead of the tomatoes. Toasted pine nuts or flaked almonds are also a great addition.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#10 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

1) Re-heat; add in butter or olive oil; stir; toss w/ some parmesan or other cheese

2) Make a white sauce; melt some cheese in it; put on  re-heated spaghetti

3) Saute some garlic & onions and some veggies; add the spaghetti, stir thru; throw on some parmesan or other cheese

Yumm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Sorry, thought I included a link!. This one at Allrecipes is pretty close to the one I use. I also add dark red kidney beans to mine, and leave out the chocolate. 

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Honestly, I love pasta scrambled eggs.  Melt some butter, toss in some cold pasta, warm it through, add your scrambled eggs, toss it until the pasta is coated - cook until just about done and add cheese.  Super simple and delicious for either breakfast or dinner.

What's your meal plan for the rest of the week look like?  Is there a meal where the pasta could serve as a bed for something else (like a stir fry?), or a side (maybe cooked up like chow mein?)... if all else fails, a cheese sauce turns it into "mac" and cheese. 

These are great!  My meal plan for the week looks like a few things in my mind - beans and rice, shepherd's pie, and whatever I do with the spaghetti - my teens and hubby will make due with things like frozen pizza and cereal the rest of the nights...

Thank you all for these great ideas.  I appreciate them very much!

-Dancy

#11 of 11 Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

This is one of our favourites...

chop tomatoes into small chunks (about a cup of chopped tomato/adult, maybe slightly less)

quarter an onion and then slice 

finely chop a couple of cloves of garlic

block of fetta, cubed

parmesan, grated.

Fry onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add tomatoes and fry until warm and releasing juices. Add cooked pasta (I usually add the pasta hot so it may be worth dunking it in some boiling water for a minute) and toss to combine. Toss through the cheeses and serve with a grind of black pepper.

This recipe also works well with capsicum, broccolini or spinach instead of the tomatoes. Toasted pine nuts or flaked almonds are also a great addition.

Thank you for these too - they really look good - and possible for me to do, also.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page