Canning question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've always done my canning/preserving using tested recipes only.  I do take food safety very seriously, and I don't want to make anyone sick.  :)

However, I've got a family member that wants some of my barbecue sauce.  He lives 10 hours away, so canning it seems to be the best way to preserve it for him.  It seems that it would be safe for canning, but how do you know?  Is there a site that can help you figure out if a non-canning recipe can be preserved?  

The sauce is made of half ketchup, half vinegar as a base, with plenty of sorghum, worchestershire, hot sauce (made of vinegar), and spices.  So pretty acidic, which is what makes me think it would be okay.  But, I'm just not sure where to start looking to double check.  Any ideas?

#2 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 06:10 PM

That can be canned for sure. Pretty much anything with a half vinegar as the base is going to be able to be safely canned. Honestly, ketchup is the only thing that would go bad outside the refrigerator anyway. Sounds yummy!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I've recently started to break out into untested recipes as well, and it's exciting and scary! I think Adaline's Mama is right in that it can be safely canned. If you're on FB, check out SB Canning's page. She's great and is super experienced and devotes a lot of time to helping canners get started, as well as answering questions. I believe she's a MFP so she knows her stuff. She comes from a follow-the-tested-recipes mindset too, so I feel the safety off her untested recipes is good. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 6 Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother canning that.  We never stored ketchup in the fridge growing up, and with the amount of vinegar in that, it'll probably keep just fine for quite a while.  Unless you're planning on shipping it, in which case I would at minimum seal the lid to avoid leaks. 

We used to make our homemade bbq sauce with a ketchup base (no vinegar), and store it in the pantry for as long as it lasted - up to a year.  It never did anything untoward (growing mold, fermenting, etc.). 

But to answer your question, if half your volume is undiluted vinegar, I wouldn't hesitate to hot water bath it.  Even my pickles (cucumber chips in a dilute vinegar solution) don't use that much vinegar. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 AM

I can my homemade bbq sauce. I just follow the time in the Ball canning book for their recipe. Which IIRC is 15 minutes BWB method. I'd need to double check though to be sure of the time. 

#6 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page