Refrigerator roll cookies without plastic wrap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just clipped a bunch of great cookie recipes from the latest Vegetarian Times.  However, since they are all refrigerator roll cookies, they all require to be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the fridge at least two hours before slicing.  I e-mailed the Editor and asked if there was a less disposable option, and the only suggestion was to use wax paper (which I guess is at least compostable).  I have never made these kinds of cookies before.  Is there a non-disposable way to do this?  Thanks.

#2 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

an old tupperware celery container would work but you may have issues getting them to come out

you really want them covered- they will dry-out and when you place items in the frig uncovered, it makes the frig work harder too (moisture)

if you are not making them within the hours required you should have them sealed very well 

how is parchment first and foil to seal - any better for you? you can reuse the parchment for baking them and the foil can be reused and recycled 

other then that would be to make "balls" and keep in a covered container, you may need to adjust the "flour" if doing so 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Do you have a silpat?  Other than that, parchment and a gallon ziploc would be my next suggestion.  You can use the parchment to cook them on after their time in the fridge. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

You could also use butcher or freezer paper, if you can get it in your area. Serenbat is right - the main point is keep the dough moist while it chills. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I do have a silpat.  That's why I never use wax paper, parchment paper, or anything else when I bake.  And I use reusable bowl covers in the fridge so I never need plastic wrap.  You think it would dry out in a big tupperware container if it wasn't in there snugly?

#6 of 6 Old 11-28-2011, 02:00 PM

Wrap it in the silpat to hold the form (with the help of a rubber band if necessary) and stick it in a tupperware or a gallon zip-top bag. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page