What would you choose? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am looking for a little insight. We have a family dinner at a resturant coming up. We eat mostly organic, whole foods and from scratch healthy cooking.

At the resturant what would you choose for yourself and for your toddler? Atlantic Salmon, chicken, pork, pasta, rice? I can usually find a cleaner non organic veggie and ask for it to be cooked and served without any salt or oils. I struggle with which is the lesser of evils. The antibitoics and feed the chicken and fed during life or the pesticides on the salad etc. then there is all the junk in the salmon (I rarely find Wild Alaskan Salmon on the menu anywhere and we love salmon!)

So, what would you choose? Which is the lesser of evils in your opinion and why? Keep in mind the family never chooses places with clean options on the menu. Once in a great while we find Amish chicken but that is about it.  TIA .

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

#2 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If they had wild caught fish I would chose that and if not, chicken (as long as it was grilled and not breaded). And I would have it with white rice anyday over white pasta.
#3 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Perhaps chose a main that has relatively small amount of fish or poultry or meat. Eg. a pasta dish with chicken. There will probably be less chicken on the plate than if you ordered a chicken breast (or salmon or pork or whatever).  

#4 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Atlantic Salmon is a bad choice if you're concerned with ethical husbandry.

Honestly, my first choice of land animals in those types circumstances is lamb.  While it may have received antibiotics, and fed conventional (rather than organic), it was not fed on corn/soy/crap.  My 2nd choice of land animals is pork, because they are natural scavengers, and while I may not like a lot of what they're eating, they're at least eating a diet somewhat in line with what they're supposed to be eating (unlike chickens or cows). 

However, my first choice (over the land animals) would be looking for more ethical seafood choices.  Out here that would be (Dungeness) crab, mussels, oysters, clams, etc...  If you're not familiar with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program, I'd recommend you d/l the proper list for your geographic area here

Then I'd be sticking with non dirty-dozen veggies.  Neither wheat nor rice is "safe" by my standards, I'd honestly rather eat potatoes.  Most rice is imported from China, but I would prefer to not even eat conventional CA rice if I can help it, I know too much about what they're sprayed with. 

But, to be honest, if it's only an occasional get-together (rather than weekly), I'd set aside a lot of my personal preferences in order to just enjoy the outing rather than stressing about it.  Or else I'd be rather firmly suggesting a different restaurant for the next get-together.  Or possibly both. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 8 Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you for your responses. I enjoy understanding other people's thought process when it comes to level of importance on this issue. If only we had only safe food choices. I know, keep dreaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

If they had wild caught fish I would chose that and if not, chicken (as long as it was grilled and not breaded). And I would have it with white rice anyday over white pasta.

I am curious why you say white rice over white pasta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Atlantic Salmon is a bad choice if you're concerned with ethical husbandry.

Honestly, my first choice of land animals in those types circumstances is lamb.  While it may have received antibiotics, and fed conventional (rather than organic), it was not fed on corn/soy/crap.  My 2nd choice of land animals is pork, because they are natural scavengers, and while I may not like a lot of what they're eating, they're at least eating a diet somewhat in line with what they're supposed to be eating (unlike chickens or cows). 

However, my first choice (over the land animals) would be looking for more ethical seafood choices.  Out here that would be (Dungeness) crab, mussels, oysters, clams, etc...  If you're not familiar with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program, I'd recommend you d/l the proper list for your geographic area here

Then I'd be sticking with non dirty-dozen veggies.  Neither wheat nor rice is "safe" by my standards, I'd honestly rather eat potatoes.  Most rice is imported from China, but I would prefer to not even eat conventional CA rice if I can help it, I know too much about what they're sprayed with. 

But, to be honest, if it's only an occasional get-together (rather than weekly), I'd set aside a lot of my personal preferences in order to just enjoy the outing rather than stressing about it.  Or else I'd be rather firmly suggesting a different restaurant for the next get-together.  Or possibly both. 

Why is wheat not safe?

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

#6 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Why is wheat not safe?

heavy pesticide use

use of "enriched" really bothers me - see studies on colon cancer rates in countries that do not enricher wheat

some people feel "wheat" in not healthy

just a few reasons

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Why don't you just invite the family over to your house for dinner? Then you can control the menu.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#8 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Out here that would be (Dungeness) crab, mussels, oysters, clams, etc...  If you're not familiar with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program, I'd recommend you d/l the proper list for your geographic area here

yeahthat.gif

you really need to watch "seafood" when eating out- ASK where it is from!

if it's cheap chances are it's not good!

cheap shrimp (mostly farmed and from Thailand or China) shake.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page