Gluten Free Christmas Cookies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 13 year old brother is coming to visit next weekend and has expressed an interest in baking!  My two year old would also enjoy this, so it's a perfect plan!  I want to make Christmas cookies, with shapes to cut out and basic decorations.  Thing is, we're gluten-free and dairy-free around here, and I don't have any good recipes.  I really want it to go well, since my brother likes to complain about gluten free food when he visits.  He eats a very "North American" processed foods diet at his home.

So, has anyone come up with a yummy Christmas cookie that is gluten and dairy free?  Something like a sugar cookie or gingerbread we can cut out and decorate?  Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

www.elanaspantry.com She uses mainly almond flour and some coconut flour. Really yummy.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 AM

We are also gluten and dairy free. For a fall play date I decided I wanted to make colorful leaf sugar cookies. I used this recipe : http://www.joyofbaking.com/SugarCookies.html and substituted the ap flour for Pamela's GF baking mix. It is a softer dough (makes sense since there is no gluten) and I had to add quite a bit of flour when rolling it out. Once the cookies were baked up I could not tell a difference, they were delicious! I also used the recipe for royal icing and I was really pleased with how nicely it hardened :) I will be repeating this recipe for Christmas cookies. Here is a picture of the cookies: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2091430771794&l=711695c0af

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#4 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually just find a regular recipe and just sub the flour with sorghum flour or rice flour (sorghum is the best) and tapioca flour. For a recipe that calls for 3 cups flour, I add 2 cups GF flour, and 1 cup tapioca flour. If it comes out at all crumbly, then let it cool before eating and it should be fine.
#5 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks so much for this thread. We are also gluten free in our house and cookies (with the exception of a yummy peanut butter cookie I have) are the one thing that I just cannot seem to find a recipe I like for.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#6 of 14 Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 AM

I made these last year, and they were amazing:

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-most-wonderful-gingerbread-cookies-80156

I used Gluten Free Pantry's All purpose flour. Also, use coconut oil to substitute for the butter.

In the recipe they say to set for a couple of hours, or refrigerate and bring to room temperature. My first try, I put the dough in the fridge for 4 hours, then came home, brought it to just below room temperature and tried it, and it was super sticky. I rolled it back up and stuck it back in the fridge. Because of life, I didn't get back to it for a couple of days. When I took it out, I rolled it immediately. The first batch was a bit cracked, though not sticky, but each subsequent rolling out and batch was super smooth and not at all sticky...so I think you just need to let it rest for a day or two, and then you can bring it up to room temperature to work with.

I made a couple other modifications that aren't gluten related. It called for 1 TBS ginger, but I did 2 tsp instead because I was afraid it might be too spicy for the kids. I also did 2 tsp cinnamon. Other than that, it's all the same.

The frosting was just Royal icing...1 egg yolk, 1.5 cups sifted powder sugar, and 1 tsp lemon juice.

#7 of 14 Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post

I also used the recipe for royal icing and I was really pleased with how nicely it hardened :)

I just looked for the frosting recipe and couldn't find it. Can you share the link? 

Thanks

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 14 Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

I just looked for the frosting recipe and couldn't find it. Can you share the link? 

Thanks

It's on the same link listed directly underneath the sugar cookie recipe. Look again and if you can't find it I'll post it directly here :)

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#9 of 14 Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post

It's on the same link listed directly underneath the sugar cookie recipe. Look again and if you can't find it I'll post it directly here :)

Thanks. I see it now. I was hoping it was cane sugar free. Sigh.

#10 of 14 Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM

For frostings, I use tapioca starch, maple syrup, palm oil/shortenng (or you could use butter if you weren't allergic to dairy), anda dash or vanilla. It is so yummy!! Oh and it is even better when adding some cocoa powder.
#11 of 14 Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

For frostings, I use tapioca starch, maple syrup, palm oil/shortenng (or you could use butter if you weren't allergic to dairy), anda dash or vanilla. It is so yummy!! Oh and it is even better when adding some cocoa powder.

Sounds good. I'll have to try. I'm also looking for a recipe for a frosting I can pipe with.

#12 of 14 Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Sounds good. I'll have to try. I'm also looking for a recipe for a frosting I can pipe with.

You can totally pipe with this but you may just have to play with the ratios of fat to tapioca starch.
#13 of 14 Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

I usually just find a regular recipe and just sub the flour with sorghum flour or rice flour (sorghum is the best) and tapioca flour. For a recipe that calls for 3 cups flour, I add 2 cups GF flour, and 1 cup tapioca flour. If it comes out at all crumbly, then let it cool before eating and it should be fine.

I am out of tapioca flour- would it work with a different starch?  I have arrowroot and potato starch.  Would either of those work?

#14 of 14 Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Subbing

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page