feeding baby when there's not enough ebm - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS has been on a nursing strike for over a week now--he'll only latch on in his sleep. He's eating some solids, but not a whole lot, and thanks to a stomach bug my pumping isn't keeping up with his demand.

Any advice on what to feed him? DD transitioned to goat milk at 13 mo. For when away from me, but DS is not even 9 mo., so I don't want to over-rely on it to his detriment. Do we have to go to formula?

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#2 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It is so, so painful to have your LO refuse the breast. I'm sure you've tried everything but kellymom.com has some great resources on nursing strikes.
In the meantime, I would supplement with formula. IMO it's a safe, adequate substitute that's designed for human babies.
If we were talking about a few ounces a day AND he was eating a wide variety of solids, I wouldn't have a problem with using an animal milk but if it's the bulk of his diet, I'd choose formula.
I hope he's nursing again soon.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Do you have an active 'human milk for human babies' group in your area? That might be a way to go. Could it be that he is teething or his mouth hurts? Maybe homeopathic teething gel? Is he getting sippy cup preference? *hug* I hope it works out soon and that your supply bounces back in the meantime. Lots ofmoms on here have had great results with domperidone--it might be worth checking into getting a temporary supply of it until your stomach bug resolves and your lo is back to the breast again.

Happy and in love with my family!
#4 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Good point - I should have mentioned dom. It's definitely worth a try.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I would make home made raw formula so he's consuming living instead of dead food.  Have you tried teas to help with your supply?  Coconut water (right out of the coconut) can help with your electrolyte and fluid loss from your illness and help you bounce back and heal up faster

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page