'Cream' soup ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my toddler's new favorite food is creamed vegetable soups. Naturally I am really happy about this. He has always seemed to have texture/chewing issue with veggies unless they were really mushy (overcooked). With the pureed veggie soups, he loves the flavors and gets all sorts of awesome vitamins! So far we have had (and loved) coconut-ginger-carrot soup, broccoli-potato, broccoli-spinach and kale-tomato-white bean (I actually just pureed him some of the stew we ate of this, kind of like feeding a little baby! haha). I am looking for your favorite cream soup flavor combinations. I have a good basic recipe for making any kind but I thought I would find some good flavor combination ideas on here :) I think next we will try a kale-potato, or maybe butternut/pumpkin and roasted garlic.

#2 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 10:07 PM

Ooh, will you post you basic recipe for the rest of us?

I've used cashews for the 'cream' in soups, just grind them in the blender with some f the cooking juice.

Happy and in love with my family!
#3 of 9 Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM

My kids love orange soup.

Saute onions (could use garlic also).

Add butternut squash OR pumpkin OR sweet potato, and bunch of carrots. If you add too much of the pumpkin / squash / sweet potato it will be very sweet. I woudl say mine is about 70% carrot and 30% the other veg.

You can add cream or milk, but don't need to. I like to do this in the crock put all day (put onions in a couple of hours before to "saute" in the crock), and then blend it right before supper right in the crock. It also freezes really well.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#4 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

We love pumpkin soup.

1-2 brown onions, roughly chopped

about 750g of pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped

enough water or stock to cover the vegetables

salt and pepper to taste

plain yoghurt

finely chopped fresh parsley or chives.

Put onions and pumpkin in a large pot and cover with water or stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the pumpkin is tender (about 20-30 minutes depending on how small the pieces are). Remove from heat. Blend with a stick blender (or ladle into a normal blender) until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls. If desired, put a dollop of yoghurt in the centre and sprinkle with chopped herbs.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 AM

I made a really good squash soup with I had a kabocha which I had previously roasted. I sauteed an onion and 3 cloves of garlic in plenty of butter and coconut oil, pureed that with the squash, returned it to the pot and added two vegetable bouillion cubes, a spoonful or so of yellow curry powder, a quarter to a half a spoon of ginger, salt & pepper (and maybe a bit of cumin too). It was so good, my kids ate it all except the one bowl I had.

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#6 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My potato leek soup recipe (which is pretty much just potatoes,leeks and chicken stock) calls for a 1/2 cup of cream to be added at the end of cooking. I find it doesn't really need it. 

Jerusalem artichokes make a nice soup, again with or without a little cream added at the end. 

#7 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

purees we do-

apple/squash (acorn and long neck & arkansas black apples/chicken stock) with bacon 

pumpkin (long neck squash/chicken stock ) - warmed up with cream or coconut milk and red curry paste

tomato (chicken stock)

blue potato (veggie stock)

curried carrot (veggie stock and or chicken stock)

seafood bisque (pork stock)

broccoli cheese (veggie stock)

adding cream to all 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Master recipe for cream of vegetable soups:

1 1/3-1/2 cups aromatics- carrots, leeks, garlic, onions, celery, shallots, or ginger; whatever goes best with your soup

-saute until onions/garlic soften, or brown if desired, in 2 tbls (or a little more) of your desired fat. When they are readyf or the next step, add in any spice you want for the soup (curry, coriander/cumin, mustard seed, paprika, etc)

Add in your choice of main vegetable, or a mix- about 1 1/2 lbs total of veggie. Simmer with 5 cups of liquid (or more or less, but if you do too little it will be hard to puree) such as stock, water, or coconut/dairy milk (for only part of it). Add 3 tbs of a flavoring liquid, such as white, vermouth, sherry, apple cider or orange juice. Simmer 20 minutes or until tender.

Puree in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Return to the pan (or a clean pan) and finish with 1 tsp or so acid (lemon/lime juice is best, or vinegar) and 1/4 cup cream, buttermilk or yogurt, if desired. Garnish with herbs, minced cooked bacon/prosciutto, nuts, croutons, etc

#9 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm making cream of tomato this week.  Other faves are cream of spinach, cream of mushroom, and cream of parsnip.  I also make a pumpkin soup out of canned pumpkin (quick and easy - you could use squash) with spicy sausage in it - pumpkin soups need a LOT of salt. 

Cream of cauliflower - with some blue cheese for the adults.  Yum.

It doesn't need to be cream of - you can puree almost any soup.  Borscht is sometimes served pureed - cabbage, potato, beet. 

Avocado soup (I make this in the blender - served at room temp).

Beans/lentils/pea soups

Zucchini soup

Onion soup

Corn Chowder - really, any chowder

Really, almost anything you might find in your veggie drawer can be made into a soup.

Just be sure to remove any meat chunks before pureeing. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page