Freezer meal suggestion for an expectant mama? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One of my neighbours is pregnant, with an EDD of Christmas Eve. We're not super close, but we do chat, and my kids and her two other ones are fairly friendly.

I can't imagine having a baby due right at Christmas, with two other kids to look after. I also know they've been having a lot of financial ups and downs over the last couple of years. So, I was planning to drop off a freezer meal in the next few days, to help ease some of the chaos of a new baby and the holidays. But, I don't really have any idea what to make. The fallback I hear for freezers is lasagna, but I've also seen several people say "please, not lasagna - last time, I got six" sort of things. In any case, I've only ever made a lasagna once, so it's not something I'm super skilled at in the first place.

The family has no known allergies, but they don't eat pork, for religious reasons. Please give me your suggestions for a nice meal, for a family of four, that I can drop off for her to put in her freezer. (I've never actually done this before, because I have really weird social issues/phobias around preparing food for other people. But, I know they could really use it!)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#2 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Enchiladas, soups, just about any casserole.  For my pp period, I froze meatloafs (raw, in the disposable pan).  This time I'll be doing chili and moussaka as well (chili cornbread casserole is one I've done in the past). 

Really, just think about the foods you normally cook - the ones your family likes.  Any one-pot meals?  Any casseroles?  Anything particularly yummy that would freeze well? 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Soup. Can't go wrong. Chili and cornbread might be another option.

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#4 of 11 Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't even thought of soup. I don't make it very often, although I'm not sure why. Our favourite has ham, but I can probably find a good one that doesn't.

Thanks!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM

I second veggie chili and cornbread.  Another thought is to get some single-serving Rubbermaids and when you cook something for your family that would freeze and re-heat nicely, you could fill one up for her.  I did this for a neighbor who had surgery and was in rehab for a month.  When he came home, I was able to just pull the containers out of my freezer and put them in his.  It took almost no time, very little money, and he really appreciated some home cooking.

What he got from me included homemade mac & cheese, two soups, a veg chili, and a container of chicken and dumplings.  When I put them in his freezer, I put one in the fridge and saw that pretty much all he had was some drinks and leftover take-out pizza.  I suspect whatever you give to your neighbor will really be appreciated!

What a nice thing you are doing for your neighbor.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#6 of 11 Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 PM

You can also give her a "dump chicken" recipe ready to go in aluminum (if you dont' cook it, it will be fresher when she does, just give re-heating directions and make sure she knows it's not cooked yet!!). You can freeze rice on the side and green beans on the side, and you have a complete freezer friendly meal.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#7 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 12:32 AM

Potato soup freezes up nicely. I make it with a lot of homemade bone broth, and thicken with potato flakes instead of roux. DH will eat bowl after bowl of it, and whatever is left we freeze. Chili is good, too. You could also make some nice spaghetti sauce from scratch, freeze the sauce, and bring some noodles. They'd just have to throw the noodles in the pot, warm the sauce, and dinner is made.

Do they have any food restrictions/allergies/etc.?

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 11 Old 12-11-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

Do they have any food restrictions/allergies/etc.?

No allergies. The only restriction is no pork, for religious reasons.

#9 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Baked Ziti or a pot of spaghetti sauce might work, too!

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#10 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyGirl View Post

Baked Ziti or a pot of spaghetti sauce might work, too!

That's a great idea. I usually resort to baked ziti, since most people will eat that even if they're picky.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#11 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Banana Bread muffins with flax and seeds for protein. Yum! Easy to flash freeze and take out individually for breakfasts or snacks!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page