Beef by the half, my fall 2011 costs and breakdown - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see the beef by the half or quarter topic come up once in a while so I thought I would post about my November 2011 costs.

We buy a side of beef each year from a friend fo the family.  It is grass-fed and while not organic, the farmer strives to keep it close to natural as possible. 

My total cost this year was $1,108.44 which worked out to $2.86 per pound cut and wrapped in butcher paper.  Vac-wrap was a $0.40 per pound up charge.

Live weight was north of 550 pounds, I can't remember the exact weight and the side finished out at 387 pounds.  Processing was $276.94.

Ground beef typically accounts for 50% of a side of beef.  I like chuck roasts, which are usually made into ground beef.  Of the 387 pounds, 147 was ground beef and the remainder was roasts and steaks. 

I hope this info is helpful to anyone researching buying beef by the half or the quarter.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

That seems like a really good price - would you say that is higher or lower than average?

I buy commercial store beef, and consider anything less than $4/lb a good price, even on ground beef. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#3 of 5 Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a great price. It works out to under $4.00 a lb for us on a quarter side of beef, and $225 for half of a pig.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#4 of 5 Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

That seems like a really good price - would you say that is higher or lower than average?

I buy commercial store beef, and consider anything less than $4/lb a good price, even on ground beef. 

I live in farm country, many people raise beef cattle so I have no doubt the supply keeps the price down.   

I asked about cost at the processor.  The processor sells beef but doesn't have a retail store, people just know to call and place an order.  The processor buys from local farmers.  Their sides are $2.59 per pound for regular beef, not specifically grass-fed or organic. 

I would guess both of the prices are lower than average.  The beef I bought is from a farm that raises them as a gentleman's farming type of hobby.  They have a small herd (20 or so at a time) and sell only to people they know.    

The processor's price is likely below market average for a side.  Like I said, they don't have a retail store so their costs are low. 

Ground beef in our local stores is around $2.75 for the fattier mixes and up to $4 per pound for ground round.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 5 Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 AM

That's a great price. It's a tad more here with the local ranch but it's certified organic and vac-sealed packages. I'd totally do it but need a freezer first!!!

My place here though always sells organic ground beef for $3.75 a pound in individual packages. Not bad. It's 80/20 though but I am absolutely fine with that, not a fat-o-phobe, I'm more a carbophobe ;)

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page