Meringue Cookies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's your favorite meringue cookie recipe? I tried making some today, and I ended up with just a big mess! I'd love to try again!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 AM

I was just looking for a good macaron recipe. I've never tried to make them because they look a little fussy, but I bought some this weekend from a local pastry shop and we all enjoyed them so much that I thought it would be worth the effort. Anyway, last night I found this recipe from Martha Stewart, and it has good reviews, although they suggest watching the temperature and time to prevent burning.

If you just wanted to make the cookies without the filling and skip making the tiny sandwiches, they would probably be very tasty that way. 

I hope someone else can post a good tested-and-true recipe for you. 

#3 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 AM

Meringues are actually really simple, with just 2 or 3 ingredients.  It's the execution that can be tricky.  You might be better off telling us what kind of mess they were so we can help troubleshoot what went wrong. 

Macarons are actually a different thing altogether, since they contain "flour" (usually almond flour). 

If you take a look at this recipe, the eggs, sugar and cream of tartar are the base for the cookie, everything else is flavoring or garnish:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Meringue-Stars-240931

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

just watch what is in the extract if you use any!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Macarons are actually a different thing altogether, since they contain "flour" (usually almond flour). 

Yes, I guess I should have specified that a macaron is not a true meringue. But they are meringue-like (relying mostly on egg-whites) and I responded because of the coincidence - I had just bookmarked the recipe - and in case the OP was interested in something similar. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page