Help with GF sugar cookies!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to make gluten free sugar cookies in the morning but am having a hard time finding a recipe.  I am new to gluten free baking.  In my kitchen I have, brown and white rice flours, aramanth flour, sorghum flour, millet flour, buckwheat flour, arrowroot starch, and potato starch.

Every recipe I have I am missing an ingredient!!!!  I have no vehicle tomorrow to go pick up anything and tomorrow is my only day before Christmas that I can make them.  The most common thing I keep finding in recipes in tapioca starch.  Can I just use arrowroot?  Why is tapioca starch so popular?  It is the most common starch I am seeing in gf recipes.  I find recipes that ask for superfine rice flour, which I don't have.  And a recipe that asks for sweet rice flour, but I only have white rice flour.

Help please!  I am so tired of searching the internet for a recipe that I have all the ingredients for.  Can someone here give me one or tell me about the tapioca starch thing (what I can replace it with).

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 PM

I've used potato and tapioca interchangeably.

#3 of 3 Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 PM

Yes, you can use potato and tapioca interchangably.  You can also use cornstarch instead.

You can basically take any regular cookie recipe and swap out the flour for a 1:1:1 mixture of white rice flour/sorghum flour/starch (either potato, tapioca or cornstarch) and 1 tsp xanthum gum.

Millet flour, amaranth flour and buckwheat flour are better for breads/pancakes/waffles...not so good for cookies. 

Rice flour, sorghum flour, potato, arrowroot are all good for cookies.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page