help..my baby is anemic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

merry christmas to all.

my baby is anemic. he got a 7.7 on hem. test. i breastfeed but clearly am not passing enough iron to him. the doctor want he to give him an iron supplement starting today and i am having a hard time coming to grips with this. 1ml is 150% and i am to give him 1ml twice a day...300%. he will have a stomach ache and be constipated. i do not want him to be anemic ahhhh...i considered floridix but it has honey in it. has anyone else been through this or have other suggestions to up his iron in a month so we can just conquer this issue though food( in a month).

btw his prescription is liquid ironferrous sulfate 15mg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#3 of 21 Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honey is ok starting at 12 months.

#4 of 21 Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

i will give hoim floridix when he turns 12 month in march. thanks!

#5 of 21 Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM

We had to give DS the yucky rx stuff you have now until he was 12 months. But there are many liquid iron formulations on the market, check it out on iherb.com or other supplement websites. There are so many I don't know if there are some that have no preservatives and no honey. Btw, our son had a hemoglobin value of 5 at 10 months and at 13 months was within perfectly normal ranges. I now give him some floradix maybe once a week to support his iron levels, but we recently tested and he was at 14 I believe. If  your DS is eating solids, try to sneak in some organic ground beef, lentils and other rich iron foods!

#6 of 21 Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Well, you're not liable to conquer this in a month, but seeing an improvement would be a good start.  I'd work on upping your own iron levels through diet at the same time you're working on his.  Synthetic iron can be very constipating, which is distressing to both mom and baby. 

What types of foods is he eating?  I'd work on iron rich foods for the both of you.  And IIRC iron is absorbed better in the presence of Vit C, and calcium inhibits iron absorption, something to do some research on anyway. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 21 Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM

My son was anemic so I gave him an herbal iron tincture and it cleared him right up. The brand was called TincTract.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#8 of 21 Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

how anemic was he and how long did it take for him to get to a normal range?

#9 of 21 Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 PM

All babies are considered anemic by the medical community. What they do not understand is that babies and toddlers hide iron, so as to not invite in bacteria and viruses. Those things need iron to grow, and we are fortunate to have bodies that provide ways to keep from getting to sick at such tender ages.
The iron will come back out of hiding once the little one is past the most susceptible age.
There is lots of research out there proving this love.gif

Wanted to add, that when babies are fed iron fortified formula as well as supps, they will get constipated for a very good reason. They simply do not need that iron.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#10 of 21 Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

yes but would my baby be get a 7 on his blood test just cause it..the iron is hiding? what should i look up if i want more info? thanks for your reply.

#11 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

There is lots of research out there proving this love.gif

Any links to share?

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#12 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Any links to share?

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#13 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 PM

This was a while ago. I think it was about 8 or 9. The ped did a test at one check up and with doing the dose on the bottle, it was perfect by the next visit 3 months later.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#14 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

oh i just hate it when updates are not given so here is mine.

after 30 days on iron and me supplementing every meal with iron enriched foods..last week my baby's doctor was doubtful that he could be taken off so soon. heme was tested and his iron was ans is 12.8. above average and we are off the iron. hooray!!!!!thanks ladies for the support.

#15 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 05:22 AM

My baby was tested at the hospital on New Year's and also was slated as anemic.  7.9 I think I remember.

We were read the riot-act in at LEAST four languages for not giving him "traditional" formula.  Oh wait, that stuff that makes him SICK?  Yeah, that stuff.

What are some iron-rich things for us to do to up his counts naturally, as well as mine.  I am, unfortuantely, also anemic.

Mrs B

#16 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 AM

seems like this is an old thread but i just wanted to point out that there are several formulations of floradix and at least one does not have honey in it.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#17 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

well, floradix formula has a honey base as stated in the other post. this is what i found out when i did not want to give my little one iron supplements. floravital may not be in a honey base but it is unclear on some sites so i chose to not chance my baby getting sick. when he turns one i am going to give him floradix because i think it is awesome.

yes we went ahead and gave him supplements. i wanted to up his iron and though i did not want to give him supplements i wanted to make sure his blood was rich in iron for brain development. so i only gave him 1. milliliter  by mouth twice a day. i was suppose to give him 1.25 mililiters twicw a day. i gave him 6 ml of prune juice a day to avoid constipation(he acually liked the taste and it too is high in iron and there is organic prune juice!) and every meal....(he eats twice a day) i packed  in the iron. spinach,green beans,lentils. lentils are high in iron and spinach is high in iron and vitamin C which helps in iron absorption. we would ate meals like.spinach/barley/applesauce...brown rice/lentils/banana,brown rice/green beans/pear,broc/potato. we started on december 26 and his heme was 12.8 from 7.7 on january 25th. the doctor was surprised and was sure we'd have to be on the supplements for atleast another month. most babies on it for 3 months....... and now we are off the iron and no more stress.

now i just make sure he gets iron and when i feed him calcium..like yougurt i do not give it at the same time because it can hinder the iron absorption.

i believe the reason he was anemic is i did not pass enough iron to his reserves in utero and through my milk. i have always been slightly anemic. i take multivita.now but had a hard pregnancy. though some women are anemic and there children are fine. it just shows we are all different..thats the beauty of the world.

#18 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 PM

So glad your DS is doing well now!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

well, floradix formula has a honey base as stated in the other post. this is what i found out when i did not want to give my little one iron supplements. floravital may not be in a honey base but it is unclear on some sites so i chose to not chance my baby getting sick.

Floravital is not in a honey base, it's in a juice base. It's free from brewer's yeast, honey, and gluten. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone else who runs across this. We were vegan when I used it so I looked into this. smile.gif

Floravital ingredients: Aqueous extract from: african mallow blossoms, chamomile flowers, fennel, spinach, juice concentrates (grape, pear, black currant, cherry, blackberry, carrot), rosehip extract.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#19 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

#20 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.florahealth.com/about_usa.cfm

i guess this is it!

#21 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.salusuk.com/products/products.html

this site is it and bettr..it actually lists all the ingredients. cool!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page