If you make all your own bread... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

... what recipe do you use? I used to make only french-style bread to eat with soups and stuff, and occasional breads like pizza dough, and various kinds of biscuits when I need an extra side, but now I am trying to make sandwich/snack bread too. Last week I used http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/soft-oatmeal-bread.html with about 1/2 white-wheat flour and 1/2 white, which was quite good but needed some more salt (can I add extra salt without messing up the recipe?) It made 2 loaf-pan loaves and a small boule. I froze one of the loaf-sized ones after the first rise, and the day I wanted to bake it I set it in a buttered bowl on top of the fridge all day. I baked it in the evening and it was good, though not as poofy. Anyone have any other recipes/techniques/recipe reviews to share?

#2 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM

This is my kids- favorite- fool-proof -all -purpose -bread recipe:

10 cups of flour, can be up to 3 cups WW

3/4 cup butter or shortening (spectrum non-hydrogenated palm)

2 1/2 T salt

1/2 sugar (you can use a different sweetener or reduce it slightly, but this is what I have found is right for our taste)

4 T yeast

3 cups warm water

Though dough should be really soft and even slightly sticky. Adjust water or flour as needed. You can also add seeds and grains; I like to make a mixture of millet, sunflower, flax and sesame or poppy and sometimes oats, soaked in warm water for several minutes, then drained and added towards the end of kneading, when they can still get incorporated but not totally mush into oblivion.

Form into loaves for pans or shape into rolls. This will make about 15 large hamburger buns or 4 loaves. Being that the dough is so soft, it isn't really suitable for large free standing loaves. I usually oil the tops before going into the oven and then more oil or a milk wash when it comes out. HTH :)

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#3 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 PM

I like "Marilyn's Famous Whole Wheat Bread" from urbanhomemaker.com. http://articles.urbanhomemaker.com/index.php?article=83

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I loved to used Laurel's Kitchen Soy bread recipe when my daughter could eat wheat.  Soymilk has the most amazing effect on bread!  I even made it several times with homemade, unsweetened soy and--oh my!-- the bread was so supple and tall and springy--WOW!  Even better!  I made it with honey (the regular soymilk was sweetened and I never quite worked out the amount for the homemade soymilk).  It was pretty sweet, I'll admit, but not cloying like supermarket bread.  The flour in the bread was whole wheat, but I took to kneading the dough with organic bread flour (white) which, unfortunately, I could only get in 25# bags.

Yes, salt does affect the bread, but if you find a recipe lacking, you would be safe in doubling the salt.  You might see a slight slowing in the rise, but up to a point that's good.  Not enough salt doesn't give the yeasty beasties enough discipline :)

I didn't follow the recipe as far as kneading went.  Unlike most bread bakers I don't like kneading, which is why I use white flour for it and knead until I'm sick and tired and bored and that's that.  Everyone loved my bread, so who cares?  My friend introduced me to singing "Simple Gifts" while kneading and that helped.  It has a very strong downbeat, perfect for the occasion.  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Unlike most bread bakers I don't like kneading, which is why I use white flour for it and knead until I'm sick and tired and bored and that's that.  Everyone loved my bread, so who cares?  My friend introduced me to singing "Simple Gifts" while kneading and that helped.  It has a very strong downbeat, perfect for the occasion.  

I don't like kneading, either, I have never had enough upper body strength and yeah, it's boring too. I didn't really make yeast bread until I got a Kitchen Aid to do the kneading for me winky.gif

rainbow1284.gifJess, mama to five boys joy.gif

#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 AM

I use the urban homemaker recipe as well. I use all or nearly all whole wheat and I usually add pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Sometimes I put in a bit more honey and add cinnamon and raisins.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM

i use a whole wheat version of this recipe

http://tammysrecipes.com/homemade_wheat_bread

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I like the basic whole wheat bread in the Tassajara Bread Book. You mix up the liquid, yeast and half the flour into a sponge and let it rise for about 45 minutes before proceeding with the rest of the ingredients (salt, oil, the rest of the flour) and the kneading. I find it helps with texture and flavour, compared to the Laurel's Kitchen basic loaf. Laurel's book has better instructions for the new bread baker though, with tips on knowing how long to knead (the windowpane test) and how long to let it rise (the finger dent test). 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page