Healthy prenatal diet for smaller second? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, as I wrote the title it felt like an odd request but here is where I am.  My first, a perfect wonderful little boy, was huge as far as my frame was concerned.  He was 9lbs 12 oz, pretty much right on time, and did a real number on my body during birth.  I'm about 5'8" and normally around 135lbs but gained close to 50lbs during that pregnancy.  My husband is built like a lumber jack and all the babies in his family tend to be pretty large.  We are trying to conceive right now and  I am starting to think about the realities of having a potentially larger second child.  A good friend who had a similar experience told me her midwife put her on a dairy free (amongst other things) diet during her second and he was nearly 2 lbs less than her almost 10lb first.  I ate well and exercised throughout my pregnancy and feel that I was far from unhealthy but I do recall pigging out a time or six and I was definitely a cheese fiend so I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck changing their prenatal diet and having an even slightly smaller or just not bigger second child.   Any insights would be appreciated.

I'm not sure whether this should be in the pregnancy forum or here. 

Though I know I won't get any feedback like this on this forum I'm cringing thinking about what one older woman told me when I told her my son's birth weight. She said her first was close to ten pounds so when the doctor warned her that smoking can cause low birth weight she decided that she would smoke through her whole second pregnancy.  So, as I think about that lady I would like to stress that I'm talking about HEALTHY diet changes. 

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM

I honestly believe that if you are eating healthily, your body will grow the baby it's meant to grow. My second baby weighed two pounds less than my first, and I have no idea why -- I ate nearly exactly the same the whole time. She is just a genetically smaller person, I've found.

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#3 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Were you a gestational diabetic? That is very often the cause of large babies. If your friend wasn't screened, it would make sense that a change in diet could make a difference.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 9 Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM

My third was smaller than my first two.  My diet was pretty similar, but I walked every day for about an hour up in the hills.  I took a walk even on the day he was born. 

#5 of 9 Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Were you a gestational diabetic? That is very often the cause of large babies. If your friend wasn't screened, it would make sense that a change in diet could make a difference.

This.
Otherwise, I think you may just be destined to have big babies. I gained nearly twice as much weight with my first baby as with my second and third. They were all almost exactly the same - average - size.
What I would do is get screened for GD, eat healthfully and check out www.spinningbabies.com to help make sure that your baby - whatever his or her size - is in the optimal position for an easy birth.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#6 of 9 Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 AM

Ha! I've been wondering the same thing! I am also about your height and weight, and had a 9lb 8 oz baby, and also gained 50 lbs with my pregnancy.  I am a little terrified of having a bigger baby next time.  DS's birth was not an easy one, and the recovery was long.  I think that in my case I could have eaten a little better though...I was tested for and did not have gestational diabetes. 

I guess I am just hoping that nature knows what's best and will give me a baby that still fits :)

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#7 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm in the same boat, although not TTC yet. DS was 10lbs even and had good sugar levels on the multiple times they checked after he was born, and I didn't have GD. I ate pretty well (could have been better) and DS was positioned in LOA from about 24 weeks and during labor, but I still pushed for over 6 hours and had/still have some damage. I love my giant baby, but I wouldn't mind a smaller one next time!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#8 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM

I think you may just have big babies.  My first, a girl, was born at 37 weeks and 8 pounds even.  Second, a boy, was born at 42 weeks and was 9 14, and an easy delivery.  My third, a boy, I nursed through out my entire pregnancy was diagnosed with IUGR and was born at 42 weeks and 6 15, super tiny, especially for me.  My diet with the last 2 was a protein rich diet, and I feel like I ate about the same.  Weight gain with all 3 was the same within a couple pounds.,    

#9 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 AM

My first was 11lbs 2oz and my second was 10 lbs 12 oz. I did not have GD (screened for it both times) and I gained about 35 lbs with each pregnancy. As my OB said to me- "You are just destined to have big babies). My diet was about the same for both although probably healthier with the second.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page