If you goofed and bought "low-sugar" (i.e. sucralose) oatmeal for the kids - would you serve it to them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, that's what I did - I noticed the "low-sugar" version of instant oatmeal today at the store, and had a coupon, and bought it.  I gave the kids some this afternoon, taught them how to make it in the microwave for the first time and all (they're 7 and 5), as kind of a winter breakfast treat.  (I have always made them real oatmeal!)  Then I looked at the ingredients more carefully and saw it has sucralose (Splenda).  I don't know exactly how bad or not bad Splenda is, but I don't buy stuff with fake sugar and wouldn't buy it for the kids.   Anyway....... it's one of those biiig boxes from BJ's Wholesale.....   should I just serve it to them anyway?  Am I overly worried about it?  Or should I just have DH and me eat it, and buy the kids some nice organic brand of instant oatmeal?  

#2 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Nope. I'd toss it or make it up and toss it over the deck rail for the birds. I can't stand the taste of Sucralose, myself, and I don't want my son to have to eat it. Plus, I don't think artifical sweeteners are good for you.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, I wouldn't throw it away. I'm not sure if a soup kitchen or a food bank would accept an open box, but you could try. DS works with some community groups that feed the homeless, and they would take something like that off your hands. Even if you won't eat artificial sweeteners, there are many who would. 

#4 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

if they are packets- some food pantries in my area would take it- I would try

I would never eat it or give it to a child- I think artificial sweeteners are very dangerous! 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys!  They are packets.  I certainly don't want them to go to waste.  I didn't much like the cloying taste of it either.   I think I'll check with the local foodpantry.

#6 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 AM

My kids have had artificial sweetners though I don't give it to them a lot or on purpose.  I probably not keep giving them that whole box.  I would also donate it or frankly you might consider if the store would take it back.  I have no idea if that's possible.  Maybe you could call the company and see if they would give you some coupons for some of their "regular" stuff.

I find it very frustrating and a little un-ethical to sell things as Low Sugar when it's just fake sugar.  That seems deceptive to me.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#7 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

a senior citizen center might also take them since you opened the box if the food places won't

for a diabetic it might be of use

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Why don't you take it back to the store, explain what happened, and exchange it for the regular sugar stuff? I wouldn't eat it and I certainly wouldn't feed it to my children.  Most stores will take it back and let you exchange.  Another idea would be to contact the company, explain the situation, ask for a freebie coupon (they're very good at giving these out) and throw it away.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#9 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM

I would donate it to a food pantry. The example of the diabetics was perfect.  I don't eat artificial sweeteners and don't feed them to my kids, but there is someone out there that would be thrilled.  I would never throw it out. There are too many people that are no longer blessed with the opportunity of choice when it comes to food.

#10 of 11 Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i'd def re home it!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#11 of 11 Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

My kids have had artificial sweetners though I don't give it to them a lot or on purpose.  I probably not keep giving them that whole box.  I would also donate it or frankly you might consider if the store would take it back.  I have no idea if that's possible.  Maybe you could call the company and see if they would give you some coupons for some of their "regular" stuff.

I find it very frustrating and a little un-ethical to sell things as Low Sugar when it's just fake sugar.  That seems deceptive to me.

Well, it does have sugar in it  - the box says "25% less sugar" than the regular stuff. But it's supplemented with the sucralose.  That's how I was tricked - I looked at the ingredients, saw that there was real sugar in it, and didn't really read the rest of the ingredients carefully.   Still, it's a little tricky of them to put it that way.  I just wanted a less-sweet version of the regular over-sweetened instant oatmeal!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page