If you goofed and bought "low-sugar" (i.e. sucralose) oatmeal for the kids - would you serve it to them? - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > If you goofed and bought "low-sugar" (i.e. sucralose) oatmeal for the kids - would you serve it to them?
reezley's Avatar reezley 03:15 PM 01-06-2012

So, that's what I did - I noticed the "low-sugar" version of instant oatmeal today at the store, and had a coupon, and bought it.  I gave the kids some this afternoon, taught them how to make it in the microwave for the first time and all (they're 7 and 5), as kind of a winter breakfast treat.  (I have always made them real oatmeal!)  Then I looked at the ingredients more carefully and saw it has sucralose (Splenda).  I don't know exactly how bad or not bad Splenda is, but I don't buy stuff with fake sugar and wouldn't buy it for the kids.   Anyway....... it's one of those biiig boxes from BJ's Wholesale.....   should I just serve it to them anyway?  Am I overly worried about it?  Or should I just have DH and me eat it, and buy the kids some nice organic brand of instant oatmeal?  

ASusan's Avatar ASusan 03:55 PM 01-06-2012

Nope. I'd toss it or make it up and toss it over the deck rail for the birds. I can't stand the taste of Sucralose, myself, and I don't want my son to have to eat it. Plus, I don't think artifical sweeteners are good for you.

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 08:37 PM 01-06-2012

Well, I wouldn't throw it away. I'm not sure if a soup kitchen or a food bank would accept an open box, but you could try. DS works with some community groups that feed the homeless, and they would take something like that off your hands. Even if you won't eat artificial sweeteners, there are many who would. 

serenbat's Avatar serenbat 07:15 AM 01-07-2012

if they are packets- some food pantries in my area would take it- I would try

I would never eat it or give it to a child- I think artificial sweeteners are very dangerous! 

reezley's Avatar reezley 07:51 AM 01-07-2012

Thanks you guys!  They are packets.  I certainly don't want them to go to waste.  I didn't much like the cloying taste of it either.   I think I'll check with the local foodpantry.

Youngfrankenstein's Avatar Youngfrankenstein 07:52 AM 01-07-2012

My kids have had artificial sweetners though I don't give it to them a lot or on purpose.  I probably not keep giving them that whole box.  I would also donate it or frankly you might consider if the store would take it back.  I have no idea if that's possible.  Maybe you could call the company and see if they would give you some coupons for some of their "regular" stuff.

I find it very frustrating and a little un-ethical to sell things as Low Sugar when it's just fake sugar.  That seems deceptive to me.

serenbat's Avatar serenbat 08:07 AM 01-07-2012

a senior citizen center might also take them since you opened the box if the food places won't

for a diabetic it might be of use

treemom2's Avatar treemom2 12:41 PM 01-07-2012

Why don't you take it back to the store, explain what happened, and exchange it for the regular sugar stuff? I wouldn't eat it and I certainly wouldn't feed it to my children.  Most stores will take it back and let you exchange.  Another idea would be to contact the company, explain the situation, ask for a freebie coupon (they're very good at giving these out) and throw it away.

34me's Avatar 34me 08:41 PM 01-07-2012

I would donate it to a food pantry. The example of the diabetics was perfect.  I don't eat artificial sweeteners and don't feed them to my kids, but there is someone out there that would be thrilled.  I would never throw it out. There are too many people that are no longer blessed with the opportunity of choice when it comes to food.

lookatreestar's Avatar lookatreestar 09:16 PM 01-07-2012

i'd def re home it!

reezley's Avatar reezley 06:31 AM 01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

My kids have had artificial sweetners though I don't give it to them a lot or on purpose.  I probably not keep giving them that whole box.  I would also donate it or frankly you might consider if the store would take it back.  I have no idea if that's possible.  Maybe you could call the company and see if they would give you some coupons for some of their "regular" stuff.

I find it very frustrating and a little un-ethical to sell things as Low Sugar when it's just fake sugar.  That seems deceptive to me.

Well, it does have sugar in it  - the box says "25% less sugar" than the regular stuff. But it's supplemented with the sucralose.  That's how I was tricked - I looked at the ingredients, saw that there was real sugar in it, and didn't really read the rest of the ingredients carefully.   Still, it's a little tricky of them to put it that way.  I just wanted a less-sweet version of the regular over-sweetened instant oatmeal!

Tags: Nutrition Good Eating
Up