Coconut Oil? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've heard how healthy coconut oil can be, so I picked some Organic coconut oil up last night.

Now, what should I do with it?  Just use it to replace olive oil or canola oil when cooking?  Does it have a strong flavor? 

What do you all do with your coconut oil, if you use it?

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#2 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM

You can use it for baking in place of any other oil or fat. In the frying pan for pancakes or eggs. Spread on toast in place of butter.

For body care--as skin lotion, hair oil, for washing your face, even as a chemical-free lube.

ETA: it does have a slight coconut flavor, but you can get a kind that is flavorless (refined or unrefined--one has more coconut flavor than the other.)
#3 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Coconut oil is stable at high heat, so it can be used in places where less stable fats (like olive oil) shouldn't be used.  Deep frying, pan frying, stir frying, sauteeing.  It's also solid at "room temperature", so can be used in place of shortening or butter in recipes like biscuits or cakes. 

Honestly, other than something like salad dressing, coconut oil can replace just about every other oil in your kitchen, whether you're cooking with it, baking with it or even just seasoning your pans with it. 

Unrefined CO does have a bit of a coconutty flavor to it, but in most brands it's very mild, and I've never been able to notice it even if I'm just cooking eggs.  If you object to it, you can get refined CO, which has no flavor. 

I mix it with lard for deep frying (it's too expensive to use on it's own for deep frying), drop a big spoonful into a pot of oatmeal instead of butter, cook pancakes with it, etc.  I keep olive oil on hand just for salad dressings and cold applications, butter for those things I want to taste butter, and use CO for just about everything else. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 PM

I use CO to saute and pan fry. I think chicken is good in CO, also in pilaf, rice, couscous etc.

I also use it as diaper cream for the baby. 

huskermommy likes this.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#5 of 5 Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 PM

I have used two brands of coconut oil in baking--nutiva and trader joe's. I don't like it, the flavor is too strong. I have had it in chocolate cake. Man, that was really good. I ate way too much of it.

I used to put coconut milk in my kids' morning smoothies, but because canned milk has BPA, I decided to use coconut oil from a jar instead. Because it will solidify, and lump, in a smoothie, I start by blending a fresh banana, a spoon of coconut oil, and some almond milk. Once that's smooth I add the rest of the ingredients and there aren't any lumps.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page