help with nuts, dehydrator vs oven - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want to really start soaking and low temp baking nuts. The thing is that (according to Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon) you bake for 12-24 hours. I can't even imagine how much that would cost in electricity. I have looked into dehydrators. There is a Nesco American Harvest 400 watt food dehydrator at Amazon for $34. Would nuts do well in a (cheap) dehydrator?

Anyone have any advice or thoughts or experiences? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've used cheap dehydrators.  I would never do it again.  Especially for something like nuts that can burn.  If getting a good quality dehydrator is out of the budget, I'd stick with the oven on it's lowest setting.  You have far more control that way. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 4 Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I wouldn't get a plastic dehydrator. Who knows what kind of chemicals are leaching into your food with the combination of heat and plastic. I won't even do BPA free plastic. Who knows what chemical leaching they'll discover there someday.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dehydrators use very little electricity as compared to an oven.  My favorite dehydrator is the Excalibur, but when I first started eating healthier, I just used a cheap dehydrator that I picked up at a yard sale.  It got the job done, but the heat was not as even because it did not have a fan to circulate the warm air.  But it still worked.  I would recommend a dehydrator with a fan if possible and an adjustable temperature control. 

My favorite thing to do with dehydrated nuts and seeds is to coat them with seasonings and herbs after you soak them.  I made one batch the other day that was wonderful.  I drained the soaked nuts (about 2-3 cups) and mixed together 3 Tbsp. tamari, 1 Tbsp onion powder, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. cayenne, and 2 Tbsp. minced chives.  Coat the nuts and dehydrate.  Yum! 

-Becky

www.getpurevitality.com

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page