White Whole Wheat Flour? - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > White Whole Wheat Flour?
SollysMom's Avatar SollysMom 10:17 AM 01-24-2012

I've never tried White Whole Wheat flour before, but I was comparing the nutrition info/ingredients list with regular WW flour today at the store and they were identical.  I still went with regular whole wheat because I assume the white WW must be processed more?  What's the general concensus on white whole wheat flour?  TIA for any replies :-)

TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 10:38 AM 01-24-2012

From what I understand, white whole wheat flour is simply made from a different type of wheat grain.  I thought I had originally heard that the grain originated in Australia, but I don't find that information now.

Here is a simple explanation:

http://bakingbites.com/2010/10/what-is-white-whole-wheat-flour/

Quote:

White whole wheat flour is made from a naturally occurring albino variety of wheat, so it has a whitish outer bran (hence the name, white whole wheat) to it where regular wheat has a darker brown or reddish bran. This bran usually contains tannins and phenolic acid, which are what give whole wheat flour the slightly bitter taste that is often associated it, but white whole wheat contains none. As a result, it has a mild, sweet and slightly nutty flavor without a trace of bitterness and is much more similar in flavor and color to all purpose flour than to traditional whole wheat flour.

White whole wheat still has all the same nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour because it is made in exactly the same way, and so it has more fiber, vitamins and minerals than most all purpose flours to. It can be used in any recipe that calls for whole wheat flour and, because it has a lighter flavor, will generally give you an even tastier result than whole wheat will.

mommy212's Avatar mommy212 03:39 PM 01-24-2012

It's a different kind of wheat. It tastes much better and is lighter and 'cleaner' tasting.The nutrition is the same and I use ti all the time.

SollysMom's Avatar SollysMom 03:50 PM 01-24-2012

Thanks for the replies, this is great to know!  My husband tends to make a yucky face when I make stuff with whole wheat flour, so I'll have to try the white whole wheat (and maybe not even tell him LOL).  Can white whole wheat be used in place of AP flour in baking or is the difference noticeable?

TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 04:52 PM 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollysMom View Post

Thanks for the replies, this is great to know!  My husband tends to make a yucky face when I make stuff with whole wheat flour, so I'll have to try the white whole wheat (and maybe not even tell him LOL).  Can white whole wheat be used in place of AP flour in baking or is the difference noticeable?

I've used in in baking, no problem.  The only thing that I really don't like it in is German Pancakes (Dutch Babies to some people).  It doesn't seem to puff as well.  I dont' bake a lot, though, so if someone else disagrees with me go with their opinion!

Ally Nathaniel's Avatar Ally Nathaniel 11:46 AM 01-25-2012

It's true. It is a different kind of wheat. (Winter red wheat  for regular ww flour and white wheat for www).

I use www for a few years now. it is *lighter* than the regular ww flour, and taste better.

I use it for pancakes, bread, pizza and even cakes to replace some of the regular white flour in the recipe.

I

laura-belle's Avatar laura-belle 07:41 PM 02-02-2012

If you look on the King Arthur Flour website, they indicate that it is milled from hard white spring wheat. I use it as my basic flour; it goes in everything. On some pastryish recipes (biscuits, pie crust, pancakes) I need to use a tiny bit less than the recipe calls for (0.5-1 Tbs/cup). My husband now thinks that things made with regular white flour taste "weird". ;)

iowaorganic's Avatar iowaorganic 10:19 AM 02-08-2012

There are also 2 kinds of White.  Soft and Hard.  I mostly use spelt now- but when I bake something fussy I use Soft White Whole Wheat.  It is barely noticeable.  Works very very well.  When I get the notion to bake bread with wheat I use Hard White.  I don't even use Hard Red anymore.  Most of the time for pancakes/busicuits/bread I use Whole Vita-Spelt.  Just tastes better to us...

It is kind of tricky to figure out what is what.  Wheat Montana had Prairie Gold and that is Hard White.  Their Pastry WW flour is soft white.  I actually order my flours from UNFI and they don't carry wheat montana.  You will probably just have to google the brand you are buying and do a little leg work if you want to try others and know what exactly you are trying.  

Tags: Nutrition Good Eating
Up