Preparing an Emergency Food Kit with dietary restrictions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am trying to figure out how to have an emergency food supply that meets our dietary restrictions: vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, cane sugar free, and low or no tomatoes. In a true emergency my husband, son and I could eat anything, including (gag) meat. But my little one...who knows what meat is contaminated with. 40% of chicken is injected with broth that contains gluten. Anyone have any ideas on how to have a tub of emergency food? I found this article, but her only restriction is gluten. She doesn't know how easy she has it. http://www.celiac.com/articles/21603/1/How-to-Prepare-a-Gluten-Free-Disaster-Emergency-Kit/Page1.html

Does anyone have any ideas for an emergency food kit?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 51 Old 01-28-2012, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

You should be rotating your emergency food stash on about an annual basis to make sure everything stays current, so maybe think about canned goods and pantry items that you currently utilize that could be just put into a plastic tote and set aside?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 51 Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

You should be rotating your emergency food stash on about an annual basis to make sure everything stays current, so maybe think about canned goods and pantry items that you currently utilize that could be just put into a plastic tote and set aside?

Thanks for the thought.

I also posted this in the vegetarian section. Folks have said essentially what you have.

I don't use canned items so if I bought stuff, it would all get donated to the food bank at the end of the year and I'd rather not have that annual expenditure if I could avoid it. 

I'm thinking those dinners in foil, but again they don't have a long shelf life. I want a plastic barrel of food that lasts 20 years, but I fear they don't make the right kind.

Most likely I'll have to suck it up and have foods that I have to recycle every year.

Thanks again.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Beans, rice, quinoa, oatmeal?, corn meal, split peas, canned and dried veggies, powdered eggs (if you eat eggs), coconut oil, multi-vitamins (or at least vitamin c), spices.  Not the yummiest diet, but it'll keep you alive and relatively healthy.  

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#5 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 AM

I actually use my pantry as "emergency food supply".  If something were to happen, we could live off what is in the pantry for a month.  I make sure I have all the basics covered, and replace what I use every week.  I keep beans, rice, oats, cornmeal, lentils, quinoa, buckwheat, nuts, GF pasta, aseptic pkgs or glass jars of tomato products, dried fruits, some various veggies (artichoke hearts, marinated mushrooms, olives, green chiles, pickles, etc.) - not the most rounded or balanced of diet, but it's enough to keep us healthy for a month.  I also have considerable amounts of salt, vinegar and sugar on hand at all times, in case I need to do some emergency preserving. 

I have my canning closet, which has jams, tomatoes, juice, pickles.  Again, enough to keep deficiency diseases like scurvy at bay over the long term. 

I also consider my freezer to be emergency food storage.  If we lose electricity for what is liable to be a while, the first thing I have to do is empty the freezer.  Fruits, veggies, meats, pastas, it either has to be preserved, eaten or given away. 

And then I have a couple cases of bottled water.  I used to buy the big things of it (3 gallon jugs), but then we'd never use it, they'd invariably wind up damaged and leaking and then I'd have a mess.  While I don't like the waste of the cases, the fact is I can actually use them to keep them rotated.  When we have a party, or a friend is planning a party, we use our "emergency" water, and I buy a new case or two.  Replace it every year or every other year, and it's just fine. 

Oh, and I also pretty much always keep onions, garlic and winter squash on hand.  Maybe not the most creative, but they keep and again, it'll help round out a diet. 

The one thing you have to keep in mind though is that if you lose electricity and what you have on hand is beans and rice, how are you going to cook it?  We have a gas stove, which is great if the only thing we lose is electrical.  But in case of earthquake, chances are we'd lose gas and water also.  So at that point a solar oven is my plan.  I don't have one at the moment, because they are pricey, but you can make one with a couple cardboard boxes and some aluminum foil in a pinch.  Or a grill can do it, we have a smoker that could do it.  Or even a camp stove.  None of it is ideal, but if it lets you cook up a big pot of beans and rice to eat for a couple days, it'll keep you alive. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

The one thing you have to keep in mind though is that if you lose electricity and what you have on hand is beans and rice, how are you going to cook it?  We have a gas stove, which is great if the only thing we lose is electrical.  But in case of earthquake, chances are we'd lose gas and water also.  So at that point a solar oven is my plan.  I don't have one at the moment, because they are pricey, but you can make one with a couple cardboard boxes and some aluminum foil in a pinch.  Or a grill can do it, we have a smoker that could do it.  Or even a camp stove.  None of it is ideal, but if it lets you cook up a big pot of beans and rice to eat for a couple days, it'll keep you alive. 

This is really important to consider - keep a couple of bottles of fuel for a camp stove or an extra bag of charcoal for the grill on hand. Sterno is good to have in a serious emergency box - you can't do a lot of proper cooking with it, but you can at least get canned goods warmed up with the stuff. 

I also think every kit should have vitamins and water purification tablets in it as well. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for so many good ideas.

I've just spent a lot of effort to purge my house of canned goods because of BPA. I'm trying to figure out how to do an emergency kit without cans, but I don't know that I can. I looked at the pouches of curries online and the one company I looked at had sugar in all of them. Since they probably can't guarantee it's beet sugar (she's allergic to cane sugar) I probably will have to look elsewhere.

We live in an area that doesn't have natural disasters, but you never know when something can happen. I want something portable and ready in case we need to evacuate. Again, unlikely, but it seems like a good idea.

I'm thinking of getting a foot locker. If I can get by without foods that HAVE to be cooked, I'd prefer that.

I hadn't thought about stuff with Vitamin C. She's borderline with tomatoes (we think) so I do not want them in an emergency kit. The last thing we need in a disaster is for her to get diarrhea. It would put her at such high risk for other gi stuff.

So far the things I've thought about adding are

almond butter

coconut oil

maybe mung beans (I think they're yummy when freshly sprouted.)

freeze dried fruit

nuts

seaweed snack

Crunchmaster mulit seed crackers (original.)

Does anyone know if dried veggies exist?

#8 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

could you add in MORE nut butters?

think of non- freeze dried fruits - cranberries, dates, raisins, currants, etc (keep a supply and use and re-supply) ALSO - dried peels (oranges, lemons, limes- you can also "candied" them - some like grapefruit)

I would also keep a good dark chocolate on hand

MORE seeds for sprouting - we eat a lot of alfalfa 

I would look into freeze dried eggs to keep on hand

I dry my own veggies (for dips) but you can buy or make your own 

do you do fish? many are dried or can be dried

for yourself and your DH (beef jerky) in a pinch - know you are not really into meat but you don't need to warm it!

seeds? pumpkin, chia, etc

do it yourself or buy already canned sauerfraut, beets, peppers, olives, preserved lemons (source of C)- make your own jam/preserves - I would do orange and lemon curds for the high C and you can add the sugar of your choice for her  - canned juices (make your own)----using canning jars not cans and PBA - you can find some companies that do not have it in their lids, otherwise Ball is very small amount considering the alternative 

just a few thoughts

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#9 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. 

Yeah, I'm just getting started on what I can add. I'm thinking a couple boxes of lara bars. Also they sell rice dream in 8 ounce containers. I can include some for calcium and b12 and not have to worry about spoilage or refrigeration.

One of my guiding goals as I develop this is to have it set up that my kids can feed themselves if there were no adults available. So relatively simple packaging and no preparation. I figure I can put a small amount of mung beans in a small ziplock bag. Then you add a pre-measured amount of water to the bag, seal it, then let it sit. My daughter couldn't do that, but my son could.

I'm going to look at the pouch foods at the store and see what they have that my daughter can eat. I know there's a chickpea entree at Trader Joe's.

I will also calculate how many calories each person requires per day and try and pack based on that.

The bottom line will be to have a month's worth of food for my daughter. Then as much for the rest of us that I can fit into reasonably sized containers. The rest of us can eat anything, even meat, if we HAVE to. My daughter would get diarrhea from the wrong foods and that would be a HUGE problem in a disaster.

#10 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM

You should pack some electrolyte added water, like Pedialite, as well as anti-diarreahal medication in your kits, just in case your daughter (or anyone else) should need it. 

#11 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM

How about the cartons of soup at TJ's? I know many of them would meet your criteria, plus they would be hydrating and all. And easy to open.

You can get dehydrated veggies but I'm not sure how long they last. They are with the snack foods/chips/nuts. You can also get dried mushrooms but they need to be cooked otherwise they'll make you sick.

I have had tofu jerky before (like beef jerky) -- it's not readily available around here but you could order it online. That would store well I think. Also maybe the little packs of allergen-free cookies? Not healthy but at least it's carbs.

I do think cans should be a part of the kit though, because they can withstand a lot and take up less space and you can eat right out of the can, no cooking/soaking/etc. I don't generally eat food out of cans but if it were me (and I do need to work on a kit myself!), I'd get cans of things like beans, soups, coconut milk, maybe even fruits & veggies. I'd keep them for a few years and then replace them only when they're well past the expiration date. I wouldn't worry about BPA in the case of a natural disaster because you'd have much bigger obstacles...

I have been through a very very minor natural disaster where we couldn't leave home for two days and had no power for a week. We couldn't cook anything (all electric appliances) and didn't have hot water and were sooo hungry. Just knowing we couldn't cook made us doubly hungry I think! We ate things we normally wouldn't eat or would usually reserve for occasional treats -- tortilla chips with canned beans and a jar of salsa, for ex. Mung bean noodles soaked in water were good too. We tried not to open our fridge/freezer (thinking power would return shortly so we wanted everything to keep) and by the time we realized the power wasn't coming on in time, most of our food was spoiled. We couldn't get ice -- everywhere was sold out. We fortunately had cold tap water but many of our friends didn't. So water, staying warm, & super-convenient foods were our priorities. I can't say I had a single thought about calories, nutrients, balanced meals -- those are things I usually think about constantly but all I wanted then was food, mainly carbs & protein. I certainly wasn't worried about BPA or anything -- and this was just a very minor situation, I'd imagine in a more desperate situation I would literally eat ANYTHING.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#12 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

You should pack some electrolyte added water, like Pedialite, as well as anti-diarreahal medication in your kits, just in case your daughter (or anyone else) should need it. 

This is a really, really good idea. I'm going to track down some Pedialyte powder to add to my first aid kit. (Right now I have a couple of packs of the jelly belly sport beans).

#13 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I agree that BPA is the least of my worries in that situation. It's just so hard to swallow when the sun is shining and all is well.

I'm guessing most of the Trader Joe's soups are NOT going to work for us. TJ's puts cane sugar in EVERYTHING. I just checked the pedialyte website. The packets have caramel coloring which is usually gluten. The products I checked have dextrose. I'd have to check the source of the dextrose to see if it's cane sugar.

I looked at all the Indian food pouches at Trader Joe's today. They all had either tomato or dairy. My 3 year old was with me so I couldn't look more.

Here's some info from the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/preparedness/cdc_english/foodwater-3.asp

Here's also a thread that someone started. http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1227243/supplies-for-the-inevitable-zombie-apocolypse

#14 of 51 Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

The Red Cross website states to avoid "Fatty, high-protein or salty foods when your water supply is low."

We live in the desert. Guess I should pack more than lara bars and salted nuts.

#15 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 AM

According to celiac.com, Pedialyte is gluten-free. Not sure about cane sugar. I have never heard of someone allergic to cane sugar so excuse my ignorance but I would assume most sugar is cane sugar? Unless it specifically says beet sugar or honey or something? (How on earth do you avoid cane sugar?!)

Here's a place that makes packs of veggies with only the veggie & salt: http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHV (I don't think their packaged meals will work for you, lots of added ingredients)... there are probably other companies out there and you can just order whatever you can get from each company and eventually you'll have a whole lot of food!

Also, you could cook & preserve your own foods... probably the best way for long-term storage is canning jars, and I know glass isn't ideal, but it could at least be a supplement to whatever else you can find and you can control the ingredients. Just be careful if you do this because altering recipes can lead to improper preservation so unless you're experienced with canning, make sure to find recipes that will already be allergen-free.

Here's some info on nitro-packing http://www.freezedriedsurvivalfood.com/3133/long-term-food-storage-techniques-and-container-types/ and you might look into other preservation techniques.

Given all your DD's restrictions, I don't think you are going to be able to come up with a complete & balanced kit just shopping at TJ's, you are going to need to preserve some of it yourself or special-order stuff or at least go through all the canned goods at a regular large grocery store and compromise a bit on things. Obviously you don't want to compromise in a way that will make DD sick but figure out if she'd tolerate small amounts of allergens or compromise on all-natural or veg*n or whatever. Chances are you will never need to eat this food anyway, you know? But I promise if you DO need it, you'll be glad you gave yourself as many options as possible, even if they're far from perfect.

And all this reminds me that I really need to make up a proper emergency kit myself!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#16 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 AM

Frontier herbs sells a variety of dried veggies.  They also have black bean flakes (without other additions) and falafel powder (which you could use with tahini to make instant hummus and doesn't look like it has added sugar or tomato ingredients -- but you might need to check elsewhere too I don't find ingredient lists on their site).  

#17 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Quote:
 I have never heard of someone allergic to cane sugar so excuse my ignorance but I would assume most sugar is cane sugar? 

US consumption is about 50-50

the chemical properties are relatively the same but they process differently in the body

OP - do you have dry cereals in your storage- that could be eaten by her with/without a "milk"?

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#18 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

(How on earth do you avoid cane sugar?!)

Welcome to my world. You do it by making all your own food. We only eat at one restaurant and try and stick with one waitress. 

I was surprised to learn that cane sugar is actually a common allergen.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will follow up on them.

There are TWO, yes count them, TWO cereals (beyond puffed grains that my kids don't like) that are gluten AND cane sugar free.

When I first met one of my friends, I was horrified to discover they were gluten and dairy free. What did she serve her family? They eat meat so that expanded their options. But still..,

HA!!! Gluten free, dairy free vegetarian is simple. Everyone has a choice for that. But cane sugar is nuts. It is in everything. So if you go to a restaurant, you and the chef read through all the ingredients on the pastes and everything else that goes into the food. Then put avoiding tomatoes on top of it. And if you want to eat a commercially made product with "sugar" you email the company to see if they can verify whether it is cane or beet sugar and they will always email back that it depends on what the distributor was selling that day, so no guarantees.

I don't expect to stock my kit with only Trader Joe's food. I can't. They put cane sugar in almost everything. Except for one variety of chocolate bars. They sell dark (and milk, but we don't eat that) chocolate bars made with beet sugar. Says it right on the box. And TJ is non-gmo. I can't tell you how excited I was to discover that. So if I have a recipe that calls for chocolate chips I can make my own. Of course, at $2 for 3 ounces it gets expensive really quickly.

#19 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

I have emailed the Red Cross for suggestions and guidance. I will share what I learn.

#20 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM

Good luck with the Red Cross!! For a long time I was vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, corn-free, plus had to avoid certain fruits and nuts. Corn is in everything. So is soy, for that matter. It was incredibly hard to stick to that diet. Now, I'm not even vegan anymore (after 8 years, plus 9 more before that lacto-veg, 17 years total veg*n!) and boy is it easier to eat now... I would never tell you to give up vegetarianism and it sounds like you're doing fine with your DD even with all the restrictions (aside from emergency preparations, that is!), but I will say after less than a month of eating just a little meat & eggs, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to vegan with all the other allergies/intolerances I have... I think I made things way more complicated for me & my family than I needed to, and we're all benefiting from a little dietary freedom (still restricted, but you get what I mean!)

Please don't take this as me trying to persuade you not to limit your diet however you want/need to. I just wanted to commiserate with the dietary restrictions issue. smile.gif I hope the Red Cross can help you but I have a feeling they are going to be just as stumped as you!

#21 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You could try Costco online. 

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC39718-Cat75277&pos=0&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=90741&eCat=BC|3605|75277|90741&lang=en-US

I'm pretty sure if something serious were to happen and food options were limited concerns about a diet would pretty much be trivial.

#22 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Oh and they have a 20 yr shelf life!  Even better!

#23 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I'm pretty sure if something serious were to happen and food options were limited concerns about a diet would pretty much be trivial.

Children DIE from diarrhea during emergency situations. So giving my 3 year old daughter foods that irritate her intestines and make her have nasty diarrhea four times a day and put her at greater risk of dehydration and getting diarrhea caused by microbes from evacuation conditions could be FATAL.

I have a friend whose children have intestinal bleeding when they eat gluten. A woman I know with celiacs goes to bed with horrible cramps if she accidentally gets meat that is not organic because of the additives put in commercial meat. Others folks with sensitivities go into anaphylaxic shock and DIE when they eat the wrong foods. 

Concerns about diet are NOT TRIVIAL. THEY CAN BE DEADLY.

I do appreciate your time in giving me the costco link. Although the fruits and veggies would be safe, we don't need $100 of dried produce, we need dense calories with a bit of fruits and veggies thrown in if there is space in a transportable kit. The soups and sprouting seeds don't work because I want foods my 3 and 6 year olds can feed themselves should there be no surviving adults.

#24 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM

For how long?  How long are these kids supposed to survive on their diet without surviving adults?  And yes people can get very sick in those situations you're right.  However on the off chance my a$$ survives a disaster... I'm not going to worry about a diet.  I'm going to worry about how the hell I"m going to survive at all.  Holy ridiculous, you're hoping for a perfect situation in a disaster.  Say you do get all the foods you need stored and a disaster hits and somehow all the food you stored is destroyed too.  Then what?  And I'm being serious here.  There is no such thing as a perfect disaster.  I've had my disaster preparedness training.  Have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Children DIE from diarrhea during emergency situations. So giving my 3 year old daughter foods that irritate her intestines and make her have nasty diarrhea four times a day and put her at greater risk of dehydration and getting diarrhea caused by microbes from evacuation conditions could be FATAL.

I have a friend whose children have intestinal bleeding when they eat gluten. A woman I know with celiacs goes to bed with horrible cramps if she accidentally gets meat that is not organic because of the additives put in commercial meat. Others folks with sensitivities go into anaphylaxic shock and DIE when they eat the wrong foods. 

Concerns about diet are NOT TRIVIAL. THEY CAN BE DEADLY.

I do appreciate your time in giving me the costco link. Although the fruits and veggies would be safe, we don't need $100 of dried produce, we need dense calories with a bit of fruits and veggies thrown in if there is space in a transportable kit. The soups and sprouting seeds don't work because I want foods my 3 and 6 year olds can feed themselves should there be no surviving adults.

#25 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM

Do you do soy? What about those tetra packs of tofu? I would try to get some kind of tofu or meat (if you're willing to do meat in a true emergency), whatever you think your DD would tolerate best. I guess I'm not sure what else you are looking for at this point. If you include:

-packed tofu and/or tofu jerky (or some kind of meat)
-canned beans
-canned and/or dehydrated veggies
-dried fruit, containers of applesauce, etc.
-nuts & seeds (unsalted if you're worried about that)
-an assortment of GF chips, cookies, and crackers
-whatever soups your DD can eat (whether in a box or a can or instant soup)
-grains like rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, and GF pastas
-jars of pickled veggies
-GF sugar-free cereal; GF oats if she tolerates them
-rice or soy milk boxes, cans of coconut milk
-lara bars, chocolate, whatever sweets you usually have for treats
-homemade stuff you can yourself

That seems like a good assortment and lots of calories and all and most of it is easy for kids to deal with and little of it requires hot water or heating.

#26 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Do you do soy? What about those tetra packs of tofu? I would try to get some kind of tofu or meat (if you're willing to do meat in a true emergency), whatever you think your DD would tolerate best. I guess I'm not sure what else you are looking for at this point. If you include:
-packed tofu and/or tofu jerky (or some kind of meat)
-canned beans
-canned and/or dehydrated veggies
-dried fruit, containers of applesauce, etc.
-nuts & seeds (unsalted if you're worried about that)
-an assortment of GF chips, cookies, and crackers
-whatever soups your DD can eat (whether in a box or a can or instant soup)
-grains like rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, and GF pastas
-jars of pickled veggies
-GF sugar-free cereal; GF oats if she tolerates them
-rice or soy milk boxes, cans of coconut milk
-lara bars, chocolate, whatever sweets you usually have for treats
That seems like a good assortment and lots of calories and all and most of it is easy for kids to deal with and little of it requires hot water or heating.

These are the kinds of ideas I'm looking for. Today I was thinking about the flat bananas they have at Trader Joe's. They can help with loose stools.At least I assume in a dried condition they could.

#27 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For how long?  How long are these kids supposed to survive on their diet without surviving adults?  And yes people can get very sick in those situations you're right.  However on the off chance my a$$ survives a disaster... I'm not going to worry about a diet.  I'm going to worry about how the hell I"m going to survive at all.  Holy ridiculous, you're hoping for a perfect situation in a disaster.  Say you do get all the foods you need stored and a disaster hits and somehow all the food you stored is destroyed too.  Then what?  And I'm being serious here.  There is no such thing as a perfect disaster.  I've had my disaster preparedness training.  Have you?

If I'm making an emergency kit, why would I include foods that would make my child sick? Maybe we won't get to the food, maybe it won't get transported with us.

But let's say it does. I truly want to know why I should pack foods that will make her sick?

#28 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM

I never said you had to pack foods that would make your kids sick.  I'm saying, you're going to have to dig a little further in case your perfect disaster preparedness does not materialize.

Quote:

If I'm making an emergency kit, why would I include foods that would make my child sick? Maybe we won't get to the food, maybe it won't get transported with us.

But let's say it does. I truly want to know why I should pack foods that will make her sick?

#29 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I never said you had to pack foods that would make your kids sick.  I'm saying, you're going to have to dig a little further in case your perfect disaster preparedness does not materialize.

That's why I'm here. I'm trying to get info from folks who may have already figured this out. The Red Cross referred me to online foods, much like costco has. That's fine for me, my husband, and our son. In an emergency we could eat turkey on white bread with mayo. (gag.) But not my daughter. She would get diarrhea. So I'm trying to find out what is good to pack.

Trader Joe's has applesauce with carrots in squeeze bags. That would get her some vitamins. I hope.

#30 of 51 Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM

hmm... do you know something I don't know or are you just getting prepared for the 2012 hype?

Quote:

That's why I'm here. I'm trying to get info from folks who may have already figured this out. The Red Cross referred me to online foods, much like costco has. That's fine for me, my husband, and our son. In an emergency we could eat turkey on white bread with mayo. (gag.) But not my daughter. She would get diarrhea. So I'm trying to find out what is good to pack.

Trader Joe's has applesauce with carrots in squeeze bags. That would get her some vitamins. I hope.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page