What are your thoughts on seaweed from a Japanese restaurant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas,

I have a 3 year old who loves seaweed salad from our local sushi place and am myself craving it while pregnant. I have already had it a handful of times through my pregnancy and had kind of an "oh, $h1t!" moment today when I found out that they DO import it from Japan and I had it after Fukashima (August-November was the handful of times). I am not even sure if they use fresh seaweed, frozen seaweed or WHAT to make the salad, but after doing some research there is so much conflicting information on whether the radiation risks from eating it outweigh the natural benefits of it. Do you think I put myself, my son, and the unborn baby in danger by eating the salad?

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

I'm shocked you know it's from Japan??!! Everything we can get is China only and I worry about that stuff- we could not even get Japan before and we aren't giving it to our 4 year old--I can't find any supplier I trust as far as a safe product.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

I called and asked where it is from. The distributor said it's from China and Japan, but that the restaurant I referred to is from Japan.

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#4 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

www.seaveg.com is the web address on the back of a bag of Maine certified organic kelp I picked up at the local HF coop. I don't know what other products they have, but this one is from the US.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 6 Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

thanks -but the nori (what I would be interested in) is also from China that they have irked.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 6 Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 AM

The minimal amount of nori you ate will probably not put you at risk.  Nori is not farmed near Fukushima AFAIK.   Also it is very likely what you ate was processed long before 3/11.  Just to ease your mind. 

HTH

Kathryn

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page