Probiotic for Infant and Mom? Recommendations please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good morning!

My son is just over 6 months old, and a little over 10 pounds.  He spent his first 39 days in the NICU, and i know his gut took on a full-on assault.  He had several rounds of ABX.  Then they MADE me give him formula...and now that we are home, he is on a mix of breastmilk and goat milk.  

He is terribly allergic to milk.  I'm not wise enough to tell you if it's lactose or casein, BUT I do know that during our stint at the hospital over New Year's...once again we were berrated into putting him on a lactose-sensitive Similac, he broke out!

My perfect little one has a brain injury from his birth.  

I need a probiotic for him and me.  We have given him straight acidophillus, but I know that we need more.  And i own an infant probiotic from Radiant Life, but it is dairy-based.  HELP PLEASE!

Mrs B

#2 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM

You need to give your LO a probiotic specific to infants. Acidophilus isn't the primary strain in an infant's gut. When my dd was hospitalized at 7.5 wo and given heavy duty antibiotics both by injection and orally, we found that Natren's healthy start not only worked the best, but was the only one she was able to fully tolerate. My oldest dd also took it for thrush after two rounds of rx medication did not clear it up. I also took the adult version called Healthy Trinity for nipple thrush and yeast. The only thing that worked for us.
GL
HTH

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! 

we already own the Natren for Infants (Life Start), and it has a dairy-base...so it's out.

Mrs B

#4 of 4 Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 AM

I recommend Klaire Labs probiotics.  They are completely dairy-free and are high potency.  They make an infant formula that works wonders.   Their Ther-Biotic Complete is the one I recommend to adults.  Get them from a company who keeps them refrigerated.

I hope this helps!

-Becky

www.getpurevitality.com

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page