need party food ideas quick before DH orders catering... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-05-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me start by saying we pretty much make everything from scratch except noodles.  This week is going to slam us and baby's birthday party is on Sat.  With work, school, big kids' activities we have VERY little time to get a menus together, especially since we were all sick with a stomach virus last week (we have lots of make up laundry/housekeeping to do).  Can you give me some super duper easy things I can serve our guests that wont take a lot of time to prepare?  DH wants to buy sanwhich trays and salad from a catering place - it is very good but I HATE to do it if we dont have to.  I cant really go to our usual go-to menu b/c it is a bit too much to prepare with little time.  I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.  Oh, we'll have about 25 people, plus 4 kids, 2 babies, and maybe a few extra stragglers here and there. 

#2 of 8 Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Are you talking snacks or a meal?

Real easy party food for snacks -

hummus, pita triangles and veggies

Fruit tray - at this time of year, sliced apples, sectioned oranges, if you can find them, some grape clusters. 

Cheese tray - Go simple, some cheddar, some jack, maybe some swiss or something else a little "fancier".  If you want to put out bread/rolls for sandwiches, go for slices - either buy presliced or have the deli counter slice it.  If you want to skip the breads, just cut it into cubes, a good size for finger foods. 

Sandwich tray - again, if you want to skip the sandwiches, do.  If not, a couple different types of rolls, a dish of mustard, and some sliced meats (turkey, ham, salami).  If you want to just do the meats, you can buy them unsliced (in a chunk) from the deli counter and cut into cubes just like the cheese.  Put out some toothpicks for spearing - kids love that.  Alternately, you can just put out crackers instead of breads and let people assemble their own little cracker sandwiches. 

The above is pretty much what we did for DS' 1st bday.  None of it took all that much time to prep.  I started the hummus 3 days before (soaking the dry chickpeas), cooked them on Thursday, pureed them on Friday, served on Saturday.  Then I made cupcakes for dessert, and called it good.  We had about 40-ish people and nobody went home hungry. 

Do you have anyone who might be willing to bring a dish?  Deviled eggs are always a hit, if someone else makes them (too time consuming for me).  Another easy quick dish I've done in the past is tortellini boiled and chilled, then skewered served with a cold sauce (usually something like pesto cream).  Again, make ahead, not a lot of work, and yummy. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM

I second all the ideas above.

I'll add:

Pigs in a blanket

Ants on a log

Chips and Salsa

Anything you can throw in a crockpot and just turn on and leave like beans or chili

Easy baked things work well too, and are filling like lasagna

Salads (veggie/fruit/ambrosia/potato/coleslaw etc.)

Make your own stations (sandwiches/sundaes/plain yogurt with fillings etc.)

Some of these aren't the healthiest of choices, but they give you some ideas that you may be able to jump off of.

Additionally, you may be able over the next week be able to have the older kids spend a little bit of time prepping here and there and then throwing it in the fridge/freezer for making the day of.

Good luck!

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#4 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I'll suggest a go-to menu at our house -

crockpot pulled pork with rolls

potato salad (with a honey dijon vinaigrette dressing)

pasta salad

They can all be made ahead and served at room temp. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 8 Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's cold here so I've got winter dishes in mind

Jacket potatos, put out a few toppings, tuna mayo, cheese, sour cream, maybe even a chilli if you have time to make it.

Soup and crusty bread. You could make the soup a day or two before the party and just reheat.

#6 of 8 Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.  We are doing pasta salad, potato salad, chips, and a crock pot something.  easy peasy!  Thanks!

#7 of 8 Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I'll suggest a go-to menu at our house -

crockpot pulled pork with rolls

potato salad (with a honey dijon vinaigrette dressing)

pasta salad

They can all be made ahead and served at room temp. :-)

Can you share the potato salad recipe???

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#8 of 8 Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post

Can you share the potato salad recipe???

Sure! It's sooooo good - here it is on my blog. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page